Is Cael Worth that $$? Should ISU have countered?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
In the blog, I point out Fennelly's value and worth...he makes $583,000 per year in base salary...and he pulls his own weight with 9700 fans per game. in 2008, ISU was 2nd in the sport of wrestling at just over 4000 per home meet...Cael's new deal, if its $500k per year, is more than ISU would generate in gate receipts for an entire home season.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Jon-whats Deaces view on this compared to yours. views in what this program (Iowa State athletics) has been and where it is now going with the defection

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Jon-whats Deaces view on this compared to yours. views in what this program (Iowa State athletics) has been and where it is now going with the defection

we are gonna talk about this at length on Monday...we spent 20 minutes talking about it this afternoon. It's a big deal.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Throwing that kind of money at a wrestling coach is basically like seeing who has the biggest junk. It will never pay for itself but some booster somewhere really wants to be good at wrastlin' so he can brag to his buddies...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
If the rumored contract amount is true.....then no, Pollard was right in not trying to match it. No wrestling coach is worth that much, period.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
seriously? I thought you were going to have some facts. How sure are we about $500k? is this something you pulled from CF or themat.com?

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Someone tell me why he would not be worth that much? Is he not a coach going for a National Championship every year like in all the other sports? I am sorry with the record that Cael had for Iowa State 3 big 12 championships (someone tell me when Iowa State had that before). If he would have been here a little bit longer a NAtional championship would have been here at Iowa State. I am sorry we let something real good go by.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Someone tell me why he would not be worth that much? Is he not a coach going for a National Championship every year like in all the other sports? I am sorry with the record that Cael had for Iowa State 3 big 12 championships (someone tell me when Iowa State had that before). If he would have been here a little bit longer a NAtional championship would have been here at Iowa State. I am sorry we let something real good go by.

The return on investment would never be realized. Its as simple as that. He could win NCAA championships every year and still not pull in enough money to justify that salary.

19Cy78

Mar 31, 2006
Great write up and question Jon.

NO, the reason I believe is he already set the bar, as the highest paid man, yes looking back should have placed a crazy buyout for the 159-0 ISU legend. But when they take out the highest paid coach with insanely stupid $$$ ISU could do nothing in the end.

Barta now has to be crapping his pants, because Brands is licking his chops and probably having his attny/agent working up demands as we speak.
I'd give Brands what he wants now or he'll have Metcalf "push" him around.:wink::goofy:

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
All time low when someone who is die hard cyclone won't even stick around. I've been a pollard lover until now.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Where is the money coming back? For comparison, Augie Garrido makes about $550,000 at Texas as a baseball coach. Not only do they still break even or make a profit, but look at all the pro's he has turned out. Those guys all come back as big donors, you don't have that in wrestling...

ISUAlum2002 - I agree, but will the fans be ok with mediocracy and no big 12 championships or a national title?

That will never happen. There are only a handfull of states and a couple of dozen programs that even care about Wrestling. ISU will always be among the top of the Big 12 and top 15 in the nation, even if I was coaching...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron