Worst weekend ever as a Cyclone fan?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah how often are both men and women in the tourney and wrestlers are making title matches at the same time?
THAT is what sucks so bad. Being in the NCAA tournament and having wrestlers that are given greats for a few years in a row. Totally sucks!

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I didn't enjoy March 25th, 2000 very much. Attended the women's game where we lost by one then sat in a huge room of Cyclone fans and watched us get ****** over by the refs, have our coach go crazy (10X less than I would have gone if I were the coach) and having them play one of our players crying on the bench for 48 straight hours.)

THAT was a TON worse than this weekend. If it isn't worse for you, you are 26 years or younger. OR, you care more about wrestling than I do. We had a pretty good year that year in wrestling if I recall.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I didn't enjoy March 25th, 2000 very much. Attended the women's game where we lost by one then sat in a huge room of Cyclone fans and watched us get ****** over by the refs, have our coach go crazy (10X less than I would have gone if I were the coach) and having them play one of our players crying on the bench for 48 straight hours.)

THAT was a TON worse than this weekend. If it isn't worse for you, you are 26 years or younger. OR, you care more about wrestling than I do. We had a pretty good year that year in wrestling if I recall.

If wrestling had been on the same weekend as those games, it would have rocketed up the list.

3 overtime losses in the finals, including one against Iowa. Win 2 of those (or just the Iowa match) and it's an NCAA title. Instead, runner-up to the Hawks.

Also, the MBB game was first that day. WBB was the late game, around 9:30 or so.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I agree with everyone saying MSU loss in 2000 was the single most frustrating Men's BB loss. And I was in my 20s then so not like I'm new to this. Maybe it's just because I pay more attention to WBB now and yes, I've always followed ISU wrestling although more lately.

• Angry
  • Friendly
Reactions: Jdk and NENick

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I agree with everyone saying MSU loss in 2000 was the single most frustrating Men's BB loss. And I was in my 20s then so not like I'm new to this. Maybe it's just because I pay more attention to WBB now and yes, I've always followed ISU wrestling although more lately.
Then 2000 wouldn't have been that bad becuase we had a pretty good year that year (Although, I didn't realize we came in second to Iowa that year. But, it WAS a bad day for the women who I have been following since the mid 90s as well.

My daughter still gets upset about that day and she was just under 3 months old at that game. (Had to kind of drive the hatred into her.) She loved the 2 big 12 tourney's that year though.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The refs in the Michigan state game have still yet explained the "double foul".

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The 2000 Michigan state game was the worst. We had it until refs started their magic.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The 2000 Michigan state game was the worst. We had it until refs started their magic.

Yep, worse than this weekend. And for me personally, the UAB loss was devastating. Was going to Vegas with four friends for some Madness fun. Had reservations in advance of selection Sunday. Sucked to see that my flight to Vegas on Thursday would overlap the ISU game. Was sitting in an airport bar only to watch us lose. Ruined the rest of the weekend.

Reactions: exCYtable

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The golfers grill was packed with Cyclone grad's/fans. The house was rocking.

I tried to explain to our crying 7 year old son that the referees weren't bad people, just that they couldn't make a good decision.

M$U needs to lose every basketball game forever. That might make up for it.

Reactions: cytor

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I fully expected the men to have a game like they did at some point in time. I was just hoping they would get to the second round. The ladies, well, I saw way too many games this year where they gave up 10-20 point runs. For a while they were the worst team in the country in the 3rd quarter. Carr was disappointing, but even the best guys have a bad match.

One bright side; with Purdue getting beat in the first round it adds another major upset in the tourney, so no one will ever talk about that number 2 seed team losing in the first round again.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Losing to Hampton was the worst. UAB close second.
I would flip that personally but they both sucked. We were rolling going into that UAB game. The Hampton year we had just laid an egg in conference tournament and team seemed disinterested for some reason and we were just coming off an Elite 8.

Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would flip that personally but they both sucked. We were rolling going into that UAB game. The Hampton year we had just laid an egg in conference tournament and team seemed disinterested for some reason and we were just coming off an Elite 8.

I don't know if I'd go with 'rolling'. Won the Big 12 tourney but needed some fortunate bounces to even get to the title game and the season was kind of weird.

UAB must have just studied a couple of games where the opponent just mucked things up to get in ISU's head and went that route.

The '01 team still finished the regular season with wins but were never the same after getting worked in Austin.

Reactions: VeloClone

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Lol, some people on here must be really young. I still haven't gotten over 2000 "blarge" fiasco in Auburn Hills.

That was the on shot at glory and it was stolen from us.
Also, it wasn't just the game that was BS. Getting a 2 seed and having to play MSU in essentially a home game for them after winning the big 12 outright and the tournament was ridiculous.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Loss to Izzo and the refs ……. Us the malice in the palace

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006

This is the correct answer. I did the same thing. I wonder if we were in the same room. That was a horrible weekend.

I'm already over this weekend

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The worst weekend was watching the tournament the weekend after the cyclones finished the season with 2 wins a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron