Is Cael Worth that $$? Should ISU have countered?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I am sorry with the record that Cael had for Iowa State 3 big 12 championships (someone tell me when Iowa State had that before). If he would have been here a little bit longer a NAtional championship would have been here at Iowa State. I am sorry we let something real good go by.

How do you know he would have won a NCAA title? In three seasons he hasnt came close. Sure they win the Big 12 title and quilify 10 but they fell flat at Nationals. They fell flat vs Iowa. He has coached 3 or 4 individual NCAA champs. Brands won twice in Iowa in the same span. Big meets are a lot about the mental side and being agressive something Cales teams lacked. I questioned those things we he was coach and still do.

Good blog Jon.

For the kind of once in a lifetime money do you really blame him for going. Put yourself in his shoes. No instate rival you have to go against, no big name coach in the state, lots of talent in the area, and he is getting paid.

Last edited:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
kingcy;1015316} For the kind of once in a lifetime money do you really blame him for going. Put yourself in his shoes. No instate rival you have to go against said:
I dont blame him for going, as you put it, its once in a lifetime money in a sport where he would have had to work 12-15 years to get what possibly he will get in three to five...that means being 34, and letting the interest work for you, vs being 44 and having to spend a lot of it along the way.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I dont blame him for going, as you put it, its once in a lifetime money in a sport where he would have had to work 12-15 years to get what possibly he will get in three to five...that means being 34, and letting the interest work for you, vs being 44 and having to spend a lot of it along the way.

Again Jon, are there some sort of facts out there regarding contract size?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
As much as this is going to hurt many - and it hurts to say...

Wrestling isn't a revenue sport and even though we love it because we have a history of being good at it, it will never bring in enough money or interest to warranty anywhere near that kind of money. Period.

Wrestling is a sport on the decline in just about every corner of the country and in just about every conference. Penn State is hedging their bets that they can use a brand new facility, a legend as their new coach and the hotbed of recruiting around them to create a new monopoly on the sport. It's a bet that will most likely result in victory after victory after victory - and will ultimately be another chapter in the downfall of wrestling as a collegiate sport as fewer schools have "elite" levels of success as things continue to consolidate.

Instead of expanding as a sport, wrestling is quickly becoming a costly program that AD's are looking at across the country for budget cuts. I am not happy that we lost Cael, but I would be even more upset if we were the only program to invest more on a coach than they could ever dream of bringing in as revenue.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Again Jon, are there some sort of facts out there regarding contract size?

In what I wrote, I made reference several times to a hypothetical with the money talk that is out there, and 'ifs'. Were I an ISU fan, I am hoping that its big money. If its not, then there are some tougher, less comfortable questions that have to be asked.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
In what I wrote, I made reference several times to a hypothetical with the money talk that is out there, and 'ifs'. Were I an ISU fan, I am hoping that its big money. If its not, then there are some tougher, less comfortable questions that have to be asked.

But Cael himself told KCCI's John Meyer that the increase in pay wasn't all that much, and certainly not this $500,000 figure thrown around. Seems to me, as you said, people don't want to consider other factors...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
But Cael himself told KCCI's John Meyer that the increase in pay wasn't all that much, and certainly not this $500,000 figure thrown around. Seems to me, as you said, people don't want to consider other factors...

So you expect him to say it was about the money to a fan base that is already pissed of at him.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Where is the money coming back? For comparison, Augie Garrido makes about $550,000 at Texas as a baseball coach. Not only do they still break even or make a profit, but look at all the pro's he has turned out. Those guys all come back as big donors, you don't have that in wrestling...

That will never happen. There are only a handfull of states and a couple of dozen programs that even care about Wrestling. ISU will always be among the top of the Big 12 and top 15 in the nation, even if I was coaching...
Texas has the biggest athletic budget in the conference, if not the nation. They might well be able to pay 500k/year for every one of their non-revenue sport coaches and still not hurt too badly.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
As much as this is going to hurt many - and it hurts to say...

Wrestling isn't a revenue sport and even though we love it because we have a history of being good at it, it will never bring in enough money or interest to warranty anywhere near that kind of money. Period.

You can say that about anything but football & basketball. We have to make decisions, sure, but if there's a place wrestling should be held to a higher standard its the state of Iowa.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Regarding the money: if you can get a donor to pay the $2.5 mil or whatever it is for Cael's salary then who cares?

Personally if I was worth 10s if not 100s of millions, I call up JP and say, I'll write a check to ISU to get Cael for the $2.5 mil.

I can understand the argument for not spending the money from the existing athletic budget, but I don't understand why you don't privately raise it and pay it out, as this is what Penn State apparently did..

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Cael is not worth that much but I still have a tough time believing that sum of money was offered.

If they were going all in why wouldn't they target Brands? Still isn't adding up to me.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
so why not just drop wrestling - since it does not bring in revenue like all the other sports and just depend on WBB, MBB, and Football since they bring in all the money. I believe thats what you are trying to say. I know that this sounds foolis to say, but from what I have read thats what it ound like

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
To everyone, we let someone go that brought pride to Iowa State athletics, I am wondering now if the program I am wondering what its going to take for us to lose Fennelly. I guess if someone offers him more money we will just let him go too. Sometimes you pay to let people stay, and if it i not about the money, then there is a bigger issue that we do not see. Do you really think we can bring in talent with no name coaches all the time?

Reactions: clones_jer

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Cael is not worth that much but I still have a tough time believing that sum of money was offered.

If they were going all in why wouldn't they target Brands? Still isn't adding up to me.

Between reading news reports and posts here on CF from other fans reading news reports, Terry Brands turned them down and some guy whose dad was a 3-time champ at UNI turned them down so I assume they talked to Tom Brands as well.

Does that mean CS was there 4th choice???? Hilarious if so. I'm done with Sanderson, good riddance.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
No counter offer. He was already the highest paid coach and still needs to prove himself over an extended tenure....period.

I think JP made the right moves for what is best for the overall health of the athletic dept. and is continuing to show why he is a great AD.

Rip away.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
That's a column based on a rumor. Now how about writing one taking into account Cael's statement about "not much of a raise" over ISU...

What part of that don't you understand??? Jon said the money we are hearing about..... We all heard that number. So until the real number comes out we can only speculate and that is what Jon is doing... He didn't verify it... He didn't prove it... He said speculation..

Your assumption of what Cael said is also speculation that he isn't making that much more...

Now lets take into account what Cael said in his interview....

He loves ISU wrestling and cares about it more then anyone (bull in my opinion that he left)

He wasn't getting much of a raise (so he is getting more money?? Interesting... Be a man and tell us)

He is taking his players with him (how low is that??)

So... If we take into account everything Cael says... My opinion about him gets lower and lower. He sounds classless and is taking the easy road out.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
The only wrestler that could do that was the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, but people were supposed to hate him.

Then it's done. We shall go to the pro wrestling ranks for our new head coach.

Jimmy Super Fly - wait he's dead.
Andre the Giant - wait he's dead.
Hulk Hogan???

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron