Wish me luck

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Bipolar brings up a good point. There are alcoholics who do find a way to beat the bottle but still can find a way to have a drink now and then. Most are not successful with this. I feel really bad for people with addiction to food because obviously you can't quit cold turkey and vow to never touch another bite like alcoholics do. There are some priests and ministers who have a hard time with alcoholism because their jobs generally require them to partake regularly - even if it is small amounts.

That's one reason why many protestant denominations have switched to grape juice instead of wine for communion.

I used Chantix in 2005. I have not had a cigarette since then (after smoking for 25 years). There are times when I still desperately miss having a smoke. I don't dare smoke one, because I know that if I have one, I won't stop there. Some people can smoke one or two at a bar, then not smoke again for months. That's not me.

Basically, secondname, you need to know what kind of limits you have...and until you are firmly in control, "just one drink" can (and will) hurt you. FWIW, I will never have that kind of control over my addiction.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's one reason why many protestant denominations have switched to grape juice instead of wine for communion.

I used Chantix in 2005. I have not had a cigarette since then (after smoking for 25 years). There are times when I still desperately miss having a smoke. I don't dare smoke one, because I know that if I have one, I won't stop there. Some people can smoke one or two at a bar, then not smoke again for months. That's not me.

Basically, secondname, you need to know what kind of limits you have...and until you are firmly in control, "just one drink" can (and will) hurt you. FWIW, I will never have that kind of control over my addiction.

Agreed. Don't try "just one" especially early on. It is a recipe for disaster. I had a friend who always thought someday he could get to that point, but after being sober for 10+ years he thought he could but realized that being totally sober was much more important to him than being able to just have one once in a while.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Just remember this: It's not about quitting forever. It's about quitting for today.

Think about that every day. If you take it day by day, it's much easier than looking out 5, 10, or 20 years and thinking about it.

Another one: You don't have to stop doing it. Just quit buying it.

I know that last one has some loopholes but if you think about the core point, I think you'll be fine. I haven't ever had to quit drinking but there are other things that weren't good for me (all legal) that I have quit using those two concepts. They weren't as serious or as long term as what you are doing but the day-by-day thing really changed my mentality and the "game," for lack of a better term, kind of changed.

secondname

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks again. I am not the type to sneak a beer at lunch or drink one before doing chores. However, as soon as I drink that first beer I know I won't be done until I am almost blacked out. I flirt with women, I spend money on things I don't recall, and I spend almost every morning with a hangover. I've forgone prescriptions that you can't take with alcohol because I'd rather drink than get healthy.

Already today I've been asked to participate in two events focused on alcohol later this month. I'm going to have to learn the balance of not even attending these events and just saying no to the alcohol.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Thanks again. I am not the type to sneak a beer at lunch or drink one before doing chores. However, as soon as I drink that first beer I know I won't be done until I am almost blacked out. I flirt with women, I spend money on things I don't recall, and I spend almost every morning with a hangover. I've forgone prescriptions that you can't take with alcohol because I'd rather drink than get healthy.

Already today I've been asked to participate in two events focused on alcohol later this month. I'm going to have to learn the balance of not even attending these events and just saying no to the alcohol.

If alcohol is the only entertainment (ie: the entire purpose of the event is for everyone to get blottoed), that may be wise. However, if it's grilling with friends, or an afternoon at Big Creek, etc, and alcohol might be involved, just BYOB...pop, water, tea... :)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My dad was sober for 20 years with AA. Once he joined AA I never saw him enter a bar or hang out with people drinking. It wasn't worth it to him to put himself in those positions. His friends went from being other drunks to friends in AA. His brother never stopped and died of cirrhosis of the liver. He was basically drunk for 15 years straight.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Good luck to you. I would suggest attending AA meetings and getting an accountability partner; having someone help you goes a long way.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Thanks again. I am not the type to sneak a beer at lunch or drink one before doing chores. However, as soon as I drink that first beer I know I won't be done until I am almost blacked out.
Lucky for you, you only have to say 'no' to one drink each day: the first one. It's a lot harder to say 'no' to the second, third, fourth, etc.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Congratulations on recognizing your problem and getting a cheap and effective way of addressing it. My dad died at 51 of cirrhosis of the liver. His dad died at a similar age after "changing jobs frequently" (so I suspect the same thing). I slowed the drinking lifestyle in my 30's and altogether in my 40's. Now 70, I am grateful to my wife for sticking with me and supporting me through it all.

Stay with it. My experience with AA members is that they are the among the most trust worthy and loyal friends you can have because they know the feeling and have won.

Reactions: Neptune78

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
As a substance abuse counselor, I recommend finding someone you can talk to whenever you have issues when you wanna drink. It's very easy to say you are done, but once you get into a situation where you really want that drink, everything changes. Finding someone who can keep you accountable or having a sponsor could really help out. Biggest thing is finding someone you can talk to honestly when you have problems... That's what most people struggle with when they are trying to quit drugs or alcohol, the honesty.

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
Great news!! This will probably be the most difficult, and in the end, rewarding experience of your life! If needed, look for support early and often; friends, family, the church if you're so inclined.

Good luck and God bless!!!!:smile:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I have no doubt you will succeed. I believe in magic, and your decision is magical. Im not going to say good luck, Im going to say welcome to your new life. Enjoy it, thrive on it, let this new opportunity consume you.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I'm coming up on 2 months sober and can safely say, at some point, you're drinking buddies will stop calling. Its at that point that things started getting easier for me. No more temptations. Keep your head up and go one day at a time.

secondname

Feb 7, 2014
Today is one month without drinking.

My family went to a friend's cabin for the 4th of July and all but one other adult drank. I'll admit there were times when I thought "Maybe I was too quick to give it up - a few drinks on vacation won't hurt". I spoke with another sober man (30 years my senior) and he said those thoughts pass and to stay strong. Thankfully no one went out to the bars so there were not any awkward conversations about why I didn't want to go. It hasn't been as hard as I was expecting but there are also more things going on to keep me occupied in the summer.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Today is one month without drinking.

My family went to a friend's cabin for the 4th of July and all but one other adult drank. I'll admit there were times when I thought "Maybe I was too quick to give it up - a few drinks on vacation won't hurt". I spoke with another sober man (30 years my senior) and he said those thoughts pass and to stay strong. Thankfully no one went out to the bars so there were not any awkward conversations about why I didn't want to go. It hasn't been as hard as I was expecting but there are also more things going on to keep me occupied in the summer.

Congratulations! As time moves on it will get easier, and your coping mechanisms will get stronger. Keep up the fight!