You Might Not Like the New Lights in Hilton Coliseum If……

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm 32, pretty down the middle in the realm of liberal/conservative and I don't like the lighting.

Biggest reason is it does a disservice on TV. It hides the crowd which for ISU is a huge reason why we get on prime time games. Seeing all the crazy fans was awesome. Now it just doesn't look as impressive. It makes us look like Tech who is able to hide the fact that 12 people show up to their games.

Just how it looks to me.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I'm 32, pretty down the middle in the realm of liberal/conservative and I don't like the lighting.

Biggest reason is it does a disservice on TV. It hides the crowd which for ISU is a huge reason why we get on prime time games. It makes us look like Tech who is able to hide the fact that 12 people show up to their games.
I worked for Texas Tech athletics (who I'm assuming you're referring to as "Tech") went to every home game last year and their lighting is not dark. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's the way the cameras and broadcast are set up. You'll see once we have a game televised on something other than cyclones.tv. White balance, brightness, saturation make a huge difference.

(and to be clear, I no longer work for TTU and am back in Iowa...Lubbock is as sh*tty as everyone says it is)

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Biggest reason is it does a disservice on TV. It hides the crowd which for ISU is a huge reason why we get on prime time games. It makes us look like Tech who is able to hide the fact that 12 people show up to their games.
I get your point, and I somewhat agree with you after watching the games on Cyclones.TV. But i think that it won't even be noticable on ESPN, etc. Every NBA Arena has this type of lighting and you are still able to see if there is nobody in the crowd or if it is packed. It may not be so noticable while the game is in play, but when they do floor-level shots and shots of the crowd it will still do Hilton justic.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
So....to offer my 2 cents on lights from various location perspective points:

First of all love the pregame and intro with the new lights.

1. For 2 MBB games set in parquet (lower 3rd): No problem seeing court, parquet seating looked about as bright and upper deck looked darker but could see it.

2 From TV it seemed to be ok to see if on lower camera or camera on court. However, the end cameras looked like Hilton was dark as heck.

3. From courtside all I can say is brutal and painful. Ok to see the court but glare of court is bad and if you look up at any level, you can be blinded.. You can barely see parquet and the balcony is very dark.. Flag guy doing the loop is barely visible as a moving shadow.

From the way the lights are angled, I am guessing if you are fully on the court the glare and light angles are better so it works for the team. Just not sure how much the players can judge of the crowd size. I do know we will be wearing a cap and/or sunglasses moving forward.

This sort of reminds me of when they were adjusting the speakers and sound. The impression you get is based on your own individual location. While it sounds like they like it the way it is, I hope they will continue to tweak lights and angles if possible. Just my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyke

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I worked for Texas Tech athletics (who I'm assuming you're referring to as "Tech") went to every home game last year and their lighting is not dark. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's the way the cameras and broadcast are set up. You'll see once we have a game televised on something other than cyclones.tv. White balance, brightness, saturation make a huge difference.

(and to be clear, I no longer work for TTU and am back in Iowa...Lubbock is as sh*tty as everyone says it is)

Simple. To me on TV when I watched a Tech game, it was harder to see the crowd. I also know Tech didn't have much for crowds.

Now when I watch an ISU game on TV, I can't see the crowd very well so I can't tell if it's full or not. I personally preferred it how it was last year where you could see a full crowd.

• Agree
Reactions: FunCyd

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Simple. To me on TV when I watched a Tech game, it was harder to see the crowd. I also know Tech didn't have much for crowds.

Now when I watch an ISU game on TV, I can't see the crowd very well so I can't tell if it's full or not. I personally preferred it how it was last year where you could see a full crowd.

Okay, I can see you're side. In my opinion, I think the pros outweigh the con(s).

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Okay, I can see you're side. In my opinion, I think the pros outweigh the con(s).

I haven't been to a game, so maybe the in game experience will outweigh the TV viewing experience.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The bookstore has a nice panorama shot from the KU game last year. You can see people in the top row. I assume if they ever want to do one of these again they can light it up if they want to? Although the shot they were selling was during the game, there was a bit of a glare coming from Perry Ellis' dome, and I suppose they wouldn't actually change the lighting during the game.

Reactions: mj4cy

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I haven't been to a game, so maybe the in game experience will outweigh the TV viewing experience.
I will say that when I see highlights from Cyclones.tv it does look kind of bad. In person though it isn't a negative in seeing anything. It does add the ability to do different things pregame.

We will have to wait until next week to see but I really think part of the problem is cyclones.tv.

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The bookstore has a nice panorama shot from the KU game last year. You can see people in the top row. I assume if they ever want to do one of these again they can light it up if they want to? Although the shot they were selling was during the game, there was a bit of a glare coming from Perry Ellis' dome, and I suppose they wouldn't actually change the lighting during the game.
Yeah, these new lights have the ability to fully "Light Up" Hilton, if they so chose. But for game play they zero in on the court.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Who in the world has actually been watching a basketball game on TV and legitimately thought "man, I wish I could see how the crowd is looking right now." Yeah, we have a great student section/fan base and it is cool to see that glorified on ESPN. But the commentators talk up Hilton Magic enough and talk about how loud it is to get the idea. No ACC fan comes to watch a Big Monday game, and is wondering why they can't see the Hilton faithful. It will look great, watching wise, on HD channels, and if that means that people see a bit less of the crowd in the peripherals of the screen, so be it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Couple observations in response to you guys:

1. I think you guys are overplaying how much you could see the crowd on TV with our old lights. Yes, you could see the parquet fairly decent, but even with the old lights, I could never see much of anything in balcony, particularly with that end of court shot.

2. I love how the new lights look on TV, particularly with how well the court colors pop now, and don't have that yellow McDonalds tint to everything.

3. Before I make too many comments on how things look on TV, I'd like to see an ESPN broadcasted game first and NOT just base stuff off of Cyclones.TV (sorry Cyclones.TV). In the past, there can be quite a bit of difference. Lets also not forget that most our games are broadcast on an ESPN netword anyway, particularly ALL of them pretty much that matter.

• Agree

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Biggest reason is it does a disservice on TV. It hides the crowd which for ISU is a huge reason why we get on prime time games. Seeing all the crazy fans was awesome. Now it just doesn't look as impressive. It makes us look like Tech who is able to hide the fact that 12 people show up to their games.

Just how it looks to me.

Boo for taking things political MJ!!!! FYI... I'm only booing you because I know you and like you :). But, if you think my comments have any bearing on my politics, I'm pretty down the middle on everything as well.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Boo for taking things political MJ!!!! FYI... I'm only booing you because I know you and like you :). But, if you think my comments have any bearing on my politics, I'm pretty down the middle on everything as well.

Nothing to do with politics or anyone else's is. Just trying to explain I'm a down the middle person on most things and welcome change but just not this change (at least yet). Maybe ESPN games will look diff.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Couple observations in response to you guys:

2. I love how the new lights look on TV, particularly with how well the court colors pop now, and don't have that yellow McDonalds tint to everything.

I find that the new lighting makes the painted colors pop, but whitens the natural color of the wood. Personally, I prefer the darker tint because I like the richness of the wood color. Now, our floor seems more like every NCAA tournament venue with the bright, bland, nearly white-looking floor, especially on TV. Interestingly, there is a lot more texture and detail to the NCAA tournament floors when you are right next to them that you never get to see on TV.

P.S. Referring to the decades of previous lighting as "McDonalds yellow" may call for a temporary ban while we conduct a trolling investigation!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nothing to do with politics or anyone else's is. Just trying to explain I'm a down the middle person on most things and welcome change but just not this change (at least yet). Maybe ESPN games will look diff.

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of ESPN presentations from last year and this year, once we get to that point in the schedule.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Just how it looks to me.
Willing to bet you money that once ESPN arrives, you won't be able to tell the difference between old and new on TV. I could barely tell on Cy.TV. Definitely not enough for it to matter negatively in any meaningful way.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

Just how it looks to me.

I'm with you. A huge part of the Hilton Magic is the ability to both see and hear the crowd. Anything that messes with that is stupid, no doubt. I think all the new stuff they can do with these lights is fine, but they need to tweak things so the crowd is more visible during the game. We aren't an NBA team, or one of these arenas where we need to hide a bunch of empty seats. Stupid to try and be that. Some traditions are dumb, and some make a place. Hilton is probably the best thing ISU has. Why mess with something that isn't broken?