Jake Williams = Austin Flynn

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
He hasn't yet shown that knack for getting open or making clutch plays.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He hasn't yet shown that knack for getting open or making clutch plays.

I would call hauling in a 22 yard TD on 3rd and 16, down 7-3, on the road, to be pretty clutch. That play was HUGE. So often in the past, that's a draw play and field goal. Rather than settling for the field goal, we take the lead and set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a good throw by AA and a great catch by Jake.

Reactions: aauummm

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I would call hauling in a 22 yard TD on 3rd and 16, down 7-3, on the road, to be pretty clutch. That play was HUGE. So often in the past, that's a draw play and field goal. Rather than settling for the field goal, we take the lead and set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a good throw by AA and a great catch by Jake.

I would call it one good play. Clutch would be doing it week in and week out.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would call it one good play. Clutch would be doing it week in and week out.

To me, clutch means making a big play when you NEED a big play. We needed that play in a big way, and Williams (and AA) delivered.

I'm not saying Williams is a game in, game out clutch players. He hasn't played enough games to ascertain that. However, he made a very clutch play. One that if he doesn't make it, the game might have taken a different turn.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Comparing him to Austin is one thing. Saying that he's equal to Austin, on the basis of one or two catches, is ludicrous overstatement.

Reactions: AFlynn

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
To me, clutch means making a big play when you NEED a big play. We needed that play in a big way, and Williams (and AA) delivered.

I'm not saying Williams is a game in, game out clutch players. He hasn't played enough games to ascertain that. However, he made a very clutch play. One that if he doesn't make it, the game might have taken a different turn.

I think we are saying the same thing.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Flynn was a 4-star recruit, that played early in his career and his whole career. Jake is a walk-on 5th year senior just now getting his first td.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
When I say he is "equal" to Flynn, I mean he is finding that niche as a dependable guy that runs good routes and catches the ball when it is thrown to him to move the chains.

I don't know that I've seen him drop a pass yet. Of course he's only caught 4-5 balls, but that's saying alot right now.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
We have a multitude of receivers who could be the clutch saving grace of the team from week to week. I just hope arnaud puts it all together and digests this offense. It's a lot to learn. And 3rd Offense he's learned at ISU. He just needs to just learn to look off defenders instead of staring down receivers.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Flynn was a 4-star recruit, that played early in his career and his whole career. Jake is a walk-on 5th year senior just now getting his first td.

He is only a RSJr. according to Cyclones.com. He has been solid through the first few games it will be nice to have him around for another year if he continues to progress.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He has gone from "who did they say caught that pass" to the "walk-on that is making more catches than our 'stars'".
Is he Austin Flynn? No.
Has a begun making a bit of a name for himself? Yes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron