Why are people down on Mahoney?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I can't think of a game that Mahoney played bad besides Missouri. Did he miss kicks in other games? Yes. But overall for the season he did good on kickoffs, even tackled well, and he was good from inside 45 (until the Mizzou game).

I will say it over and over, as an ISU fan, I don't know how I can be critical of a kid missing 45+ yard FG's.

Oh, I am sorry, I thought we were talking about his FG kicking since that is ALL YOU TALKED ABOUT. I didn't see you mention kickoffs, and tackling. I didn't see you mention kick return % and average kickoff distance. I didn't see you list stats or discuss the onside kick or the fake kick/option. Now that we are including kick offs, I will say he was much, much better this year on kickoffs. He did great on the onside. he ran the option well and he tackled well.

His field goal kicking was not good.

BTW- who is critical of him kicking over 45 yards. Most are critical of his kicking under 45 yards. It doesn't match up as "good" when compared to other kickers. As a matter of fact it is below average. I don't know how you can claim his field goal kicking of 45 yards and less is good. It just doesn't match up with the competition. Keep in mind, none of those were high pressure kicks. Not one

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Ugh, I edited that post. If you are capable of reading, I was comparing Shaggy's first three years to Mahoney's first three years. That is where I got 5-10. Mahoney still has a year left.

Now we all know that Mahoney attempts more 50+ yarders. No one is arguing that. Ae a matter of fact that is why most of us break it down into expected kicks 40 yards and shorter. Even in the shorter FG Mahoney does not match up. If he is good-great then hemakes those 80% of the time and he doesn't

This is dead on. You can sense desparation when people start to skew the statistics in order to make their argument seem more logical.

Bottom line is that I would put my money on Shaggy if the kick were less than 40 yds. Over 40 neither is good (GM=52% Shaggy was 37%) Mahoney gets the nod but Im not sure that 52% is anything to brag about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron