Yaman3's recruiting rundown: 12-16-10

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Lattimore and Harris haven't visited yet, so Nelson is the obvious fallback.

Frak - lets hope its simply a matter of them not visiting but really liking the talk about ISU football and the real possibility of playing time early rather then one year to make an impact....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Jerimiah George. He played special teams last year. Dude is as stacked as I've seen of an Iowa State player. I get that size/muscle mass isn't everything, but it's something.

Definately. I think he will be good player but in 2012, what if he get's hurt. To me that may be bigger than the other two because we do not have anyone bsides he and MT that are true MLBs and even he may be a touch small, I don't know. I just would like to grab one big LBer for depth. We saw what quality LBer play can do for a defense. Again, I'm not saying we need to be desperate, but I think it would be a well used scholarship, especially if it's on Daniel. I wasn't trying to say JG wasn't going to be a great player, just that I would like a little more depth there in terms of big LBers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was thinking that Boyd will be a MLB. I'd love to have Daniel (assuming he quals) as a successor to either Klein or Knott--or if he grows to a DE. With that speed, there are just so many things Wally could do with him. :biggrin:

cyclonenate

Oct 5, 2009
Des Moines
Agreed, don't really want Chaz Nelson.

Hopefully we can get Gaines and Henderson, thats who I'm really looking at now. Nealy too, but less of a chance with him

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's all about the Dline. I think the guys that we have coming back will be pretty decent actually. I would like to see us get some young guys lined up for the future though.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Yaman3 nice work. I just have a friendly suggestion though. When listing players like that for the first time on the page, maybe put their position/height/weight? While you hinted at some of them you never listed what they were currently playing. Or possibly insert a link to their profile. I don't follow close enough to know each possible recruit by name yet so I'm sure that I wouldn't be the only one that this helps.

Thanks for the info though, it's really helpful for those of us that don't have a ton of time to investigate the guys that we are recruiting.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yaman3 nice work. I just have a friendly suggestion though. When listing players like that for the first time on the page, maybe put their position/height/weight? While you hinted at some of them you never listed what they were currently playing. Or possibly insert a link to their profile. I don't follow close enough to know each possible recruit by name yet so I'm sure that I wouldn't be the only one that this helps.

Thanks for the info though, it's really helpful for those of us that don't have a ton of time to investigate the guys that we are recruiting.

I will do this in the future.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Jake Knott or AJ Klein go down for a few games, who do you have? Sure, I think Bennett and Mattison will turn into good linebackers but we don't know that. We don't know about anyone there except the starters and maybe Morton. I would just like to see one more added and preferrably a guy that can play LB and put his hand on the ground at times like Armonze Daniel.

You overlook one very important piece to that outside of Bennett and Mattison, Jeremiah George, got PT before the 2 mentioned. and Tau'fuo will be back as well. There is more depth there going into next year then we give credit to, I agree it would not hurt to grab an LB for instant depth and give the other more time to mature. But I would go the Princeton Jackson route rather then Daniel, just my opinion....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You overlook one very important piece to that outside of Bennett and Mattison, Jeremiah George, got PT before the 2 mentioned. and Tau'fuo will be back as well. There is more depth there going into next year then we give credit to, I agree it would not hurt to grab an LB for instant depth and give the other more time to mature. But I would go the Princeton Jackson route rather then Daniel, just my opinion....

Yeah, George also cam in sized to play. Behind him is nothing right now. As of right now, in 2012 who is your backup MLB? I also wouldn't mind seeing us roll out a hybrid LB/DE in a 3 man front type of situation. I'm not wanting Daniel for next year. I want him for 2012 and beyond. Also, we lose Benton next year and we have yet to see who his direct replacement will be at the nickel. I am pretty optimistic that someone will fill that role just fine but it's yet to be seen. I look at next year and yes, we will have a great trio of LBers to play, but there is only one, maybe two guys that we know are ready to contribute. If next year comes along and we are seeing all the redshirts from this year contribute then I will be wrong.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I actually feel pretty good about the LBs. They go from basically zero depth to a real two-deep. Two more than solid starters in Knott and Klein, Taufoou returns after starting for a good portion of the year, Morton and George saw some time with Morton starting a few gamess. The key will be the development of Morgan, Bennett and Mattison. They're going to be the key depth. Of course, if Benton does move to safety, Morgan is the likely NB. I do think that we're going to see a good battle between George and Taufoou this spring and fall for the starting spot.

I don't think that a JUCO LB is a need at all. As far as size goes, I think that they're plenty good there. Nebraska had a really good defense this past year with what people would say are undersized LBs. Knott, Klein and Taufoou have 15 lbs on any of their starters.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I actually feel pretty good about the LBs. They go from basically zero depth to a real two-deep. Two more than solid starters in Knott and Klein, Taufoou returns after starting for a good portion of the year, Morton and George saw some time with Morton starting a few gamess. The key will be the development of Morgan, Bennett and Mattison. They're going to be the key depth. Of course, if Benton does move to safety, Morgan is the likely NB. I do think that we're going to see a good battle between George and Taufoou this spring and fall for the starting spot.

I don't think that a JUCO LB is a need at all. As far as size goes, I think that they're plenty good there. Nebraska had a really good defense this past year with what people would say are undersized LBs. Knott, Klein and Taufoou have 15 lbs on any of their starters.

I agree on the JUCO LB front. I don't want one. I think it helps us very very little. I would like to see anothe big run stopping LBer for the reason that we are always going to struggle to find great DTs. I guess I haven't done a lot of research but when I think about the teams who put interior Dlineman in the NFl they are the power schools. Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, those guys. I just think we need a little backup there. On the outsides, I don't care if our Lbers weigh 220. I think it's much more important they have speed and they play smart. I also agree that the development of Morgan, Bennet and Mattison is key. I had really high hopes for all three of them, especially Bennett and Mattison.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yaman3, why is it so hard for ISU to recruit Big 12 calibur D Line players

It's not just ISU, is every team that is not a traditional powerhouse. Even Michigan is having a hell of a time finding them. There is such a limited amount of elite interior defensive lineman. Like I said, when you think of who puts out the best DLineman year in and year out it is almost always the traditional powerhouses. What we will have to do is have a constant stream of kids developing and hope that we can develop enough guys to make a pretty solid interior. DE is a little different because there are more bodies and there's a lot of different ways a DE can be successful. I'm not all that worried there.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
As I understand it, Princeton Jackson excels as a blitzer. I don't think anyone would complain about giving Wally another weapon to use.

As far as Daniel...I think he'd play ST as a frosh, but we could use him in a big way, 2012 and beyond.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Here is my two cents...

I think we only go get JJ Gaines (J.J. Gaines - Yahoo! Sports) if we end up losing Kenneth Lynn( Kenneth Lynn - Yahoo! Sports ) to Kansas.

People talk about Walton T(Walton Taumoepeau - Yahoo! Sports) maybe falling off of our radar because we haven't heard anything about from him, but everything I have read has said he's a quiet guy and was waiting until his season was over to finish his recruiting and make a decision (which it now is). I still think we are very much a player.

I think Nealy(DeVondrick Nealy - Yahoo! Sports) is in the same position SJ was last year. A lot of big schools want him, but for other positions besides the one he wants to play. I think this is why ISU is still in on him because we're willing to give him a shot at RB. I think our chances are better than most believe.

With Lemke(Devin Lemke - Yahoo! Sports) coming in as a TE I have to think that Daniel (http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/football/recruiting/player-Armonze-Daniel-105459) is being recruited as a WDE, but if he's not then I really think Ja'Quarius Daniels (Ja'Quarius Daniels - Yahoo! Sports) ends up there. Either way unless JQD is the second coming at QB (or clearly much better than Sam Richardson (Sam Richardson - Yahoo! Sports)), I think he ends up wherever Armonze doesn't on defense (assuming we get him of course).

By next Monday, we will have added Keithen English(Keithen English - Yahoo! Sports). He's at too important of a position for us and has too high of an interest in us for Rhoads and company to let him get away.

We will get either Bojay (Bojay Filimoeatu - Yahoo! Sports) or Cam (Cameron Henderson - Yahoo! Sports). I hoping for Cam as I think he has the skill set that we are truly looking for in our DE; tall, lean, quick off the edge, similar to George Selvie from USF a couple of years ago.

If we end up getting Nealy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Standard (Robert Standard - Yahoo! Sports) come in as a slot WR. If we don't get Nealy than we probably pick up another WR, possibly Babineaux (Kori Babineaux - Yahoo! Sports), Bundrage (Quenton Bundrage - Yahoo! Sports) or even JJ Gaines.

End the end I think we get

1.) Nealy
2.) Daniel
3.) Henderson
4.) English
5.) Walton T

and if we lose Lynn possibly JJ Gaines.

Last edited:

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Here is my two cents...

I think we only go get JJ Gaines (J.J. Gaines - Yahoo! Sports) if we end up losing Kenneth Lynn( Kenneth Lynn - Yahoo! Sports ) to Kansas.

People talk about Walton T(Walton Taumoepeau - Yahoo! Sports) maybe falling off of our radar because we haven't heard anything about from him, but everything I have read has said he's a quiet guy and was waiting until his season was over to finish his recruiting and make a decision (which it now is). I still think we are very much a player.

I think Nealy(DeVondrick Nealy - Yahoo! Sports) is in the same position SJ was last year. A lot of big schools want him, but for other positions besides the one he wants to play. I think this is why ISU is still in on him because we're willing to give him a shot at RB. I think our chances are better than most believe.

With Lemke(Devin Lemke - Yahoo! Sports) coming in as a TE I have to think that Daniel (http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/football/recruiting/player-Armonze-Daniel-105459) is being recruited as a WDE, but if he's not then I really think Ja'Quarius Daniels (Ja'Quarius Daniels - Yahoo! Sports) ends up there. Either way unless JQD is the second coming at QB (or clearly much better than Sam Richardson (Sam Richardson - Yahoo! Sports)), I think he ends up wherever Armonze doesn't on defense (assuming we get him of course).

By next Monday, we will have added Keithen English(Keithen English - Yahoo! Sports). He's at too important of a position for us and has too high of an interest in us for Rhoads and company to let him get away.

We will get either Bojay (Bojay Filimoeatu - Yahoo! Sports) or Cam (Cameron Henderson - Yahoo! Sports). I hoping for Cam as I think he has the skill set that we are truly looking for in our DE; tall, lean, quick off the edge, similar to George Selvie from USF a couple of years ago.

If we end up getting Nealy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Standard (Robert Standard - Yahoo! Sports) come in as a slot WR. If we don't get Nealy than we probably pick up another WR, possibly Babineaux (Kori Babineaux - Yahoo! Sports), Bundrage (Quenton Bundrage - Yahoo! Sports) or even JJ Gaines.

End the end I think we get

1.) Nealy
2.) Daniel
3.) Henderson
4.) English
5.) Walton T

This is best case scenario.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
1.) Nealy
2.) Daniel
3.) Henderson
4.) English
5.) Walton T

I agree very much with this. Minus I would personally rather have P. Jackson rather than Daniel... But I definitely think that 3-5 need to be D-line....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yeah, George also cam in sized to play. Behind him is nothing right now. As of right now, in 2012 who is your backup MLB? I also wouldn't mind seeing us roll out a hybrid LB/DE in a 3 man front type of situation. I'm not wanting Daniel for next year. I want him for 2012 and beyond. Also, we lose Benton next year and we have yet to see who his direct replacement will be at the nickel. I am pretty optimistic that someone will fill that role just fine but it's yet to be seen. I look at next year and yes, we will have a great trio of LBers to play, but there is only one, maybe two guys that we know are ready to contribute. If next year comes along and we are seeing all the redshirts from this year contribute then I will be wrong.

I know that going into early Summer practice CJ Morgan was mentioned as one of the few Freshmen LB's coming in that looked game ready. Since that article from Wally he was a no show. Put 15-20 on him over the off-season and there is another, I am not the biggest fan of Morton, but for being undersized he played pretty decent last year, another year with Yancy and he has the size too. To me any Freshmen LB will be red-shirt, and to me that is why we are not looking to instant impact JUCO, I would like to see it, but honestly don't think they will go that direction.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron