Who's On Pollard's Short List?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
They out scored us and were undefeated. So yeah at the time it was true. Our offense was mind numbing bad the first three games. We scored like seven points on Ohio. Not Ohio state but Ohio
Imagine saying something this foolish this openly then continuing to dig in. Just eat your crow pal. You’re not the first person to be wrong on here

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They out scored us and were undefeated. So yeah at the time it was true. Our offense was mind numbing bad the first three games. We scored like seven points on Ohio. Not Ohio state but Ohio
Didn't we take our foot off the gas vs UNI in the third quarter because the game was over at that point? Could have probably scored in the 40s.
Wasn't Iowa's D incredible this year?
Didn't significant contributors get a virus before landing in Ohio (who is decent)?

And again this team was YOUNG and we had projected starters out from gambling.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We also had a very young/new team, and mostly overhauled offensive coaching staff. For most people, starting out slow is just common sense in that situation.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Watching Lakes get kicked out of Paddys when he came to Ames was absolutely hilarious, then reading his posts here as to why he was kicked out and what actually transpired added even more hilarity.
Care to share? I missed those posts.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Aclone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Ohio ended the season rated 76th in all of college football according to SP+. Ahead of BYU, Baylor, Cincinnati and Houston. Also ahead of Illinois, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana, and just behind Nebraska, Northwestern and Minnesota. They ended the year 9-3. They weren't a great football team, but they weren't so bad that a decent team with the flu would still be a heavy favorite.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Didn't we take our foot off the gas vs UNI in the third quarter because the game was over at that point? Could have probably scored in the 40s.
Wasn't Iowa's D incredible this year?
Didn't significant contributors get a virus before landing in Ohio (who is decent)?

And again this team was YOUNG and we had projected starters out from gambling.
Their were a few of us who were saying these things. Everyone acts like losing to a g5 is something that never happens, just a few. 2001 Colorado lost at home to Fresno finished the season #3 in the BCS. 2010 va tech lost to Boise and fcs James Madison then won 11 straight and finished undefeated in the ACC. Kirk is 2-2 all time vs Western Michigan with a loss to central Michigan as well, it happens. This thread was ridiculous from the start.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Their were a few of us who were saying these things. Everyone acts like losing to a g5 is something that never happens, just a few. 2001 Colorado lost at home to Fresno finished the season #3 in the BCS. 2010 va tech lost to Boise and fcs James Madison then won 11 straight and finished undefeated in the ACC. Kirk is 2-2 all time vs Western Michigan with a loss to central Michigan as well, it happens. This thread was ridiculous from the start.
Oklahoma St and the coach of the year got their asses handed to them by South Alabama in Stillwater, 33-7, and also started the season 1-2.

Does CMC's teams play well in Sept? Not usually but this year is tough for me to tie it into the other years because of everything else.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Ohio ended the season rated 76th in all of college football according to SP+. Ahead of BYU, Baylor, Cincinnati and Houston. Also ahead of Illinois, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana, and just behind Nebraska, Northwestern and Minnesota. They ended the year 9-3. They weren't a great football team, but they weren't so bad that a decent team with the flu would still be a heavy favorite.

I agree that Ohio is a good team, and with the flu/food poisoning/whatever it was, that loss wasn’t AS bad as it felt at the time…

But any list that honestly says Penn State is better than Alabama is ridiculous.

Even if Bama had a relatively easy SEC schedule and non-con, PSU got dogwalked by any team that had a pulse.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I agree that Ohio is a good team, and with the flu/food poisoning/whatever it was, that loss wasn’t AS bad as it felt at the time…

But any list that honestly says Penn State is better than Alabama is ridiculous.

Even if Bama had a relatively easy SEC schedule and non-con, PSU got dogwalked by any team that had a pulse.
Penn State only lost to Michigan by 9, Ohio State by 8, and only had one win by less than 3 scores (an 11-point win against Indiana). I can see how the analytics like them.

Maybe those OSU and UM games didn't feel as close because Penn State was pretty much unable to do anything offensively, but both were very competitive until each of OSU and UM got TDs with less than 5 minutes left to push the games to two scores. I don't think I'd classify either game as getting "dogwalked".

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Penn State only lost to Michigan by 9, Ohio State by 8, and only had one win by less than 3 scores (an 11-point win against Indiana). I can see how the analytics like them.

Maybe those OSU and UM games didn't feel as close because Penn State was pretty much unable to do anything offensively, but both were very competitive until each of OSU and UM got TDs with less than 5 minutes left to push the games to two scores. I don't think I'd classify either game as getting "dogwalked".
They were 100% dog walked against Michigan.

Michigan said screw you, I'm not passing the ball once and I double, triple dog dare you to stop me (they couldn't.)
And at the same time they said screw you twice, your offense ain't gonna do crap.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
They were 100% dog walked against Michigan.

Michigan said screw you, I'm not passing the ball once and I double, triple dog dare you to stop me (they couldn't.)
And at the same time they said screw you twice, your offense ain't gonna do crap.
Here are the team stats for the game. Not all that different. Certainly Michigan ran the ball a ton and still did it successfully, but they still had over half their drives in the game finish with a punt after one first down or less. Until 4:15 left in the game (after Michigan's 4th attempt to push it to a two-score lead), Penn State remained no more than one play plus a two point conversion away from a tie or lead.
1702488210199.png

I know the game wasn't as close as these simple stat lines indicate. But for Penn State "not being able to stop" them, Michigan sure missed a lot of opportunities to seal the game long before late in the 4th quarter.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

That sheet doesn't have the actual scores, but the scores essentially say that PSU would be about a 2pt favorite on a neutral field against Bama. So not much difference.

And to be clear, the two teams that "dogwalked" PSU were the number 1 and 3 teams in the country. PSU's post game win expectancy in every other game was like 90%+. From a "quality of football" perspective their loss to Michigan was equivalent to Bamas loss to Texas.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Its not just about stats though. Michigan said - I'm not throwing the ball. 3 people are going to touch the ball. That's F YOU.

And Penn State couldn;t.

Michigan literally said "Stop me. I dare you."

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone