Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Sometimes its more efficient to hit the dumb button than to go in circles with the same morons that have been denying the severity of the virus since march, making this a problem we have to deal with for much longer than we had to.

I'm not at all denying the severity. I don't care if they don't play football. Where you lose me is the one-track-mindedness. Where you lose me is suggesting this is all being done to make JP rich. Where you lose me is acting like there can't be legitimate medical disagreement on how you can or cannot manage the disease while playing football.

So I'd ask you directly, why shouldn't we believe the doctor from Mayo? Duke?

In my mind, thinking the Big 12 is taking in information, talking to their people and have processed that information in a different manner than the Big 10 is reasonable. What's unreasonable is thinking that a guy like Jamie Pollard is completely indifferent to human life because he wants to get rich off this somehow. C'mon. He knows that if we don't play there are dozens of dominos that will fall that will have real life implications to people. None of this is happening in a vacuum. So they are doing their diligence to see if this is doable, and it appears there are legitimate doctors who seem to think it is. What's the harm in that?

If in the end it is not doable, then fine. But they have legitimate, qualified people saying that it's worth proceeding. Why wouldn't you?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Pardon my ignorance, but the pac's decision to postpone has more to do with the players organizing last week, no?

Doubtful.

The players don't have much leverage in that situation anyway. Plenty of kids willing to take a scholarship and benefits package worth $50k\year.

If anything i bet the administrators loved it because it helped them push a 'let them play' narrative.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Pardon my ignorance, but the pac's decision to postpone has more to do with the players organizing last week, no?
Yes. It played a part. I have some thoughts on that but I don’t wanna derail another thread.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So I'd ask you directly, why shouldn't we believe the doctor from Mayo? Duke?

Why single out any one doctor instead of looking to what the medical community in general would say. Very few events are happening this fall in general, outside of football, because the vast majority of medical opinion is against large groups\events.

. What's unreasonable is thinking that a guy like Jamie Pollard is completely indifferent to human life because he wants to get rich of this somehow. C'mon. He knows that if we don't play there are dozens of dominos that will fall that will have real life implications to people. So they are doing their diligence to see if this is doable, and it appears there are legitimate doctors who seem to think it is. What's the harm in that?

Id believe that more if we were already at 'no fans'. Because that seems like the bare minimum knowing the super spreader risk among the large crowds.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lose = Death
FWIW, the US averages around 12 deaths per year due to the game of football. That's counting high school and collegiate.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Sometimes its more efficient to hit the dumb button than to go in circles with the same morons that have been denying the severity of the virus since march, making this a problem we have to deal with for much longer than we had to.

Are you saying that the Mayo Clinic Drs aren't taking this virus seriously? I can assure you they are as I get emails of discussions with their virologists from them at least once a week discussing how things are going and what is generally being worked on. They are taking it very seriously. If the B12 is getting guidance from them I am thrilled.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
No. They will find that it's harder to start back up than it was to turn things off.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Why single out any one doctor instead of looking to what the medical community in general would say. Very few events are happening this fall in general, outside of football, because the vast majority of medical opinion is against large groups\events.

Id believe that more if we were already at 'no fans'. Because that seems like the bare minimum knowing the super spreader risk among the large crowds.

"The medical community in general". What does that mean? I think you are assuming consensus where it doesn't exist. My thinking is "medical community in general" is codeword for "people I agree with". I think it was you that used the word "cherry pick" earlier, which is exactly what you are doing by discounting two doctors who are, by all accounts, credible and work for well respected hospitals.

Against large groups? Great. But we aren't talking about fans here. We are talking about playing a sports, which is going on professionally as we speak.

As for no fans, no disagreement there. Time to pull the plug on that.

kcbob79clone

This "moron" has never denied the severity of the virus. Only questioned the reaction and reporting.

Since you cannot seem to understand that distinction maybe you should take a break from CF, it doesn't appear to be healthy for you.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

We know why. People won't admit it, but we know the convenience here.
It's a settled deal. This is just about trying to twist for self-justifying angles from people who care only about themselves and what they want.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Ah yes, the 'we are all overreacting to the virus'. Same thing.

You are part of the problem and why we are here.

It is entirely possible to understand that COVID is a big issue, but also try to find ways to responsibly resume our lives. It really is doable. It's also possible that two different equally qualified doctors and/or scientists can reach separate conclusions.

But nope, let's just continue assuming this is being done so JP can put a new pool in his backyard or something. Please.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's a settled deal. This is just about trying to twist for self-justifying angles from people who care only about themselves and what they want.

So answer my question then. Who is this "general medical community" we are talking about? I wasn't aware doctors had reached a consensus, so please do educate me.

Or just tag it "dumb" and move on.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It is entirely possible to understand that COVID is a big issue, but also try to find ways to responsibly resume our lives. It really is doable. It's also possible that two different equally qualified doctors and/or scientists can reach separate conclusions.

But nope, let's just continue assuming this is being done so JP can put a new pool in his backyard or something. Please.

Well, no. See, that way has been well-established and explained for all to see and know. We can't "responsibly resume" anything until we get serious about getting this under control, like, say, the rest of the world.

And it's not about JP putting a pool in his backyard. It's just that JP cares more about the financial picture than about anything else. That's abundantly clear in his public statements when he spends 90% or more of the statement talking money with a throwaway line about balancing with safety, which is just a codeword for "let's talk money, that's my focus."

kcbob79clone

FWIW, the US averages around 12 deaths per year due to the game of football. That's counting high school and collegiate.

Damn it @Statefan10 this is a CF thread the last thing @alarson and the the other coronabros want here is facts

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy and alarson

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's possible to be in the camp that you want to watch football this fall as long as those involved have the best possible care they can get. There are obvious deniers out there, and there are those on the other end of the spectrum that do in fact take it over the top. But focusing on the opposite ends is where people get into trouble and lose focus. You have to be able to look at this from the middle in order to find where the majority of people actually sit.

Help Support Us

Become a patron