Your CRIME story

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I got cuffed and thrown in the back of a squad car on Sunset Boulevard in LA. They had the drawn guns and the cop on the loud speaker telling me to show my hands and step out slowly. They frisked me too.

It was all a case of mistaken identity. I was an Iowa farm boy on vacation in the big city and had picked up a guy whose car was stalled at an intersection to give him a ride home.

Turns out the stalled car had been involved in a hit-and-run accident a few blocks back. The guys he hit had taken off on foot after him (the traffic was pretty bad), caught him at a red light at an intersection and took his keys out of the ignition.

Meanwhile, I was lost, after visiting the Comedy Store, and couldn't find the turn that would take me back to my hotel. This is WAY before GPS.

I pulled over into a side street to look at a map and found that the street I had come in on had changed its name right in the middle of it, so the street I was looking for didn't actually intersect with Sunset. I pulled back on Sunset and found the right street, which just so happened to be the one where the car was stalled in the turning lane.

I had no clue what was going on and pulled in right in back of him because I had to turn there too. This guy about my age immediately came up to my window and asked me for a ride to his house so he could get a spare set of keys. He had somehow lost them in the middle of the road. (I didn't know about the hit and run then).

I agreed to help him, he got in my car and I pulled back into traffic shortly before the cops came. They got there in time to see me leaving and pulled me over about two blocks later. After the dust settled, the cops told me they thought I was the hit and run vehicle. They pulled up on the scene, saw two cars at the intersection and one leaving and just made an assumption.

I sat in the back of the squad car for about half an hour while they sorted it out.

OH, yeah, I had been drinking too. But this was back in the day when cops didn't bust you for drunken driving unless you were really blitzed out of your gourd and stumbling around drunk. I knew I would be driving later in a huge, unfamiliar city so I didn't drink THAT much. I had maybe five beers over a 3-hour period at the Comedy Store.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I've gotten a dui, a couple MIP's, obstruction and a speeding ticket with the speed traveled reading 109mph.

The obstruction involved a high school friend visiting me in college, he and a couple of his friends were in town without my knowledge. Apparently there was a fight outside the bar, one of his friends mouths off to the cops, gets handcuffed thrown in the back of the squad car. A couple minutes later my friend lets him out of the car still handcuffed, they get in his car and head towards my house. On the way they are involved in a hit and run, which lead the cops back to my house, I wasn't home at the time but arrive a few minutes later seeing them trying to hacksaw the cuffs off the friend, less than 30 seconds later the cops come in guns blazing and arrest everyone at the house.

The same friend went on a drunken joyride in Omaha on NYE, we went from 60th and leavenworth to downtown weaving in out of the wrong lane of traffic, eventually turing up several one ways until a car stops in front of and turns on its "cherries", my friend swerves around the cop car speeds up the next street (wrong way on a one way again) and eventually takes out the streetlight in front of the bus station on 15th and lvnworth, we all scatter and find our own back the 50 blocks we traveled.This guy was around all but one time I was ever even question by law enforcement.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I had a two page driving record from 18-22. Many speeding tickets, 3 driving while suspended, 1 driving while barred, Habitch offender 4 year suspension. Got license back at 26 and have had about one ticket a year since. Luckily never had DUI and had all my fines before the state went bat **** with the dollar amounts. I probably still wouldn't have a license if that happened now, couldn't afford the fines.

Have a couple good arrest stories that are best saved for private drinking times. One close call that only 4 people know about to this day. Other guy & gal involved and my wife, young stupid stupid ****. It's a hell of a story, get me drunk I might tell.....if your not from around here.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Some friends and I were hanging at a friends house one night, it was the middle of winter and we had about a foot of snow on the ground. Its about 10p.m. and we decide to go outside and have a snowball fight. He lives near a pre-school building and they had playground equipment and stuff on the playground. We get the bright idea of jumping the fence and having a snowball fight in there. Well one of my friends ends up on the roof of the pre-school and one of the neighbor ladies saw him on the roof and us in the playground and proceeds to call the cops. We are all having a grand time when one of us yelled "Cop!". We all scatter in opposite directions and hide. The cop stops at the pre-school and shines his spot light around. He then pulled into my friend's driveway, got out and started knocking on his front door. Thats when we all high-tailed it out of their. Anyway, when we got back my friends dad was pi$$ed, we all got sent home but we weren't charged with anything. The cop had a lengthy conversation with us though.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Worked for Beer Baron in the 80's on West Lincoln Way - closing shift - locking doors, scrubbing floors, and balancing the register. I couldn't get the till to settle so I started reviewing sales and figuring out what got wrung up incorrectly. 10 minutes turned into an hour and it got late. Fixed the error and knew the boss Cecil would be ok with it the next day.

On the way out I saw a pile of cardboard that needed to be put in the dumpster so I grabbed it and went out the door while propping it open. After dumping the pile in the dumpster all I heard was "On your knees NOW! - lay down and put your hands flat on the ground." Ames PD had drawn down on me with shiny handguns. I did what they asked me to do.

Ames PD had been watching me and decided I was a robber who scrubbed floors, stocked shelves, balanced the books, and took the garbage out before making a hasty getaway. It got straightened out pretty quick but it was scary to me to have weapons drawn for taking out the garbage.

Funniest part was - the PD knew Cecil (Boss) and didn't want me to tell him about this because he would have raised holy hell with them. Cecil had a temper. Cecil needed a cause for his daily rants and this would have amounted to more ammunition than what was in those officers' guns that night.

I went home a little frazzled and had a couple Old Style fatties.

I never told Cecil - and he still doesn't know unless he reads this board now.

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
I have the right to remain silent. Anything I say or do can and will be held against me in the court of law. I have the right to speak to an attorney. If I cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for me. I understand these rights as they have been read to me.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Oct 6, 2011 will be my 10 year wedding anniversary. Isn't that enough!! December 14, 1996 I celebrated ISU's 81-74 hoops victory at Iowa a little too much. Spent the night in Linn Co lockup. My then girlfriend (wife in 5 years) worked nights at St Lukes Hospital. Let's just say when she came to pick me up at 11am, she was none too happy.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
When I was in high school a few buddies and I got in a habit of climbing on top of the new middle school in our hometown. We would take chairs up there and just hang out, because it was like 3 stories you could see almost everything. We would go up there and watch the July 4 fireworks and other stuff for example. We kept it a pretty good secret until we were gone. One night we were up there and we had left 2 cars in the parking lot with the windows down and for whatever reason a cop drove through the parking lot that night and saw our cars, and seeing that it was after midnight he came to check it out. He was shining his flashlight all over the place and couldn't find us so he thought something was wrong. Meanwhile another cop showed and started looking as well. They spent over an hour searching around the building while we watched from above in silence(not to mention it had started raining so we were freezing). Then they called all of our parents and our parents started calling us so we answered quietly and told them we were at another kids house. Thankfully nobody went to check.

They finally left at like 2 am and we were able to get down, we were soaked and freezing, but thankful we hadn't gotten caught.

A kid actually got caught up there this last year and was suspended for the football season so man am I glad we didn't get caught.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Damnn I didn't realize CF was filled with so many rebels. Most of your stories out do mine. I only have 3 speeding tickets and a couple of accident tickets. I've gotten lucky alot though especially drinking and doing dumb stuff in High School. Wrecked my car my senior year 4th of July hammered and put it in the ditch. Called my parents who were freakin out thinkin someone was gonna turn me in. They called tow company, everybody kept it hush and I was lucky to not receive anything there and miss my senior year baseball season.

Also on my 21st birthday I guess i stole a 5 lb tube of meat from a Ames bar's kitchen and several bar mats by shoving them down my pants apparently? No clue on anything that night passed 12:30 so very successful.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Damnn I didn't realize CF was filled with so many rebels. Most of your stories out do mine. I only have 3 speeding tickets and a couple of accident tickets. I've gotten lucky alot though especially drinking and doing dumb stuff in High School. Wrecked my car my senior year 4th of July hammered and put it in the ditch. Called my parents who were freakin out thinkin someone was gonna turn me in. They called tow company, everybody kept it hush and I was lucky to not receive anything there and miss my senior year baseball season.

Also on my 21st birthday I guess i stole a 5 lb tube of meat from a Ames bar's kitchen and several bar mats by shoving them down my pants apparently? No clue on anything that night passed 12:30 so very successful.

5 lb meat tube, huh?

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
My house was robbed on Wednesday night (while we were home) or sometime during the day on Thursday. They broke our basement window and stole my TV and cleaned out my safe. Needless to say that it is very scary to think someone was in our house and possibly walked into or at the least past our kids bedrooms. I have nevery had any thing like that happen before.

The good news is that they must not have been Hawkeye fans as they didn't take any of my Hawkeye stuff from the basement:smile:.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I got busted shoplifting in the 7th grade. I stole about $75 worth of football and baseball trading cards over a few weeks, and then I got lazy one time. I used to stuff them in the sleeves of my winter coat, and the alarms couldn't pick them up. But I just stuck them in my pockets the last time.

Anyway, the alarm goes off, and I take off sprinting out the door and down the street. I make it home and think I'm okay. Then a cop shows up at the house, and asks me some questions. I kinda stammer through it, lying through my teeth, but the cop buys it. My parents didn't.

I had a 4-H meeting that night, and when I got home, my parents told me that the cop had come back and told them it was confirmed that I had done it. So I spill my guts out, and my dad flipped ****.

Turns out, the cop DIDN'T come back. My parents Punk'd their 13-year old son :biggrin:

After that, I stayed out of trouble. I never wanted to see my parents look at me with such distrusting eyes ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The good news is that they must not have been Hawkeye fans as they didn't take any of my Hawkeye stuff from the basement:smile:.
You know that commercial where they steal everything but that old and busted computer? Its kinda like that. Thieves dont want worthless stuff. :smile:

Reactions: dualthreat

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Finally, after reading us the riot act he goes "where you boys heading to anyways?" We tell him the destination and he says "well, get the hell out of here and if I see this car back on the road tonight, you're all going to jail". It was damn nice of him, but I know that the only reason he let us go is because he pulled us over out of sheer boredom, without any probable cause, and all of our charges would have likely been dropped. I probably haven't gone for a true road tripping night since then.

Police officer boredom is probably the cause of most mitchell country tickets and party busts.

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
When I was in high school a few buddies and I got in a habit of climbing on top of the new middle school in our hometown.

Funny, we did the same thing back in high school. Product of having nothing to do in smalltown usa I suppose.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I got plenty of speeding tickets until I got a car with cruise control. Since then not too many.

Back in the day, I outrun multiple city police, 1 sheriff and 2 state troopers trying to pull me over, not because I was fast but I was close to a town when they were coming after me and was able to make a bunch of quick turns to get away from them.

One summer during college a couple buddies and I got a case of beer and drove to Mason City and then from there back to the home town busted 22 traffic signs (not stop signs or other imprtant signs by the way) and then when we got back home the last one we busted was a newer 4x6 post. It took forever to break but when it did it broke about a foot above ground level, snapped back hitting my kneecap cracking it. Man that hurt like heck. Served me right I guess

Stole tappers from parties from a few places where the hosts were less then cordial when we showed up.

Didn't have much to do with him much, but I did graduate with an idiot who is now on death row for killing 5 people in northern Iowa. Try playing those what-if scenarios in your head.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I got plenty of speeding tickets until I got a car with cruise control. Since then not too many.

Back in the day, I outrun multiple city police, 1 sheriff and 2 state troopers trying to pull me over, not because I was fast but I was close to a town when they were coming after me and was able to make a bunch of quick turns to get away from them.

One summer during college a couple buddies and I got a case of beer and drove to Mason City and then from there back to the home town busted 22 traffic signs (not stop signs or other imprtant signs by the way) and then when we got back home the last one we busted was a newer 4x6 post. It took forever to break but when it did it broke about a foot above ground level, snapped back hitting my kneecap cracking it. Man that hurt like heck. Served me right I guess

Stole tappers from parties from a few places where the hosts were less then cordial when we showed up.

Didn't have much to do with him much, but I did graduate with an idiot who is now on death row for killing 5 people in northern Iowa. Try playing those what-if scenarios in your head.

High School buddy of mine moved to Wyoming after High School to work in an above ground mine. He was a big guy 6'2'' and about 270 but not a brawler. He had a roommate who he didn't trust and couldn't get rid of. He had his little brother (6'4 and about 270 ) move out to Wyoming to help get the guy out of the house, which they were able to do. Eventually they moved back to town. We were watching the evening news one evening when their ex-roomate showed up on the national news for killing five people including a Highway patrolman with a blunt object. I will never forget the looks on their faces.

Last edited: