You should root for UNI.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
I don't understand why ...
even though most of the fans from those schools are anti Iowa State.
Ok. Really? The point of my post was to help you understand that exact "why?" #3 Learning about Defense, for example. You might note the mental and physical effort that it takes to be in the right place at the right time in the flow of the game. That's impressive. You can be a Basketball fan and find rock climbing impressive. You should be able to be a Basketball-Offense fan and find intelligent defense impressive. But you would have to watch it enough to be able to see what is happening on the court.

Also, regarding "anti Iowa State," "We root for you" was my reason #4. I do have to agree that over the last couple years, as Iowa State has grown to be a steady Top 10 basketball program, you've started treating UNI more like little brother, and some UNI fans are probably pretty quickly put off by that.

Nevertheless, this isn't about right and wrong. Hate UNI if you want, I guess.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Ok. Really? The point of my post was to help you understand that exact "why?" #3 Learning about Defense, for example. You might note the mental and physical effort that it takes to be in the right place at the right time in the flow of the game. That's impressive. You can be a Basketball fan and find rock climbing impressive. You should be able to be a Basketball-Offense fan and find intelligent defense impressive. But you would have to watch it enough to be able to see what is happening on the court.

Also, regarding "anti Iowa State," "We root for you" was my reason #4. I do have to agree that over the last couple years, as Iowa State has grown to be a steady Top 10 basketball program, you've started treating UNI more like little brother, and some UNI fans are probably pretty quickly put off by that.

Thats because you are.

NebraskaCyclone

Sep 15, 2011
Nebraska
Why do you care so much to have Cyclone fans supporting your team? To the point of coming on a fan message board to layout a detailed point by point reasoning why? As if people here are going to read that and go, "You know that's right. I'm finding my purple and gold and taking a last minute flight to Seattle, or inviting all Clone fans I know over to watch the game."

I don't get it. Most times ISU gets beat I hear nothing but jabs and jokes from Iowa & UNI fans (and I'm talking mean stuff, not good natured fun)....and then I'm supposed to just jump on board with you? I wish you no ill will, but why you need my phony fandom is beyond me.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Ok. Really? The point of my post was to help you understand that exact "why?" #3 Learning about Defense, for example. You might note the mental and physical effort that it takes to be in the right place at the right time in the flow of the game.

This is twocoach-level posting. Condescendingly trying to inform the lesser fans.

"Watch UNI, we can teach you about defense, which is a concept you have never seen before in your whimsical Big 12 Conference. You can note the mental and physical effort that our UNI players have - it will be a new experience for fans of a team full of thugs that jack up threes all game"

C'mon man

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
Why do you care so much to have Cyclone fans supporting your team? ...
I don't get it. Most times ISU gets beat ...
Because I'm a sports fan and like talking sports.
Because I find Holberg a respectable guy.

On the other hand, you might be overstating how much I care, and how much "effort" it takes to post in a forum.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I guess I don't have to root for UNI...

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
... Condescendingly...

C'mon man
Not trying to be condescending. Our team focuses on something different than yours. How is it condescending to say we're better at our focus???
There are a lot of things in the game that ISU is far better at than UNI. Obviously true.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Not trying to be condescending. Our team focuses on something different than yours. How is it condescending to say we're better at our focus???
There are a lot of things in the game that ISU is far better at than UNI. Obviously true.

How is it not condescending to say ISU fans can "learn about defense" by watching UNI? Do you think we never see any team playing defense over the course of a 34-game season in a power conference? We've seen real basketball every night because we aren't playing Evansville every week.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Because I'm a sports fan and like talking sports.
Because I find Holberg a respectable guy.

On the other hand, you might be overstating how much I care, and how much "effort" it takes to post in a forum.

You care enough to register and write a long winded essay.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
How is it not condescending to say ISU fans can "learn about defense" by watching UNI? Do you think we never see any team playing defense over the course of a 34-game season in a power conference? We've seen real basketball every night because we aren't playing Evansville every week.
Ok. Sorry I offended you.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
You're not the boss of me.
I was gonna pull for UNI anyway.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I don't know how, in the same thread, you can brag about your team and beg us to cheer for you.
Iow fans would never come here and ask us to cheer for them and ISU fans would never ask it of them.

I'll give you this: while I would sort pf like to see Iowa lose, I could not care less what happens to UNI.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

The fact that you had to come to ISU's message board and type up an essay as to why ISU fans should cheer for UNI kind of comes off as being a little brother. You would never catch Iowa fans coming over here looking for more fans or vice versa.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
First you have my taxes subdisidize your athletic department, then you want me to root for you guys? You're asking far too much out of me, pal.