Williams Blog: The Big 12 needs to fight

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Good read. I do disagree with those B12 divisions being equal. Of course this is estimation but after OK the North Division could have the four next best teams in 5 years with Nebby, OK St. Mizzou and ISU. If Turner Gill succeeds there could be one more. I refuse to believe that TCU has the 5 year potential we do and I really think we could be better than Tech but IMO it will take TT 4-5 years to be where they want to be. This is all debatable and of course speculation but i just see the North having the potential to turn into what the South is now.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You say OU and Nebraska aren't going anywhere. Huh? If the two Texas schools leave, why would the Sooners and Huskers stick around to prop up the Big 12 financially?
Only way those two would stay is if they got to keep most or all of the revenue they earn. No other way, sorry...

TaDelt

Apr 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
You say OU and Nebraska aren't going anywhere. Huh? If the two Texas schools leave, why would the Sooners and Huskers stick around to prop up the Big 12 financially?
Only way those two would stay is if they got to keep most or all of the revenue they earn. No other way, sorry...

Don't they keep most their revenue anyways? Correct me if I am wrong, but we don't do much for revenue sharing, do we?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't they keep most their revenue anyways? Correct me if I am wrong, but we don't do much for revenue sharing, do we?

All Big 12 bowl money and sponsorship money in shared equally; TV money is pro-rated based on # of appearances. ISU gets lots of $$$ from the successes of Texas, OU, etc.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

How many times to I have to write the word hypothetical for you to realize what I wrote was hypothetical?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
How many times to I have to write the word hypothetical for you to realize what I wrote was hypothetical?

I assumed you were inviting responses to your blog - sorry.
I just see a lot of posts that seem to take it for granted that OU and Neb. are just going to "carry on" if the two Texas schools leave. I doubt it.

skelly

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2006
The Dark Hemisphere of Eternia
I've seen Iowa State's name mentioned as a potential Big Ten get. Why aren't we hearing much about it locally? Is this another one of JP's secret, diabolical plots?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I just see a lot of posts that seem to take it for granted that OU and Neb. are just going to "carry on" if the two Texas schools leave. I doubt it.

You're welcome to write whatever you want. It is a message board. Just pointing out one more time that the blog was hypothetical and not what I thought was fact. Everything on this topic is really. Nobody, other than a handful of conference commissioners, athletic directors and school presidents have any clue as to what is going to happen.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

So where are they going then, pro?

Reactions: bos

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I'll be shocked if that happens. I just don't think that Iowa State offers enough to the Big Ten as far as TV goes for the Clones to get serious consideration.
I've heard a few different national radio guys say ISU isn't even a thought. The reason - they don't gain enough additional TV sets. The BigTen network is already in Iowa.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You're welcome to write whatever you want. It is a message board. Just pointing out one more time that the blog was hypothetical and not what I thought was fact. Everything on this topic is really. Nobody, other than a handful of conference commissioners, athletic directors and school presidents have any clue as to what is going to happen.

Right - then here's my hypothetical: the two Texas schools aren't going anywhere. There's too much in-state pride and success with the course they're on thus far.
Plus, the Longhorn warm-weather minor sports (baseball, golf, track, tennis) would take a huge hit in competition levels if they switched conferences. That would affect their national success.
The Big 12 is weakened, though, when people like Tom Osborne and others talk about being eager to talk with the Big Ten. It'd be nice if all the Big 12 heavyweights held pressers and announced they love where they're at, and aren't leaving...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'll be shocked if that happens. I just don't think that Iowa State offers enough to the Big Ten as far as TV goes for the Clones to get serious consideration.

I said this before. The only way we get to the Big Ten is if JP has a connection with a Big school AD and somehow some way gets them to work us into the deal so that if the Big Ten wants that team, they take us as well. That is a HUGE stretch and will not happen but I see that as the only way.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I said this before. The only way we get to the Big Ten is if JP has a connection with a Big school AD and somehow some way gets them to work us into the deal so that if the Big Ten wants that team, they take us as well. That is a HUGE stretch and will not happen but I see that as the only way.

Or if JP had a connection with a little 11 school's AD who could lobby on our behalf...wait a minute...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Nebraska would bolt to the little 11 in a heart beat if the little 11 would have them. but nebbie has the same problem isu does....The Big 10 doesnt need either one of them cause they bring too few additional tv sets.

I think the big ten would be smart to take Texas and Mizzou from the big 12 and then see if they can get Rutgers and Syracuse from the east coast!!

You go from 11 to 14 and you add a lot of tv sets and additional revenue. If its just about money thats the way that the big 10 should go!!!!

If the big 12 needs two or three teams the way to go is thus: go after Arkansas and TCU for the south division and BYU or Utah for the north division if Colorado goes Pac ten!!!!

TIMES THEY BE ACHANGIN'...............