Williams Blog: The Big 12 needs to fight

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I dont think Texas leaves. Sure they would recieve more money from the Big 11 but honstely, and maybe some Austin clones can back me up here, they dont have anything to do with it. My friend lives in Austin and he told me a story a while back that this rich Alumni wanted to donate to the football team. The athletic department told him the had no planned upgrades that they needed....baseball (no), basketball (no), swimming (yes). So while all these other schools are dying for upgrades and more money Texas really doesnt need any.

I think in the next BIG XII spring meetings Texas will agree to share a small amount of TV revenues, just enough to keep everyone happy and them on top of the BIG XII.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nebraska would bolt to the little 11 in a heart beat if the little 11 would have them. but nebbie has the same problem isu does....The Big 10 doesnt need either one of them cause they bring too few additional tv sets.

I think the big ten would be smart to take Texas and Mizzou from the big 12 and then see if they can get Rutgers and Syracuse from the east coast!!

You go from 11 to 14 and you add a lot of tv sets and additional revenue. If its just about money thats the way that the big 10 should go!!!!

If the big 12 needs two or three teams the way to go is thus: go after Arkansas and TCU for the south division and BYU or Utah for the north division if Colorado goes Pac ten!!!!

TIMES THEY BE ACHANGIN'...............

Math 101? :wink:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Or if JP had a connection with a little 11 school's AD who could lobby on our behalf...wait a minute...

Yeah I thought of that but I don't think that helps that much. That is only one person. If a team they really want holds us with them I think we have a better chance.

BEACHBUM

Oct 23, 2006
Des Moines
If Texas bolted the B12 the first thing I would do is punish Texas as a whole by kicking out Baylor. ISU only got into the B12 due to tradition. Face it. Baylor only got in due to Texas politics. Face it. Baylor is a private school and believe it or not, many very very powerful people in that state got them in. Wealthy elite politicians went to bat to for the school. The inclusion was a forced decision. It was in the end one of the many hidden "requirements" to get Texas. Take a look at the scenario if you don't believe this. We admitted Baylor over Arkansas when the SWC broke up. How? Why? We had no choice. To get in bed with the beauty queen we had to first get a date for the grenade. Which brings me back to my point. If we kick out Baylor and pick up another, it would send absolute turmoil into the state of Texas. Who would want Baylor? We at least are not a private school and have good attendance for athletics and a great fan base. Actually it could become a bargaining chip for why Texas should not leave. Rich Texas fat cats combating each other is no skin off Iowa State. I personally would replace them with Colorado State. Great school with a good football program.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I'll be shocked if that happens. I just don't think that Iowa State offers enough to the Big Ten as far as TV goes for the Clones to get serious consideration.
Maybe the Big Ten would bring Iowa State in as a tax write-off or a charitable donation. Either way, I'd take it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If Texas bolted the B12 the first thing I would do is punish Texas as a whole by kicking out Baylor. ISU only got into the B12 due to tradition. Face it. Baylor only got in due to Texas politics. Face it. Baylor is a private school and believe it or not, many very very powerful people in that state got them in. Wealthy elite politicians went to bat to for the school. The inclusion was a forced decision. It was in the end one of the many hidden "requirements" to get Texas. Take a look at the scenario if you don't believe this. We admitted Baylor over Arkansas when the SWC broke up. How? Why? We had no choice. To get in bed with the beauty queen we had to first get a date for the grenade. Which brings me back to my point. If we kick out Baylor and pick up another, it would send absolute turmoil into the state of Texas. Who would want Baylor? We at least are not a private school and have good attendance for athletics and a great fan base. Actually it could become a bargaining chip for why Texas should not leave. Rich Texas fat cats combating each other is no skin off Iowa State. I personally would replace them with Colorado State. Great school with a good football program.

Good post, but Arkansas was already in the SEC. Their departure set off the SWC chain reaction.

JRCampy

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This a paragraph from the WSJ article that was posted earlier in this thread. How does this not count as extra benefits to players??

"While they don't try to steer the ship, the Longhorns' big boosters are all keenly aware of the influence they wield. They are often invited to speak to players once a year and some go even further to cement their connections to the team. Though Mr. McCombs says he stopped participating in recruiting years ago, he invites players and their families to his ranch in the hills outside of Austin each August where he grills steaks and takes them fishing. Players call him frequently for advice, he says."

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This a paragraph from the WSJ article that was posted earlier in this thread. How does this not count as extra benefits to players??

"While they don't try to steer the ship, the Longhorns' big boosters are all keenly aware of the influence they wield. They are often invited to speak to players once a year and some go even further to cement their connections to the team. Though Mr. McCombs says he stopped participating in recruiting years ago, he invites players and their families to his ranch in the hills outside of Austin each August where he grills steaks and takes them fishing. Players call him frequently for advice, he says."

That sounds pretty cut-and-dried. I'm sure the advice never has anything to do with money or other benefits, though, so it's all good :jimlad:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Nice read. The 'girlfriend' analogy confused me though. I guess I took it, in the context of the article, as if a guy hits on your girl, the right thing to do is go look for a skank to bed, as opposed to 'fighting' for the one you want.

It might make you feel better for one drunken night, but when you wake up in the morning and see that horse without makeup...whoa, "what the **** did I do?"

I agree the Big 12 should fight, but they are a forced counter-puncher here, as opposed to a striker, because of the size of the conference already (amongst other reasons), and they aren't in a good position to counter.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Nice read. The 'girlfriend' analogy confused me though. I guess I took it, in the context of the article, as if a guy hits on your girl, the right thing to do is go look for a skank to bed, as opposed to 'fighting' for the one you want.

It might make you feel better for one drunken night, but when you wake up in the morning and see that horse without makeup...whoa, "what the **** did I do?"

I agree the Big 12 should fight, but they are a forced counter-puncher here, as opposed to a striker, because of the size of the conference already (amongst other reasons), and they aren't in a good position to counter.

Ha, if a guy hits on my girl I am going to sit back and take in the entertainment. If something happens, then I will go for the skank.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I agree how is that legal? I didnt think a booster could have any contact with a player before they hit campus and giving out meals, big no no.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
At some point it is not logical for these teams to make changes. Texas to the Big 10 sure but going half way across the country for games, really? It not like you would only do it once either, you would be bouncing all over the country for every sport all season long. So much for student athletes. Texas to Penn or Michingan, not a short trip. Oky to Florida, really. Colorado to Calf, fun trip.