Williams Blog: A Microcosm

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Did you know:

That in ISU's last (4) wins, the opposing team had a chance to win in the last seconds. Yes, we are bad and yes it could be worse.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Some of you people just blow my mind. Do you not watch the games or are you just not cognitively able to process what an angry person looks like. HE IS YELLING AT REFS ALL THE TIME! Man I'd hoped you people would've finally shut up after he got the T everyone's been begging for and it practically lost the game for us. Of all the things you have to complain about, please don't choose this if you don't want to prove you don't know what you're talking about.

End vent.

Maybe your right, maybe not. I just know that as a fan that I wish he would show more emotion. And yes, I do watch him during the game. I don't think that if he got more T's we would be better, but listen to the crowd after the T. They got louder. If we aren't going to win the games to bring fans in, at least make them entertaining to bring fans in. :jimlad:

Reactions: Wesley

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Some of you people just blow my mind. Do you not watch the games or are you just not cognitively able to process what an angry person looks like. HE IS YELLING AT REFS ALL THE TIME! Man I'd hoped you people would've finally shut up after he got the T everyone's been begging for and it practically lost the game for us.

I'm not one of those - I judge a coach by the looks of his/her team. No emotion at the start. Players like Garrett, and even Mac, admitted that practices this week have been less than intense. This is comical.
I give kudos to Mac - he's being honest about stuff. But he just can't connect with players, he can't push them. Has nothing to do with getting T'd up...

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Maybe your right, maybe not. I just know that as a fan that I wish he would show more emotion. And yes, I do watch him during the game. I don't think that if he got more T's we would be better, but listen to the crowd after the T. They got louder. If we aren't going to win the games to bring fans in, at least make them entertaining to bring fans in. :jimlad:

Yeah the crowd got louder but it didn't help the kids play because OSU went on a 7-0 run!!! But I guess as long as the crowd got louder thats what matters.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Wasn't hedging? If he hedged any harder, Pilgrim/Moses would have just slipped it and had an easy dunk. If our help D recovered, Anderson and Paige would have had wide open threes on the opposite pass.

Dude, you're reaching.

You do not let Obi get off that 3 there at all costs.

Why would it have been an easy dunk for someone else? Why aren't the other players doing there job to prevent that easy dunk with help defense?

You make it sound like there was NO WAY ON EARTH we could defend the play without something absolutely terrible happening. Trust me, middle of the pack OSU isn't unstoppable. The worst possible outcome of that play was giving Obi a wide open look from 3. We defended it wrong and honestly, it didn't look like we tried very hard to defend it right.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I haven't stopped pulling for the players and coaches, as I want for nothing more than the current coaching staff and players to succeed, I've just lost almost all faith that they can succeed, though.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm not one of those - I judge a coach by the looks of his/her team. No emotion at the start. Players like Garrett, and even Mac, admitted that practices this week have been less than intense. This is comical.
I give kudos to Mac - he's being honest about stuff. But he just can't connect with players, he can't push them. Has nothing to do with getting T'd up...

I'm starting to think that this isn't a coaching problem but a recruiting problem, and its hard to know how tough/soft a player will be when he reaches the college level. I think he's tried everything he can to push these guys and they aren't responding.

Maybe we should hire a team psychologist. :)jimlad:)

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Yeah the crowd got louder but it didn't help the kids play because OSU went on a 7-0 run!!! But I guess as long as the crowd got louder thats what matters.

I guess you really didn't get the sarcastic tone (by the use of the pirate). But seriously, do you go to the game to sit and not say anything? I go to games because there fun and exciting. I am one of those that believe that a home team feeds off the home crowd. And I do think that Hilton has lost some of that since they took the student section from behind the bench and put them behind the basket. Maybe I'm the only one that feels a loud crowd helps the home team.

Ok State did go on a 7-0 after the T. I don't think you can say that the T is what caused Ok st to go on the 7-0 run either.

All I am trying to say is that sometimes getting a T helps get the home crowd more into the game (especially after a bad call). But I don't know its just my opinion. The only fact is....is that we are losing and the crowd has gotten a little worse in the last few years.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Did you know:

That in ISU's last (4) wins, the opposing team had a chance to win in the last seconds. Yes, we are bad and yes it could be worse.

In the year 2010 we have beat:

North Dakota State by 2 points @ home
Houston in OT @ home
Colorado by a point @ home
Nebraska by I think 3 in Lincoln

That is flat out pathetic.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
My thoughts on the season...last night's loss...etc.

Williams Blog: A microcosm | Cyclone Fanatic

"From the bottom of my heart, I know that he is a great basketball coach. He has an intense passion for Iowa State basketball and a burning desire to win here."

Your heart is telling you one thing...is your mind telling you another?

How can you possibly know what passion or desire lies within a human being other than yourself?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Dude, you're reaching.

You do not let Obi get off that 3 there at all costs.

Why would it have been an easy dunk for someone else? Why aren't the other players doing there job to prevent that easy dunk with help defense?

You make it sound like there was NO WAY ON EARTH we could defend the play without something absolutely terrible happening. Trust me, middle of the pack OSU isn't unstoppable. The worst possible outcome of that play was giving Obi a wide open look from 3. We defended it wrong and honestly, it didn't look like we tried very hard to defend it right.

Okie State came into the game 5-5. They were stoppable at least 5 times in conference play.

With fresh legs at home, i was surpirsed how poorly we shot at the start. No one seemed to want to drive for a bucket except SC by his lonesome against four defenders.

So why can't Strap and CB drive better around the bucket - I mean put the ball in the hole OR draw a foul. I think they shoiuld be better at drawing called fouls. Perhaps they need work on showing that they were fouled....I am talking better head fakes and holding the ball away from the drfender, then getting hacked across the arms. If we cannot put a three footer in the hoop, we need to draw a foul. I think Ham is better than either Strap or CB on pump fakes.

Darth Cy

Oct 24, 2006
Ankeny
Overall, that is exactly what I thought of last nights game, very good write-up.

The one point I kind of get tired of hearing is that he is a "Great Coach". I am not just picking on what was written in the article but I have heard the same from commentators during games. To me, he has proven nothing in the Big 12 when it comes to coaching. In order to be classified as good doesn't he need to win one game in the NCAA tournment as coach anywhere, not just at ISU.

Yes, I believe he is passionate about basketball, but I as a fan am passionate too. Because he wants to win more than anything, I want them to win more than anyhting . So does that make me a great fan. I try to look for the forest through the trees but right now all I see is an area that was slashed and burned.

Oh, getting called to meeting gotta og.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
"From the bottom of my heart, I know that he is a great basketball coach. He has an intense passion for Iowa State basketball and a burning desire to win here."

Your heart is telling you one thing...is your mind telling you another?

How can you possibly know what passion or desire lies within a human being other than yourself?

:dull:
Obviously you can never know for sure but passion and desire can be hard to hide.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
In the year 2010 we have beat:

North Dakota State by 2 points @ home
Houston in OT @ home
Colorado by a point @ home
Nebraska by I think 3 in Lincoln

That is flat out pathetic.

So you are saying we are only a three pointer made against Nebraska from the cellar? Not good.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Okie State came into the game 5-5. They were stoppable at least 5 times in conference play.

With fresh legs at home, i was surpirsed how poorly we shot at the start. No one seemed to want to drive for a bucket except SC by his lonesome against four defenders.

Our D was just as horrifying. Gilstrap is the laziest, most laid-back defender we have. Why Mac put him on Anderson to start is beyond me. Anderson went off until Mac switched Gilstrap with Garrett.
DG then basically shut him down. He doesn't get enought credit regarding his D on this board. Gilstrap, however, needs a "heart transplant."

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So you are saying we are only a three pointer made against Nebraska from the cellar? Not good.

Yes... and I doubt we beat Colorado at home if their stud Burks doesn't hurt himself at the start of the game and miss the rest of the night.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Our D was just as horrifying. Gilstrap is the laziest, most laid-back defender we have. Why Mac put him on Anderson to start is beyond me. Anderson went off until Mac switched Gilstrap with Garrett.
DG then basically shut him down. He doesn't get enought credit regarding his D on this board. Gilstrap, however, needs a "heart transplant."
His D is bound to get overshadowed when he misses layups at an alarming rate in spectacular style.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Seriously Chris? You think this was the most deflating game so far? I must say you are optimistic to a fault. :jimlad:

I knew the season was over almost a month ago, after KU spanked us. We've won one game since then, against CU no less... Nothing has ever shown me that all of sudden the light bulb was going to go on. You could call the game a mircocosm, or you could just say same **** different day.

Reactions: GeronimusClone

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006

Agree with this.