Bye bye James Carpenter

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Re: Carpenter - its official

For Carpenter i was just pointing out that he was a nobody recruit and we believed in him, when it came time to return the favor he dashed for the limelight - i wish him no success.....

This is one of the most selfish posts I have ever read! You wish him no success just because he is not going to be a Cyclone! If I was in the same position as him as an 18 year old and had to choose between ISU and Bama, I would take Bama currently too!

Pathetic!:no:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

Well, is he going to sit on the bench at Alabama and just be on a winning team, or is he actually going to play. If he's actually going to start, it's an easy decision. If he's a bench warmer, than I don't understand. I never understood the guys who go to a big name school just to sit on the bench, as opposed to going somewhere else and starting.

What he said.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Honestly, I don't understand why we have anyone descent committed. Guys like Mosby, White, and Klein have some descent offers. Why they are with ISU is beyond me. I would not come to ISU to play football right now. Besides playing time (which you can almost any where), I don't know what Chizik is saying to convince these guys.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Honestly, I don't understand why we have anyone descent committed. Guys like Mosby, White, and Klein have some descent offers. Why they are with ISU is beyond me. I would not come to ISU to play football right now. Besides playing time (which you can almost any where), I don't know what Chizik is saying to convince these guys.

We have instant playing time for sale here at Iowa State. At bigger programs, recruits would have to compete with much better players for playing time, and they could potentially ride the pine for their entire college careers elsewhere.

Here, the only way to go is up. Chizik can sell these recruits on being the startup of a successful run, the likes of USF, or Kansas, Rutgers last year, etc. etc., teams coming out of nowhere and having success and getting national attention.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

Well, is he going to sit on the bench at Alabama and just be on a winning team, or is he actually going to play. If he's actually going to start, it's an easy decision. If he's a bench warmer, than I don't understand. I never understood the guys who go to a big name school just to sit on the bench, as opposed to going somewhere else and starting.

I don't think anyone commits to a school and plans on not playing. I am also sure Saben sell him with the pitch, "Come to Alabama you will be a great back-up."

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

he's going to Alabama.....

Says a lot about the young man, we believed in him when nobody else did, and where was his loyalty.....

Guess its all about him....

Hope he gets to Alabama and sits the bench for two years.....

NEXT!!!!!!!!!

I this how we treat prospects? I hope $ isn't reading this.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
We have instant playing time for sale here at Iowa State. At bigger programs, recruits would have to compete with much better players for playing time, and they could potentially ride the pine for their entire college careers elsewhere.

Here, the only way to go is up. Chizik can sell these recruits on being the startup of a successful run, the likes of USF, or Kansas, Rutgers last year, etc. etc., teams coming out of nowhere and having success and getting national attention.

Yes, ISU played a lot freshman this year. But every year there will be teams that play a lot freshman. Next year, Mizzou and KU will play a lot of young guys. But why would I go to ISU and play early, when I can go to Mizzou and play early?

IMO, I would never want to rebuild a program as a player. It's just my opinon but I'm sure a lot of recruits think this way too. Why go to a school with the hopes of winning, which may never come, when you can already go to a proven winner?

I'm looking at ISU from strictly a non-acemdemic and location stand point. If I didn't care about my education (a lot of recruits don't) and I didn't care about location (which is a negative for ISU anyway), why would I come here?

This is why winning at ISU is near impossible. Sure, there may be the random season with 7 wins, but that's about it.

I don't blame Carpenter at all, in fact, I would question his mental ability if he came to ISU.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Or maybe he thinks he can start and wants to compete amongst the best.

I mean, the other side to the playing time debate is, yeah you get playing time, but what does that mean? Especially if you're on a bad team?

And nothing against our program, but if you think you can start at Alabama or Oklahoma or Texas or Florida, but you know you can start at ISU, which would you choose? The one that's sort of "easy", or the one that is the challenge?

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think alot of recruits go to big time programs because they believe in what the coaching staff is selling them....if they believe they can learn from the staff how to become a great football player and win at the same time, why wouldn't that be a great selling point? Even if you only started for a few years....

I don't mean to get off subject, but I'll bet the coed's down in 'bama have...very good conversation skills. :smile:

Anyways, I love Chizik...but kmac you've got to quit fooling yourself...Chizik is not the only salesman out there. There are other great places to be as well, and as long as our committed recruits stick to their commitments with us then I am ok with the process. When you went to the career fair did you automatically accept a position with the first company that saw promise in you? I sure hope not.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Or maybe he thinks he can start and wants to compete amongst the best.

I mean, the other side to the playing time debate is, yeah you get playing time, but what does that mean? Especially if you're on a bad team?

And nothing against our program, but if you think you can start at Alabama or Oklahoma or Texas or Florida, but you know you can start at ISU, which would you choose? The one that's sort of "easy", or the one that is the challenge?

On the flip side, if you feel there is a strong chance that you won't be able to win the starting job at Alabama, OU, Texas or Florida because of the talent that is already there, do you go ahead and commit to them because you HOPE to be able to get that starting job? Or do you commit to a program like Iowa State because you KNOW you'll be able to win the starting job and have a great chance at making a huge impact and being noticed?

Its all about the next level for these guys, and getting paid to play. Guys like Matt Cassel and Tom Brady are the exception, NOT the norm.

