Bye bye James Carpenter

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm sorry, but recruiting players who are analyzing team depth charts and looking for the least competition is not the way to climb up the conference ladder. I'd like players with a little more heart and internal drive...
A couple of years ago, USC had ten four and five star running backs on their roster. At the same time. What good did "heart and internal drive" do for say, #'s 5-10 on the depth chart?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Its not necessarily about having the least competition, but rather the highest possibility of starting.

I agree, I want players with heart and internal drive also, but a lot of these guys want to play right away, not have to practice for two years and wait for the starting spot to open up for them when a much better player finally graduates.
One thing I like about Chiz is that he's willing to play the best player at a position, regardless of where they are in their collegiate career. That gives an incoming Freshman or Juco transfer the comfort of knowing they won't be buried if they are good enough to start.

A couple of years ago, USC had ten four and five star running backs on their roster. At the same time. What good did "heart and internal drive" do for say, #'s 5-10 on the depth chart?

Have you seen the cheerleaders at USC? It's not always just about football.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
A. Chill out.

B. If you're choosing a school based on allegiance, you're being an idiot. You're a kid in high school, and you're making a major life decision based on who talked to you first? That's like walking into a bar and marrying the first guy who talks to you. You have allegiance after you sign, or even after you commit, not before.

C. While I appreciate Vanstrom's 4 years of towel waving, it would seem to me he should have spent more time watching what was going on on the field as opposed to the stands, and he might have had a better chance at getting in the game and contributing on the field. We have plenty of cheerleaders and people with drums and horns in funny hats and alumni in jerseys with a microphone to get the crowd pumped up. We don't need linemen doing it as well. Their job is to play football not be cheerleaders, though they would look quite amusing in the little skirts.

D. While I'm sure recruits do read message boards, I do hope they aren't making life decisions based on what the read from the posters on here. If they do, they are, again, being idiots. They would be eating fish sandwiches and hanging themselves off bridges if they read most of the ISU game threads this year. If they are just now picking up that they might not get playing time at Ohio State or USC but that they will get it here, they aren't taking their choices very seriously.

I don't need to chill out, but thank you for your concern none-the-less.
This is true. There are recruits that have chosen to commit to the school that first offered them, whether you choose to call them, your choice of word, an idiot, or not.
As to the flag waving, what you are saying is that we wouldn't have made fun of Vanstrom if he had chosen to do nothing but stare at the field.
He could have saved himself the embarrasment and ridicule if he had done nothing.
As to your statement about people who read message boards, and believe what is written there, and if they do, they are, again, your choice of word, idiots, ....... there are people in this world that suffer from depression, they have self esteem issues, crticism and sarcasm devastate their psyche. I seem to recall a fifteen year old that believed in a contrived on-line romance. When she was spurned, she took her own life.
If indeed it is true Stevie Hicks suffered from depression and self-esteem issues, I hope that not one thing ever said on this message board took one moment of happiness from his tragically shortened life. People read message boards, and words do affect them. God bless the Hick's family and everyone who cared for him.

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
Considering that Bama currently has 2 seniors and 3 juniors on their offensive line. There could be some positions opening up. It is a possibility that one of those juniors will be leaving for the NFL after the year.

There is going to be some playing time available.

I am bummed about Carpenter not being a Cyclone, but I really wasn't banking on him attending ISU.

sandhawk20

Sep 16, 2008
Re: Carpenter - its official

he's going to Alabama.....

Says a lot about the young man, we believed in him when nobody else did, and where was his loyalty.....

Guess its all about him....

Hope he gets to Alabama and sits the bench for two years.....

NEXT!!!!!!!!!

Who else would it be about?

Your statement about sitting on the bench for two years is probably correct, and many of these young men should factor that in...but I don't think they are getting the most "truthful" info about playing time from these "big time" program recruiters.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Says a lot about the young man, we believed in him when nobody else did, and where was his loyalty.....
Yeah, and guess how many guys, once we placed them at a juco, we ever offered again? "Loyalty" is a two way street. At least the kid saw fit to visit us.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If I was an offensive star, I would go big 12. i was a defensive star, I would go SEC. If I was looking academic and not much of a player, I would go Big Ten. If I was neither, I would MVC.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Like Bobby Elliott mentioned in the RAG . . college football has changed and is almost unrecognizable today. College football is now a bastion of money . . the rich get richer the poor get poorer. One of these days the whole thing will come crashing down . . if only we can find players of integrity and honor.

Reactions: Balrog

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

This is one of the most selfish posts I have ever read! You wish him no success just because he is not going to be a Cyclone! If I was in the same position as him as an 18 year old and had to choose between ISU and Bama, I would take Bama currently too!

Pathetic!:no:
I actually agree with the majority of the things said during this thread except that i was pathetic....

Couple things to remember, as an 18 year old, he committed to ISU - that is for sure. And by the way, he had no other major college offers at the time besides ISU. Now as a 20 year old, all these schools come calling. The one factor i should have considered and its a big factor is he's from Georgia and Alabama is a lot closer to his home area then ISU. That would have a big influence on me if it were my decision - but, ultimately, its about where do i think i will develop the most - because the development is what molds high school players into NFL caliber players and he must think that is Alabama for him.

I this how we treat prospects? I hope $ isn't reading this.

The conditions between Money and Carpenter are completely different. Carpenter was an ISU commit, we believed in this young man when no one else would give him a scholarship. He didnt make it into college and we continued to recruit him while in JUCO but now with his game progressing just as our staff had envisioned it would - he's now a hot prospect.

No real bitterness towards the guy - just mad that he left us for the ol mighty ALABAMA....and Nick Saben...

What i was discussing earlier was this regarding playing time.

If he does in fact go to Alabama and start - his career is no doubt in the limelight and his chances of getting to the NFL will be greatly enhanced.

But, if he goes to Alabama and he does not start, then imo he would have been better off at ISU where his chances of starting would have been greatly increased. Bottom line is, the guys that are starting regardless of SEC or BIG 12 have a definite advantage of developing into NFL caliber players over those sitting on the sidelines. And don't forget, he has two years to make his mark, he cannot afford to sit back and wait his turn to start for 2-3 years as he would have as a high schooler.

The players that sit the pine and then get drafted are even more rare then even making it to the NFL - you can name those guys on one hand.

Bottom line is, if someone is being recruited by ISU and they go elsewhere - i don't care how or what happens to their career, i only care about the guys that in fact do come to ISU.....And those guys i cheer regardless of wins/losses!!!!

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not sure how you can criticize a kid for going to'Bama. He didn't decommit.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I don't need to chill out, but thank you for your concern none-the-less.
This is true. There are recruits that have chosen to commit to the school that first offered them, whether you choose to call them, your choice of word, an idiot, or not.
As to the flag waving, what you are saying is that we wouldn't have made fun of Vanstrom if he had chosen to do nothing but stare at the field.
He could have saved himself the embarrasment and ridicule if he had done nothing.
As to your statement about people who read message boards, and believe what is written there, and if they do, they are, again, your choice of word, idiots, ....... there are people in this world that suffer from depression, they have self esteem issues, crticism and sarcasm devastate their psyche. I seem to recall a fifteen year old that believed in a contrived on-line romance. When she was spurned, she took her own life.
If indeed it is true Stevie Hicks suffered from depression and self-esteem issues, I hope that not one thing ever said on this message board took one moment of happiness from his tragically shortened life. People read message boards, and words do affect them. God bless the Hick's family and everyone who cared for him.

I didn't say that recruits who end up signing with the first school that recruited them are idiots, just that doing so for the sole reason that you were the first school that talked to them is an idiotic thing to do.

Yes, that's probably true. It's a pretty obvious thing, I think. I don't know anyone took him seriously as a lineman, and he brought that on himself. I don't know the kid. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I'm sure he worked hard, but I can assure you that he will be remembered more for waving towels than for playing football. The alternative would be to be a nondescript 3rd string lineman and graduate with pretty much nobody knowing who he was.

And, quite frankly, if they are choosing to play D1A football - especially BCS football -, you better get used to living life in the limelight. You're making the choice to be a celebrity, and there's a bunch of stuff that comes along with it - positive or negative, 18 year old kid or not.

I'm not going to, and I don't think anyone should, tiptoe around words just because someone might have emotional problems. They need to get help for their emotional problems, not have everyone pat them on the back constantly and have every word they say or type lay on pins and needles to keep from offending.

The comparison to the poor girl in Missouri is nuts. That girl killed herself over relationship problems because she was led on by some crazy woman pretending to be a 16 year old boy. That's way different than people mad that Jason Scales is playing running back instead of A-Rob because he's not as good of a runner.

Look, this board is full of people who fly off the handle for no real reason and make unreasonable, borderline psychotic statements about players and coaches - both positive and negative. If they don't want to deal with that, they ought to stay the heck away from the message boards (like the coaches all say they do). Again, if you take to heart what crazy people say on the internet, you're an idiot.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

he's going to Alabama.....

Guess its all about him....

Hope he gets to Alabama and sits the bench for two years.....

NEXT!!!!!!!!!
I would have to say it says he is a good decision maker!!

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008

IMO, great decision in his case! Would you rather go to a 2-9 team or a 12-0 team that could be playing for the SEC Championship and NC every year?

Players coming out of high school have no loyalty to a coach or a school just b/c they recruited him first! If people really believe that, then that is insane! It is what fits best for that certain player and gives him the best opportunities for the future and if his dream is to play in the NFL, Alabama is the way to go.

Who is the 2-9 team? We are 7-6.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL

Who is the 2-9 team? We are 7-6.

I forgot all about this post until it resurfaced yesterday!!

As for the above quote, I don't know where you were at in 2008 but that 2-9 team was ISU!!! Congrats again to the entire team and coaching staff for turning a 2-9 team into a 7-6 team in 2009!