Keep Coach Greg McDermott

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
For me, I want to see how this season ends before I make a decision on McDermott. After Saturday, we have 5 straight games that are very winnable. In these games, If we win at least 2 or 3 of them, he should come back. If we finish with less than two more wins, then it's going to be difficult for me to support McDermott as our coach next year.

I would like to remind you all that our home conference games have been brutal to this point. Let's see how they play at home against non-top ten teams before we decide McDermott's fate one way or another.

Win at least 2-3 more games? So going 4-12 or 5-11 in conference is ok with you? Wow where have our standards gone?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Still finding it hard to believe that everyone is melting down over this one. Missouri is a really good team, and we took them completely out of their game. This game is disappointing, but in comparison to others, not nearly as much because our defense helped well, and kept us in the game. If shots were falling, this would have been a win. We have been getting beat even when the shots were falling, so I think this is a step forward. But carry on...

Once again they are an unranked team that is down from last year...not a bad team but its a melt down because we arent beating ANYONE! McD needs to go and for anyone to say he doesnt is just ridiculous. A step fwd would have been playing well against KSU last week, now its taking mizzou out of their game and still losing? Had shots been falling? You mean like countless layups and dunks? The guys played harder yes and loved seeing that but cmon....I am proud of how hard they fought being really shorthanded though:skeptical:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Win at least 2-3 more games? So going 4-12 or 5-11 in conference is ok with you? Wow where have our standards gone?

I wouldn't say that it is okay, but it would buy him another year. Also, I think that Brackins and Gilstrap's decision may impact the decision. If they both come back, this team still has an opportunity to be good next year. He would have a Senior laden team to see exactly what he can do. If he doesn't succeed next year, then you go find a new coach.

It isn't a coincidence that UNI is being very successful when it has a team full of seniors and ISU struggles when their only seniors consist of a newcomer and a guy that's been hurt all season.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Seriously it's time for a change, i like G Mac as a person and a coach in the Missouri Valley, he was one hell of a coach there, i really think Pollard made a mistake in hiring him. He's had 4 years to produce, he hasn't yet. He's had plenty of talent around him all 4 years. Last night was just icing on the cake, let 25 seconds go off the clock before even getting a look at the basket. It's under a minute move and move quickly don't just pass it around SOMEONE SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!!

We now need to stay behind this team as much as we can, hopefully the NCAA will let Quez stay. Maybe next year we will be competitive.

my .02 cents....

LikeACyclone

May 20, 2008
Atlantic, IA
There is one thing that the op touched on that does concern me. That being stability. I have gotten the feeling, especially during this season, that Gmac is not the man for the job. He really does seem like a great guy but he simply hasn't accomplished much when it comes to the win column. I would love to think that giving him stability and support would translate to some great seasons but i just don't see that happening at this point.

But back to my original thought it also makes me wonder if a new coach is a great answer either. I like the idea of stability and support to create a true "program", so does a new coach just set back that idea again? It is getting really old with this 4-6 year revolving coaching door.

I still feel like Mac needs to go but i don't like the options any way you cut it. Seems like a lose lose situation at least for the near future.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Your opinion is fine... I assume you held the same opinion about the previous coach, who was significantly more successful than the current coach?

If not, its just another personal opinion based on liking the current coach personally rather than his job performance. Yeah Greg is a nice guy, but so are millions of other people. Gotta succeed, and results do matter.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Sorry to inform everyone but, APATHY has set in for me. I really don't care anymore about the basketball program. Will I still root for them???? Ya probably, however, when I find myself not even looking at the schedule anymore because I don't want to know who the next loss is coming to.....nevermind......it's just hard to get excited anymore........when exactly does football season begin again?
Could I have the rest of your season basketball tickets? I have a couple of friends who would like to use them!:yes:

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Still finding it hard to believe that everyone is melting down over this one. Missouri is a really good team, and we took them completely out of their game. This game is disappointing, but in comparison to others, not nearly as much because our defense helped well, and kept us in the game. If shots were falling, this would have been a win. We have been getting beat even when the shots were falling, so I think this is a step forward. But carry on...

I would have held up my glass and said cheers to your moral victory.......last year.
But I made a promise to myself that I'm done with all of that in year 4.
We couldnt even make lay-ups last night so lets not get too warm and fuzzy.

Reactions: WalkingCY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I just don't understand why everyone is calling for Mac's job before the season is even over. I don't see how this productive. Go out and support your team for the remaining four home games. If, at the end of the season this team still hasn't shown you anything then have this conversation. We have 8+ games left people.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I just don't understand why everyone is calling for Mac's job before the season is even over. I don't see how this productive. Go out and support your team for the remaining four home games. If, at the end of the season this team still hasn't shown you anything then have this conversation. We have 8+ games left people.

The problem is, it will take a magical run for us to even have a shot at the NIT this season. I guess maybe things will turn around and get better and we sneak into the NIT in year 4... if you are pleased with one NIT in 4 years than I can see how that prospect excites you. But most believe our program can do better (based on the 25 years of basketball before GM got here).

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
i think he deserves one more year, but if he loses colvin, or has another under .500 season, i can't stand behind him much longer

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The problem is, it will take a magical run for us to even have a shot at the NIT this season. I guess maybe things will turn around and get better and we sneak into the NIT in year 4... if you are pleased with one NIT in 4 years than I can see how that prospect excites you. But most believe our program can do better (based on the 25 years of basketball before GM got here).

None of that addresses the question of the poster when he asked how it is productive to give up on the team and demand the termination of the coach during the season.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
then don't read my posts.

why don't all of you who want to ***** and moan without interruption from people who argue for supporting the team go create a website were you can limit the members to those that agree with you?
Because I'd miss this spirited back and forth.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
I don't understand the argument about keeping GMAC for stability reasons. We have been anything but stable with GMAC at the helm. We have transfer after transfer after people quitting after people getting kicked off the team. It really cannot get any worse!!

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
It is about time we see people on here supporting our coach along with the team. The nay-sayers will bad mouth a new coach in a few years if we don't win then. Have faith and hopefully things will turn around.