Williams Blog: A Microcosm

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Okie State came into the game 5-5. They were stoppable at least 5 times in conference play.

With fresh legs at home, i was surpirsed how poorly we shot at the start. No one seemed to want to drive for a bucket except SC by his lonesome against four defenders.

So why can't Strap and CB drive better around the bucket - I mean put the ball in the hole OR draw a foul. I think they shoiuld be better at drawing called fouls. Perhaps they need work on showing that they were fouled....I am talking better head fakes and holding the ball away from the drfender, then getting hacked across the arms. If we cannot put a three footer in the hoop, we need to draw a foul. I think Ham is better than either Strap or CB on pump fakes.

Brackins did this numerous times and got absolutely no calls.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
I am going with my same prediction that I've used the last 6 games. 72-61 OSU. Not sure how it will happen, but it will cause me to yell at the tv, in turn my wife yells at me. Looks like another lonely night. This season can't end soon enough.
:wink:

That was my prediction for last night, close to the score. Correct on all other predictions though. I can't see how it will be different the rest of the season or next year. I can't handle that so, I'll be doing other things with my time.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I also agree with most of your blog, Chris, and I also feel very badly for the players and coaches. I don't doubt that the players are good kids that are working hard and want to win, and so are the coaches. But I really haven't seen anything from Greg during this almost 4 years that makes me think he is a good x's and o's guy, or can put a team together that can win at the Big 12 level. His biggest failure seems to be the ability to recruit and develop point guards. Mike Taylor was the only one and we all know how that ended. I'm not seeing Colvin progress and don't see him ever at the level of a Stinson or Blaylock, much less a Tinsley. We have had bad luck, but this is 4 years running now of bad luck. Maybe we are cursed, or maybe we're paying the price for what I thought was a very unjustified firing of Morgan, but whatever it is it's just not happening under Greg, and it's hard to see it getting better with the probable loss of Gilstrap and Brackins, and no point guard in sight that I think measures up to Big 12 standards.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
To anybody who reads CycloneFanatic.com on a consistent basis, it should be no secret to you that I really like Greg McDermott. From the bottom of my heart, I know that he is a great basketball coach. He has an intense passion for Iowa State basketball and a burning desire to win here. And you all know that he’s an incredible human being, second to none in my opinion.

What makes you believe he is a great basketball coach? Great is a might big word to be using to describe McD. He has not earned it. It is a stretch to even call him a good coach at this point.

Sorry if I don't see intense passion at ISU. At UNI? Yes. At ISU, no, I am not seeing it. At some point he just went soft, and now so have his teams. I don't even bother watching anymore. I am a "bad fan". I moved away from oceanfront California back to be close to family in Iowa and enjoy ISU athletics. Well at least the family part is fun. McDermott has singlehandedly ran ISU bball into the ground. He gets outcoached nightly, and his recruits sure don't look like much once they hit Ames, and outside of Hubalek I doubt I have seen anybody improve much at all.

I love your passion for ISU and the love you have for ISU athletics Chris, but at some point we all need to separate personal feelings from the equation and realize McD is not the man for the job at ISU. Either he goes by the end of the year at the latest, or JP should go for sticking us with his horrible contract. And I feel the way about JP that you do about McD, but actions have consequences in this world.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
IMO Coach McDermott will be back next year. I feel like Chris and I like him deep down as a basketball coach. I just don't know what to say for the team. Watching them last night was one of the most gut wrenching things I have every witnessed. I looked at my wife and said "why do I keep doing this to myself?" Meaning I just need to give up and move on. Then in the next split second I thought NO, this is my team and I love them win or lose. There is always that thought that if we every get to a National Championship game and can look at all the bandwagon jumpers and say, "You have no right this is our team." Sorry for the rant.

We just need to support this team and all teams no matter what.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
IMO Coach McDermott will be back next year. I feel like Chris and I like him deep down as a basketball coach. I just don't know what to say for the team. Watching them last night was one of the most gut wrenching things I have every witnessed. I looked at my wife and said "why do I keep doing this to myself?" Meaning I just need to give up and move on. Then in the next split second I thought NO, this is my team and I love them win or lose. There is always that thought that if we every get to a National Championship game and can look at all the bandwagon jumpers and say, "You have no right this is our team." Sorry for the rant.

We just need to support this team and all teams no matter what.

If we had blind loyalty like that DMac would still be our football coach and we would be back to the Walden years.

I am not going to support ISU basketball as long as McD as the coach. And I was a huge cheerleader of him until this year. Not anymore. I have seen all I need to see. Best to make the move and get going in the right direction, because what we are doing isn't working and isn't going to.