Worst weekend ever as a Cyclone fan?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Eh. Losing always sucks but i've felt like yesterdays loss didn't hurt the way many others have. That loss wasn't all that surprising given our propensity for having some terrible offensive games. Can't say the women's game was much of a surprise either.

Not like this was the UAB loss. That soured me on the entire weekend.
Had the same thought today...I can "relive" those feelings of the UAB loss easily. My guess is this loss will be a "yeah we lost" memory without much beyond that.

I felt it was a weird year....we had so many top 10 wins and on paper looks like a good year/made the tourney....but felt we were sliding February on and never really regained a positive trajectory.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Oh hell, naw. Kansas lost by ONE to the Razorbacks. That's a good thang.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not even close. We've had eras in basketball that hurt when they ended. No offense to guys like Gabe, but I don't think this is at all like the end of the Tinsley and Fizer teams or the end of the Niang era teams. Those hurt because you knew those incredible runs were over. Yes, Joens and Carr finishing their careers on a downer sucks and I feel bad for them, but it just doesn't move the needle the same as MBB.

Reactions: fsanford

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
No there have been several that were worse, this was not even top 5
Playing MSU on the road to advance to the final 4 was by far the worst. It's not even close. Because we all know what a rare opportunity that was:-(

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
For reference…

23 years later I can still remember vivid details of ISUs loss to MSU in the elite 8. I know where I was, all the players names, details from the game, etc…

23 years from now I won’t remember squat about this weekend.
Yep, the MSU loss is the toughest one for me as a Cyclone Fan. So close and if we win that one I think we are winning the Title. Ugh....still.

Reactions: FerShizzle

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Sitting at Trice and watching Hayden run the score up, the MSU BB tragedy, watching Drake win in Trice, watching Pacific win in Trice….I could go on. TJ’s team got funky a month ago & struggled to score for two years. Don’t like it but took me 5 minutes to get over it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cupped

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Not even close to being the worst. Like others have said the OT loss to KU in 2005 and the UAB loss will forever be the two games I can never forget for negative reasons: both times I sat quiet for a solid hour afterwards. If anyone has been paying attention the past couple of years the loss to Pitt was disappointing but far from surprising.

Here’s to next season where we can get some actual shooters into the lineup.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Been a rough couple days but this game is still the biggest nut kick in the program history

BUT at least it is now longer the go to clip/graphic for NCAA upsets....still stings...but at least not brought up in any random tourney game like for the first 15-20 after

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Worst for basketball was 99-00 in the same day within 2 hours of each other mbb loses in elite 8 and wbb lose in sweet 16 on a layup at the buzzer.
Yeah that one sucked. Michigan State Elite 8 game is still the hardest one for me to get over. UCLA 1997 is probably 2nd. And I get over games pretty easily.