Worst weekend ever as a Cyclone fan?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That 1997 game.... Cameron Dollar plowed over Jacy Holloway and got away with a crucial bucket. The "5 second call" on Clay. What a screw job by the officials.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Mich State game was another reffing bullcrap that tilted the game in their favor in their own backyard no less.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and 83cy

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You must be young.
Agree, Chris melting down just shows how young he is. If you have been around as long as some of us this weekend was a minor frustration:).

I mean in hoops teams never even started down the path of success in this tourney. It was over quickly.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The real crime of the 99-00 season was the idiot committee had ISU as a 2 seed. Clearly they blew it. We were by far a 1 seed. We won the Big 12 convincingly. If it was KU they would have been a 1.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Mizzou was at home. KU was on the road.

Some quick research tells me that we lost at KU in 2005 in OT to lose a spot in the Big 12 title game, then the 23rd-ranked Cyclones MBB team got destroyed in Hilton by Iona that night.

So maybe that's what I was thinking of.
Definitely have to disagree, was on my honeymoon that weekend.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
How about a chance to win Big 12 North in football. Only instead run the ball to the middle of the field to set up kick. ISU runs it to the hash and ISU then misses the chip shot kick.

Those of us who have been on this Cyclone train a long time have seen it derail time and again

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet and 67CY

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
BUT at least it is now longer the go to clip/graphic for NCAA upsets....still stings...but at least not brought up in any random tourney game like for the first 15-20 after
Good news is, we went from the 5th biggest spread upset of all time to the 6th thanks to Purdue.

Reactions: CapnCy

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Like many have said the MSU loss is the one I just can’t shake. Sure it hurts to watch both the men’s and women’s teams seasons end in the first round, but neither was realistically a national title contender. To know your team is that good, to watch them prove it all season and against the eventual champion in a de facto home game, and then have it all fall apart at the very end.

It hurts so much that I can’t help but keep coming back and watching it. I’ve probably rewatched the game 20 times since it happened. I don’t know if I watch it wishing that just once the ending would change or if I’m addicted to the sadness and pain of it all.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It hurts a ton because we had such hopes for these teams and because the teams are filled with such good people.

The current pain is something we feel as the programs are on the ascent. It is better than the numbness of not even being in the tournament and not even having high aspirations.

The pain is lessened a bit by knowing that we aren't going to come crashing down next year. There is plenty of good reason to be hopeful for next year in MBB, WBB, and Wrestling.

In the words of our fearless leader @ChrisMWilliams , "We aren't Cyclone fans because it's easy. We are Cyclone fans because it's Awesome!"

Go Cyclones!

Help Support Us

Become a patron