Wigginton

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'll stick to my original assessment. I don't like him shooting period. It's a shame we are so thin at posts that we can't start Lard and Young at the same time. I mean we can, but there will be stretches where we either wont have one of them on the floor or if one is on the floor with Beverly, he is probably exhausted waiting for a sub. This will be such a tough year to watch but having these guys get the experience now and ready to take it up a notch next season will be fun.

Looking at team stats for the season, does the FGM & FGA % include the 3-pt made/attempted as well, or are they separate numbers? If the FGM/FGA numbers include 3-pt attempts, then Beverly is shooting 57% from inside the 3-pt line. If the FGM/FGA does not include 3-pters, then he's shooting 40%. Either way, his 3-pt % is too low to be shooting more than 1-2 per game. I wonder if he's hitting the 3 in practice and its just not translating into games?

cbclone16

Dec 9, 2016
"How many games has he gotten starter minutes?"
The most recent one. Probably a trend. Come off the bench and play 25-30 minutes.
When Brase and Talley are back I assume Beverly's minutes will go down. Right now he has to play and he hasn't been as bad as some seem to think. Definitely not the reason we're 0-2 in the conference.

Exactly. We need his minutes right now. Should Lard be starting, yes. But does it really matter if Lard/Beverly starts as long as Lard as getting the good minutes, no. Beverly is serviceable and his 5 shots/game (or whatever it is) doesn't win/lose any game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Anyone that has played basketball knows that everyone wants to (or should want to) start. Not getting rewarded for great play by moving in to the first 5 can be counter productive. It’s annoying as hell to be playing with the B squad in practice when you’re obviously one of the best 5.

And for all of the likes on CF he could really open some things up in the inbounds plays game. Those things come from reps in practice.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Anyone that has played basketball knows that everyone wants to (or should want to) start. Not getting rewarded for great play by moving in to the first 5 can be counter productive. It’s annoying as hell to be playing with the B squad in practice when you’re obviously one of the best 5.

And for all of the likes on CF he could really open some things up in the inbounds plays game. Those things come from reps in practice.

I think it's as simple as setting some quick screens, and passing the ball out more quickly. Seems like we wait a second too late when the first guy breaks open, and then wait for the second, and it's almost always a more dangerous pass.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I'll stick to my original assessment. I don't like him shooting period. It's a shame we are so thin at posts that we can't start Lard and Young at the same time. I mean we can, but there will be stretches where we either wont have one of them on the floor or if one is on the floor with Beverly, he is probably exhausted waiting for a sub. This will be such a tough year to watch but having these guys get the experience now and ready to take it up a notch next season will be fun.
His 2pt FG% is third on the team behind Lard and Babb.
Lard-65.9%
Babb-52%
Beverly-51%
Solo- 50.8%
Brase- 50%
Wigi-44%

I have no issue if he shoots inside of 12 feet

Reactions: VeloClone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

No...there are guys that love coming off the bench and providing a spark and can check their egos at the door as long as they are getting minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Jackson, on the other hand, needs to exclusively shoot 3Ps and only dribble to pass.

Lard needs to play as much as possible, which typically means starting
Hard to do when he doesn't get touches

This year is what it is and Wigginton taking some lumps this year is only going to make him a better player for the 2018/2019 season.

It was good to see Jackson getting back to knocking down 3's last night but man, the ball sticks when it hits his hands. He needs to let Babb and Wigginton handle the ball and embrace the shooter role.
I don't reallt blame Jackson for being a black hole when he gets about 8 touches a game. It is crazy that we don't run more for him. Just sit him in the corner and then don't pass it to him

• Agree
Reactions: cjs24

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I don't reallt blame Jackson for being a black hole when he gets about 8 touches a game. It is crazy that we don't run more for him. Just sit him in the corner and then don't pass it to him

They actually run quite a few plays for him along the baseline as well at the top. He's not as successful as in the tournament earlier in the season as teams have scouted him and playing him very tightly, and are aware of his propensity to take the step back jumper. He's not very tall and is having a hard time shooting without a long arm in his face. Other teams are fine with him driving since he's turnover prone when dribbling and rarely looks for the open man.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Do we even have a B squad to practice? Mist be nice to have that many healthy warm bodies.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

If he flows with the offense the chances of him getting an open look increase significantly. Ball movement around the perimeter keeps the defense moving. When the ball sticks and the flow of the offense is stagnant we become a very easy team to defend. There is enough of a sample size at this point that shows DJ is not a ball handler and shouldn't be driving/trying to create his own shot. Not a lot of good things happen when he puts the ball on the deck.

• Agree
Reactions: Dingus
Aug 11, 2016
If he flows with the offense the chances of him getting an open look increase significantly. Ball movement around the perimeter keeps the defense moving. When the ball sticks and the flow of the offense is stagnant we become a very easy team to defend. There is enough of a sample size at this point that shows DJ is not a ball handler and shouldn't be driving/trying to create his own shot. Not a lot of good things happen when he puts the ball on the deck.

I agree with you about DJ not handling the ball and shooting in rhythm. DJ gets his best looks in transition not in offensive sets. When we run the court we can drive and kick out to the shooters. The last 10 minutes of the game we were running slow sets taking the air out of the ball and that is not ISU's strength. It was the same 1-4 set over and over again.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Looking at team stats for the season, does the FGM & FGA % include the 3-pt made/attempted as well, or are they separate numbers? If the FGM/FGA numbers include 3-pt attempts, then Beverly is shooting 57% from inside the 3-pt line. If the FGM/FGA does not include 3-pters, then he's shooting 40%. Either way, his 3-pt % is too low to be shooting more than 1-2 per game. I wonder if he's hitting the 3 in practice and its just not translating into games?
His freshman year he hit 19 threes at a .413 rate. I wonder if his days playing football messed with his shot or something.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly. We need his minutes right now. Should Lard be starting, yes. But does it really matter if Lard/Beverly starts as long as Lard as getting the good minutes, no. Beverly is serviceable and his 5 shots/game (or whatever it is) doesn't win/lose any game.
He is averaging 5.6 points a game on 5.4 shots a game.

He started the season atrociously from 3, but since he got the lid off of the basket he has hit 3 of 7 threes point attempts.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Ball movement around the perimeter keeps the defense moving. When the ball sticks and the flow of the offense is stagnant we become a very easy team to defend. .
This is my point. The ball has stuck....a lot...the last two games.

Hard for DJ to get touches when the ball sticks.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
DJ is one of the main culprits for the ball sticking....
Disagree especially against KSU. Put up a whopping 5 shots. 1 assist and 1 TO. So about 7 touches if he is truly a black hole.

Meanwhile, Wigginton had one assist and Babb had 4

Texas was much batter for all but Wigginton was 2-14 with 2 assists. Whereas DJack was actually hitting shots. So I would say Wigginton was a little more of a black hole.

I agree DJack needs to shoot more and put the ball on the floor less but he did not get a lot of touches or shots against UNI, MES and KASU. They parked him in the corner for most of the game. So, I can understand him shooting a little more against Texas, especially when his shot came back. We needed offense and we weren't getting it from Wigginton or Babb.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Disagree especially against KSU. Put up a whopping 5 shots. 1 assist and 1 TO. So about 7 touches if he is truly a black hole.

Meanwhile, Wigginton had one assist and Babb had 4

Texas was much batter for all but Wigginton was 2-14 with 2 assists. Whereas DJack was actually hitting shots. So I would say Wigginton was a little more of a black hole.

I agree DJack needs to shoot more and put the ball on the floor less but he did not get a lot of touches or shots against UNI, MES and KASU. They parked him in the corner for most of the game. So, I can understand him shooting a little more against Texas, especially when his shot came back. We needed offense and we weren't getting it from Wigginton or Babb.

I'm not talking about taking shots, I'm talking about holding the ball or killing ball reversals.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We're the best in the state, I guess.
No Iowa teams playing for the national title this year, so we can really embrace that state title.
I dunno. Drake is my dark horse to win the Valley Tournament and be the first ever 16 seed to topple a 1.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Help Support Us

Become a patron