Who's On Pollard's Short List?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Oregon State coach or the Washington State coach would be interesting to me. They are out of the power 5 at this point.
First, there is no way Campbell is on the hot seat. He will be here for 2024 season. But, he definitely needs to make some changes to our approach on offense.

Agree both OSU & WSU coaches have done a really good job. They win and are exciting to watch. Not required, but I like the idea of our coaches having strong Midwest roots.

For that reason, if Jamie has a list, maybe the following guys are on it:
  • Jon Heacock
  • Jake Dickert - WSU HC
  • Andy Kotelnicki - KU OC
  • Ryan Grubb - UW OC
  • Levar Woods - IA ST

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Any HC that retained much of the defensive staff. Perhaps that’s Heacock or Tyson

Even Manning as HC, with an offensive mentor as his OC, with this defensive staff, likely is an improvement in isolation

Had CMC gotten the USC job like he wanted, we should have gone affordable at HC with internal hire, use savings on hiring a real OC, use buyout money to buy some players.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Any HC that retained much of the defensive staff. Perhaps that’s Heacock or Tyson

Even Manning as HC, with an offensive mentor as his OC, with this defensive staff, likely is an improvement in isolation

While that would be optimal, it’s probably not a likely outcome in a coaching change situation.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
The Oregon State coach or the Washington State coach would be interesting to me. They are out of the power 5 at this point.

Jonathan Smith played at Oregon State. He might leave but I think if he does it would have to be something bigger than ISU, power conference or not.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
First off we won’t fire Matt for two years at minimum. To high of a buy out. However, please give me. Coach that at least plays an exciting style of football. I would rather get beat 35-32 than lose 10-7
Campbell's offense makes it really easy to defend us and allows us less room for errors.

We all can see this: as the offense has moved away from a more wide open, spread, RPO attack to this power run disaster Campbell's infatuated with, we've obviously regressed.

We run fewer plays which means fewer chances to score. We put our O-lineman in a scheme they can't execute well. We run vanilla plays. All this shrinks the margin for error. Yeah, I want to win in the margins but narrowing the margins so much where any one little mistake can cost you the game is just dumb.

I had hoped Scheelhaase's O would be much more wide open and that Campbell would reverse course on trying to be the power running team of the Big XII. But it looks like his stubbornness is winning out. Unless he can recruit elite O-lineman, a power running scheme here isn't going to work.

And really, isn't a more wide open spread offense more fun to watch and play in for the players?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'm hoping that they try to change up the scheme and pass first to open up the run. I'm not going to hold my breath.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
No he's very obviously not getting fired. But that doesn't mean, and I can't believe I'm saying this, that he shouldn't be.

We are undeniably regressing. In a bad, bad way. Especially on offense.

And don't give me the we're young crap.
We're freaking young on defense too. At least in terms of experience and overall.

Whats TO? Sophomore. Orange, sophomore. Bacon, walk on what? Sophomore? Freshman line backer. The only place we're not is in the secondary.
Defense may be young but they are still playing great. That is because of Heacock. The man is a legend!

What's the excuse for the offense? There is no excuse for being that bad. We have some really good tight ends, good running backs, decent WRs... the problem is the play calling and Campbell refusing to change it.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
  • Agree
Reactions: flycy and DarkStar

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Campbell's offense makes it really easy to defend us and allows us less room for errors.

We all can see this: as the offense has moved away from a more wide open, spread, RPO attack to this power run disaster Campbell's infatuated with, we've obviously regressed.

We run fewer plays which means fewer chances to score. We put our O-lineman in a scheme they can't execute well. We run vanilla plays. All this shrinks the margin for error. Yeah, I want to win in the margins but narrowing the margins so much where any one little mistake can cost you the game is just dumb.

I had hoped Scheelhaase's O would be much more wide open and that Campbell would reverse course on trying to be the power running team of the Big XII. But it looks like his stubbornness is winning out. Unless he can recruit elite O-lineman, a power running scheme here isn't going to work.

And really, isn't a more wide open spread offense more fun to watch and play in for the players?
I'm not disagreeing with you.........but I guess the problem is our RPO starting 8 yards deep at a near stand still with a full second of scrimmage line reversal is not "power running". CAm Newton and crew could do it well against Vanderbilt.......we can't.