Why are people down on Mahoney?

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Go play intramuals!

Seriously though coach has faith in him thus the reason for him kicking long FG's but he is actually really good inside 45 if you look at his stats. I am not going to be critical of a college kicker missing from outside of 50. Heck NFL kickers who get paid to do it can't even kick 50 yarders at a clip of 50%. I think they are just under this year from that distance

I actually thought Mahoney had a lot better year until I went and looked at the numbers after the game Sat. I think he is towards, or at, the bottom of the Big 12.
He just didnt have a very good year. I like the kid though, if that means anything.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Seriously you brought up Yelk. Dude the kicker who we refer to other kickers by. As in Mahoney Yelked 2 kicks against Missouri.

IODubyaA

Nov 5, 2008
Ames, Iowa
1 out of 9. Sure

But 7 out of 9 of those were from 45 yards or further. Come on guys they weren't easy kicks

I agree.. since when did it become expected to make 45+ yard field goals. Maybe the offense could get closer for more makable kicks? Kicking is a lot about confidence and when you miss it brings you down even when you miss kicks that are 50+ which Mahoney is tied for most attempted in the nation.

Beginning of the season they were more makable distances and then later in the year they were not. Besides the mizzou game which was obviously a bad game for him.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Neb -49 yards
55 yards
Yet he was good from 57 in that game. Make either one of the other kicks and the Cyclones beat Nebraska and are going bowling.

In no way, though, am I putting the Nebraska loss solely on Mahoney. The same thing could be said about Arnaud. If he doesn't throw that pick 6, the Cyclones beat Nebraska and are going bowling.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
As he should. He played awful against Missouri. But other than that game, he played good this season and his stats back it up. But if you want to rag on a kid for missing 50 yarders, I guess you can. I won't. I have seen to many ISU kickers who couldn't make anything inside 40 yards. Mahoney has and does

I'm not ragging on the kid what so ever, but he was disappointing down the stretch this year. Mahoney is better than what he showed us in the 2nd half this season, he has proven that he can makes those kicks somewhat consistently.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Yep, one bad game. One bad game that is the last game and so Iowa State fans will go all off season talking about how bad Mahoney is.

But the fact is that he came into the game 7 for 8 at FG's inside of 45 yards. Tell me that isn't a good season for a kicker

Lots of teams would like accuracy like that.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Seriously you brought up Yelk. Dude the kicker who we refer to other kickers by. As in Mahoney Yelked 2 kicks against Missouri.

If you're referring to my post, I didn't say Yelk was accurate. I said Benike was accurate inside 45 yards, as he wouldn't even attempt long field goals, Yelk would come in for those.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Adam Benike was pretty accurate inside 45 yards (as Yelk would kick the longer field goals) I'm trying to find his stats.

Benike was a solid kicker but he made nothing but short kicks. When he had to kick over 40 yards he went 3 for 6 and attempted zero 50 yard kicks.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Yep, one bad game. One bad game that is the last game and so Iowa State fans will go all off season talking about how bad Mahoney is.

But the fact is that he came into the game 7 for 8 at FG's inside of 45 yards. Tell me that isn't a good season for a kicker

To me, that is just a Division I kicker doing his job, but nothing special to write home about.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree.. since when did it become expected to make 45+ yard field goals. Maybe the offense could get closer for more makable kicks? Kicking is a lot about confidence and when you miss it brings you down even when you miss kicks that are 50+ which Mahoney is tied for most attempted in the nation.

Beginning of the season they were more makable distances and then later in the year they were not. Besides the mizzou game which was obviously a bad game for him.

CPR is putting him out there to kick 45+ yard field goals, right? That must mean he expects Mahoney to make them...

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
1 out of 9. Sure

But 7 out of 9 of those were from 45 yards or further. Come on guys they weren't easy kicks
Good kickers are 80% or better from within 40 yards. Great kickers are 80% or better from all distances or 90% or better from within 40 yards. Mahoney is 4 of 6 from inside 40 yards this year. 4 of 11 from beyond 40. No matter how you break it down, his numbers are not all that great. I am trying to remember if any of them were game winning high pressure type kicks and I don't think any were.

With that said....
  1. The long snapping this year was not great and had to mess with his head
  2. I don't like the offense and the staff putting him in the position to kick long fields as much as they did. It messes with his confidence and 55% of the time it gave the opposing team a short field.
Some people think that the missed field goals didn't hurt against Mizzou because we still would have lost. interesting enough, mizzou scored bot TDs on their drives after the missed FGs. Missed FGs definitely take some air out of the team.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Why are people down?

(a) Make only 1 of your last 9. Yes, some were long, but some of those were also with the wind.

(b) Miss two makeable kicks that would have impacted a critical game. A 3-0 lead would have been important. A 7-6 ballgame down the stretch might have made a huge difference.

(c) Miss makeable kicks at home, against MU, in last game of season. Been there, done that. Too many painful memories to see it happen again.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Yeah there are. Many, many, many.

No there aren't. Go look up the stats if you want. Not a lot of college kickers make 45+ yard kicks on a consistent basis. Only 33% of kickers in college football made a kick of 50 yards or further this year.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Because his only job is to kick field goals. he isn't doing that job. That is why people are down on him. Nothing kills momentum more than having a nice drive screwed up because somebody can't do their one and only job.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Good kickers are 80% or better from within 40 yards. Great kickers are 80% or better from all distances or 90% or better from within 40 yards. Mahoney is 4 of 6 from inside 40 yards this year. 4 of 11 from beyond 40. No matter how you break it down, his numbers are not all that great. I am trying to remember if any of them were game winning high pressure type kicks and I don't think any were.

With that said....
  1. The long snapping this year was not great and had to mess with his head
  2. I don't like the offense and the staff putting him in the position to kick long fields as much as they did. It messes with his confidence and 55% of the time it gave the opposing team a short field.
Some people think that the missed field goals didn't hurt against Mizzou because we still would have lost. interesting enough, mizzou scored bot TDs on their drives after the missed FGs. Missed FGs definitely take some air out of the team.

So what you are saying is that besides the Missouri game, Grant Mahoney is a GOOD kicker. I agree.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

Oh, so the Mizzouri game doesn't count? I didn't realize that:jimlad:.
FWIW- I don't think too many people were questioning his ability before the Mizzou game. It wasn't until he missed two under 40 that people began questioning his ability. Keep in mind his season stats this year are the worst of his career. Prior to this year, he was 80% within 40 yards. This year 66% and he attempted far fewer FGs this year than the last two.