You're the Commissioner. Now Fix Wrestling!

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
We are at 18.
That's simply crazy that they count indoor track separately from outdoor track. In that case, yep, I guess we have 18 for NCAA purposes. However, Iowa State's own website says we offer 16 sports.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Produce a glossary of all these great terms used in wrestling. Seriously, I love listening to the radio guys get all excited about what is happening, but lots of the time, I don't know what they are talking about.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am for this and against this. I don't want to have it turn into a Sumo match at times. Shoving someone out of bounds isn't really offensive wrestling, its more of an football blocking/tackling type of thing. They have the stalling for push outs, I think it just needs to be enforced better/consistent.

They could just officiate “fleeing the mat” differently without fundamentally changing the sport.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
My very first thing is implementing the return of the parallel ride stall call.

Make duals matter. I like @crablegs idea of giving team points to start with at nationals. I'd also have some sort of automatic loss if a kid is ducking. I would need to figure out how to properly know that

If a review takes longer than 90 seconds, the original call stands. At that point you're playing semantics like in football catch/no catch. Oh, and reviews have to be played in real time, not slow motion.

Get rid of reaction time. Go back to making a takedown black and white.

A collective bargaining agreement with the wrestlers/universities so all the schools are on a relatively equal playing field when it comes to NIL money, or allow the NIL to be exactly that, not wrestle for pay

Reactions: joefrog

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
For many universities, it can't be dropped. They must maintain at least 14 sports to be NCAA members (16 sports if FBS). ISU, for example is at that threshold already and cannot cut anything else
In the theoretical future college sports pay for play model.. there are no NCAA rules.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Eliminate stalling and move to a round-based scoring system. Have 5x90 second rounds. All resets go neutral. Riding time point is given at 30 seconds. Following a take-down, if neither wrestler is trying to score, reset to neutral. If no one has scored or the score is tied at the end of a round, it continues as sudden death until someone scores to win the round. Scores and riding time are not carried over between rounds. First to win 3 rounds wins the match. Tech fall is 3-0, Major is 3-1, 3-2 is normal decision. A fall ends the match. Takedowns are 2 points again. All other scoring is the same. Get rid of guarding the center and wrestling on the edge by pulling both wrestlers back to the center if they are outside the center circle and in a neutral position. If there is no action and both wrestlers are outside the center circle (make it a foot or two smaller), reset them back to the middle. Make it the official's job to pull action away from the edges. That should be easier without having to worry about stalling warnings/calls.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: 4theheckofit

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I think you do what JB said. Make a push out worth a point. You do this and wrestling on the edge stops looking like a good option.
This and bring the middle of the mat into play. Give an extra point for staying within the middle for 30 secs or a minute?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
This and bring the middle of the mat into play. Give an extra point for staying within the middle for 30 secs or a minute?
I don't like either option - it gives officials more they have to focus on and track. It is evident that their jobs need to be easier and not more complicated. Also, if someone wants to be rewarded for shoving an opponent out of the ring, there is already an entire sport for that. Reward grappling, not sumo.

Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I also think alternative match formats (not style) should be accepted as valid results in NCAA qualification/seeding decisions. So, if some national tournament wants to change up the rules a bit (like adopt the above) to test how it works competitively, the results can still be considered (counted). Make it easier to try new things to find out what works/doesn't work.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you want to increase viewership, take it back to its roots. Go olympic style and wrestle naked. You'd get more women watching the men and more men watching the women.

• Funny
Reactions: ABECyguy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
1. Female managers screaming at the wrestler to "quit being a p###y!"
2. Full masks
3. Tag team matches
4. Pre match trash talking speech/interviews
5. More stalling calls.
6. No points for escapes
7. You lose a point if you are riding your opponent for more than 10 consecutive seconds. Let him go (no escape points) and get after it again.

• Creative
  • Dislike
Reactions: Cycsk and csteve

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
I would like the refs to give five swipes/verbal count when wrestlers are on their feet. Similar to when they drop to an ankle. Return the bottom wrestler in the 5 count or cut them, otherwise its a stalling call. Chittum vs Downey in the Big12's was painful to watch as Downey "stalled" on his feet imo. I would like to max riding time at 90 seconds & any restarts after 90 are in the neutral position. Top stalling needs called more. Someone already mentioned parallel riding as a problem.

I really liked the addition of neutral danger.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron