DG

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He took a couple outside shots he likely should not have, but they were completely open looks. The FT miss hurt but, IMO, not why we lost.

Aside from that, he was pretty damn good last night. Assist numbers were down at 4, but we were not scoring the ball well. Just one turnover and 15 points.

Without solid, consistent play from DG, frankly - UNI beats us by double figures.

I'm ****** like no other we've lost 2 in a row that we should have won, but I must give this kid props - especially because I've been so hard on him.

He's proving his great play earlier in the season hasn't been a fluke.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
He took a couple outside shots he likely should not have, but they were completely open looks. The FT miss hurt but, IMO, not why we lost.

Aside from that, he was pretty damn good last night. Assist numbers were down at 4, but we were not scoring the ball well. Just one turnover and 15 points.

Without solid, consistent play from DG, frankly - UNI beats us by double figures.

I'm ****** like no other we've lost 2 in a row that we should have won, but I must give this kid props - especially because I've been so hard on him.

I agree completely.

Thought I'd get that in before the horde of haters makes it here.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

He played solid. Dribbles to much for a PG without really going anywhere IMO. Also needs to finish his layups going towards the hoop

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM

I am with you, I have been hard on DG, but he is certainly the least of problems

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I'd like to see him penetrate to the hoop more often. Eventually those layups are going to roll in. I can see that being a option for a major source of offense. I don't think it would be a bad idea to spread the floor and give him some chances at a one on one isolation play, when the opportunity presents itself that is.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He played solid. Dribbles to much for a PG without really going anywhere IMO. Also needs to finish his layups going towards the hoop

Certainly needs to still improve, but he's a ton better than he was at the same point last year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd like to see him penetrate to the hoop more often. Eventually those layups are going to roll in. I can see that being a option for a major source of offense. I don't think it would be a bad idea to spread the floor and give him some chances at a one on one isolation play, when the opportunity presents itself that is.

See ISU vs OU '08/'09 season.

That's really about how UNI defended DG and our team. Don't let the big scoring threats hurt ya and so be it if the point guard gets a few easy buckets.

DG did a nice job taking advantage and I'd like to see him drive the paint more, but some of his success last night was partly do to how UNI defended us.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Good post, but he also needs to serve as a catalyst when we're not getting any looks in the lane. Colvin was able to do that when he was in, he just made too many mistakes in the process.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Its a big reason ISU didnt get a chance to win (or lose) the game in OT, but even more so, ISU should have never been in that position...fewer turnovers and better shooting and ISU is up by 10 there at the end.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Good post, but he also needs to serve as a catalyst when we're not getting any looks in the lane. Colvin was able to do that when he was in, he just made too many mistakes in the process.

Colvin made no mistakes when in the lane last night. He had one TO

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There's no motion in our offense. If he picks up his dribble, he's trapped...

And that surprised me. After watching a couple other games, I thought our motion had improved significantly this year.

Another thing that wasn't what we've seen, is ball movement. It was non-existant. How many times did CB get doubled, or even Gillstrap, and they tried fighting through it and not pass it out, then around the perimeter to find the open man? Tons. Even the commentators said as much on several occassions.

This just wasn't the team we've seen in the opening couple games. And I don't think UNI had all that much to do with it.

I think DG took a few too many shots. But a few, even the misses, he had to. If they're going to leave you open, you have to take it from time to time - otherwise they'll just sag. But he had 14 attempts. I think JDM pointed out this morning that that was a 1/3rd of his season total. Can't hold the lack of assists over him, we missed a ton of shots, many of them ducks.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I love DG. He looks a lot better this year. His defender was sagging off him in the last game but he shot a decent 2/6 from the floor. If he can do that they'll eventually have to start getting out on him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And that surprised me. After watching a couple other games, I thought our motion had improved significantly this year.

There has been, but what I've seen in the last 2 games (and heard in the STL game) is that when the going gets tough, we revert back to old habits from the previous few seasons.

Which is maddening because, those old habits were not effective!

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

Completely disagree... He's better than he was last year.

The other team knows they don't have to guard him. Exactly, why everybody was standing around.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron