YouTube TV Questions

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Okay, I know streaming and cutting the cord have been discussed extensively in other threads, but hard to comb through those for specific information.

We are currently Mediacom cable and internet. Likely cutting the cord and keeping internet only with Mediacom (only other option is CenturyLink). We are 200-1G currently, considering bumping the internet up to 1G (both work from home still, plus two kids, multiple devices and streams.) We have Disney/ESPN+ bundle so between that and YouTube TV channels I think ISU and soccer are pretty well covered.

We already have a number of streaming services, so our main priorities here are sports (ISU/Iowa, All Soccer) and locals. We also want to be able to use at home and at a lakehouse, possibly share with our parents as well.

So, with that information, would love any feedback from those who are using it might have.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Currently you can’t subscribe to YTTV through Roku devices unless you are grandfathered in. That’s all I can add.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Currently you can’t subscribe to YTTV through Roku devices unless you are grandfathered in. That’s all I can add.

We just completed a trial using Roku. Wonder how we were grandfathered in.

We dumped it. We got out of the habit of watching live TV. I don't need to pay to watch reruns of "Love It or List It'

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

We dumped it. We got out of the habit of watching live TV. I don't need to pay to watch reruns of "Love It or List It'
That’s interesting. I had previously subscribed to YTTV through Roku, but wasn’t when they had their breakup. Now I can’t subscribe through any of my three Roku devices.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Especially since they always just love it, I mean come on, David found you a house in your price range with a pool and a 3 car garage.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I don't know about subscribing to YTTV through Roku..

I just signed up on the youtube tv website?

I use a Roku device to stream YoutubeTV though.

Get all the local channels, unlimited DVR, and plenty of sports.

Best option IMO

Also, you can download YTTV app again on Roku devices. If you don't have roku device you can use really anything else.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
They came back. It was a deadzone for a month or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
I split my YouTubeTV with my extended family so it is cheaper, however google tries to limit sharing outside of your household by requiring a “home area” and that you sign in in your home area at least once every 90 days. That hasn’t been a huge issue but maybe something to consider if your parents live far away.

Otherwise it has been great for all of my live sports needs. I’ve been able to watch all the cyclone football and basketball (except ESPN+ games) along with other CFB and CBB and NBA. It’s also been good to catch local channels periodically and not need to have a digital antenna. So overall I would recommend it. The DVR feature is nice too.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Especially since they always just love it, I mean come on, David found you a house in your price range with a pool and a 3 car garage.

It has everything they asked for, plus a bonus surprise that I think just might tip the scales in my favor.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
One of the nice things about YoutubeTV is that you can share your account with others, and therefore share the cost. This works best if you are sharing with someone in your viewing area. There are workarounds if you are sharing with someone outside your viewing area, but it is kind of a pain.

• Agree
Reactions: ABECyguy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I don't think you can pay for YTTV through your Roku. You have to sign up via computer or other device.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I have had it the past year or so. Seems like a great service, and I run mine through a Firestick. Works well, the menus are easy and the dvr works killer (unlimited content to save, and easy to use)....

I would recommend it. Share it with friends or family to cut cost down a bit too......

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't think you can pay for YTTV through your Roku. You have to sign up via computer or other device.
That’s probably true. I have a roku tv and can watch YouTube tv on it, but I paid for it on my computer.

I also love YouTube tv, the only “downside” (and it’s a very small one) is that there’s more of a delay on sports than with cable (probably about 30 seconds). So it’s harder to sync the radio and tv and you may have to careful about not getting spoilers (e.g. for the Iowa state texas game in Austin where it came down to a kick my parents saw it on cable, called me, and I hadn’t seen the kick yet).

Reactions: JustBecause

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I split my YouTubeTV with my extended family so it is cheaper, however google tries to limit sharing outside of your household by requiring a “home area” and that you sign in in your home area at least once every 90 days. That hasn’t been a huge issue but maybe something to consider if your parents live far away.

Otherwise it has been great for all of my live sports needs. I’ve been able to watch all the cyclone football and basketball (except ESPN+ games) along with other CFB and CBB and NBA. It’s also been good to catch local channels periodically and not need to have a digital antenna. So overall I would recommend it. The DVR feature is nice too.
1652983575764.png

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That’s probably true. I have a roku tv and can watch YouTube tv on it, but I paid for it on my computer.

I also love YouTube tv, the only “downside” (and it’s a very small one) is that there’s more of a delay on sports than with cable (probably about 30 seconds). So it’s harder to sync the radio and tv and you may have to careful about not getting spoilers (e.g. for the Iowa state texas game in Austin where it came down to a kick my parents saw it on cable, called me, and I hadn’t seen the kick yet).

Yeah. Noticed the delay on sports wagering as well. Tough to do live wagers when the book has a 30 second advantage.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Love YTTV. Beware, items on the dvr do expire after a set amount of time. I'm not sure if it is the same amount of time for all things or if the channels get some say, but I've had several things expire.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Love YTTV. Beware, items on the dvr do expire after a set amount of time. I'm not sure if it is the same amount of time for all things or if the channels get some say, but I've had several things expire.

I believe they advertise that items in the DVR stay there for 9 months. But if you record a movie or something there is a good chance in 9 months it will be aired again and the 9 months will start all over. Sporting events...not so much...