Ellis Hobbs III is a great player, and has been solid in the NFL. Do you think he would have gotten a shot at the NFL if he had been riding the pine through his entire career at OU or Miami or somewhere like that? I'm not saying he couldn't have won the starting job at other programs, but if he hadn't won the starting job elsewhere, would he be where he is right now? I don't think so. He got great experience playing competitively on a weekly basis against great Big 12 offenses. The type of experience he wouldn't get by playing against another program's #2 offense in practice every day.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

You could talk to them all day and night about how they might not play at Alabama, Florida, or Texas, and they aren't going to believe it. After all, top recruits are 17 or 18 years old and they've been star athletes their whole lives. They don't know anything different, and if they assume they're on their way to the NFL as most of the do, the thought of not being good enough to start in college will not enter their minds.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
On the flip side, if you feel there is a strong chance that you won't be able to win the starting job at Alabama, OU, Texas or Florida because of the talent that is already there, do you go ahead and commit to them because you HOPE to be able to get that starting job? Or do you commit to a program like Iowa State because you KNOW you'll be able to win the starting job and have a great chance at making a huge impact and being noticed?

Maybe to just prove to yourself and all of your doubters that yes you can. Your also settling for less with ISU.

Its all about the next level for these guys, and getting paid to play. Guys like Matt Cassel and Tom Brady are the exception, NOT the norm.
How many ISU guys are in the NFL compared to Bama?

Ellis Hobbs III is a great player, and has been solid in the NFL. Do you think he would have gotten a shot at the NFL if he had been riding the pine through his entire career at OU or Miami or somewhere like that? I'm not saying he couldn't have won the starting job at other programs, but if he hadn't won the starting job elsewhere, would he be where he is right now? I don't think so. He got great experience playing competitively on a weekly basis against great Big 12 offenses. The type of experience he wouldn't get by playing against another program's #2 offense in practice every day.
The NFL will take a look at anyone and everyone. They are always looking for the next Tom Brady. Ellis would have had free agency to prove himself.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Ellis Hobbs III is a great player, and has been solid in the NFL. Do you think he would have gotten a shot at the NFL if he had been riding the pine through his entire career at OU or Miami or somewhere like that?

Ellis Hobbs was a first team all Big 12 player. I think he would have started at OU, Miami, or almost anywhere else.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Maybe to just prove to yourself and all of your doubters that yes you can. Your also settling for less with ISU.

How many ISU guys are in the NFL compared to Bama?

The NFL will take a look at anyone and everyone. They are always looking for the next Tom Brady. Ellis would have had free agency to prove himself.

If this last statement is true, and I believe that it is............then the preceding comments about what school you attend are without substance or completely contradictory!
We have all read recruiting services interviews with players answering the question "Why did you choose X over Y school when you could go anywhere" and some of them have responded, "I felt an allegiance to the first school that found me and believed in me." Maybe they weren't being candid?
Also, I don't know what is in the water around here today but we have inferred that if you come to ISU you are stupid and we have made fun of the seniors that wave towels to get the crowd excited. That's a great way to show a prospective recruit what we think of our programs.
Then we are critical of a poster who who has no interest in a recruit that has no interest in ISU?

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

Agree 100%. The NFL understands why there might be a great college QB who sits on the bench. There's only room for one starter at QB versus five starters on the OL. How many backup college offensive lineman have made it to the NFL? I don't know the answer, but I suspect it is very few.

Reactions: Balrog

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
If this last statement is true, and I believe that it is............then the preceding comments about what school you attend are without substance or completely contradictory!!!!!
We have all read recruiting services interviews with players answering the question "Why did you choose X over Y school when you could go anywhere" and some of them have responded, "I felt an allegiance to the first school that found me and believed in me." Maybe they weren't being candid?
Also, I don't know what is in the water around here today but we have inferred that if you come to ISU you are stupid and we have made fun of the seniors that wave towels to get the crowd excited. That's a great way to show a prospective recruit what we think of our programs.
Then we are critical of a poster who who has no interest in a recruit that has no interest in ISU?

A. Chill out.

B. If you're choosing a school based on allegiance, you're being an idiot. You're a kid in high school, and you're making a major life decision based on who talked to you first? That's like walking into a bar and marrying the first guy who talks to you. You have allegiance after you sign, or even after you commit, not before.

C. While I appreciate Vanstrom's 4 years of towel waving, it would seem to me he should have spent more time watching what was going on on the field as opposed to the stands, and he might have had a better chance at getting in the game and contributing on the field. We have plenty of cheerleaders and people with drums and horns in funny hats and alumni in jerseys with a microphone to get the crowd pumped up. We don't need linemen doing it as well. Their job is to play football not be cheerleaders, though they would look quite amusing in the little skirts.

D. While I'm sure recruits do read message boards, I do hope they aren't making life decisions based on what the read from the posters on here. If they do, they are, again, being idiots. They would be eating fish sandwiches and hanging themselves off bridges if they read most of the ISU game threads this year. If they are just now picking up that they might not get playing time at Ohio State or USC but that they will get it here, they aren't taking their choices very seriously.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

I'm sorry, but recruiting players who are analyzing team depth charts and looking for the least competition is not the way to climb up the conference ladder. I'd like players with a little more heart and internal drive...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I'm sorry, but recruiting players who are analyzing team depth charts and looking for the least competition is not the way to climb up the conference ladder. I'd like players with a little more heart and internal drive...

Its not necessarily about having the least competition, but rather the highest possibility of starting.

I agree, I want players with heart and internal drive also, but a lot of these guys want to play right away, not have to practice for two years and wait for the starting spot to open up for them when a much better player finally graduates.