Who made the best hire?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Archie was my hope for Iowa State so I'll have to go with Indiana. Didn't realize it would take this much for him to move.

Underwood and Martin are close, but I'd rather have Cuonzo and his great recruiting with questionable coaching.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
I guess OSU hired their "TJ" - surprised me after all the ridicule of being cheap and losing Underwood.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'd flip Illinois and Indiana just because of what Underwood did this year. It's nothing short of impressive. Miller has been incredibly solid at Dayton though.
I agree Underwood was impressive but there was still talent in Stillwater. They had a lot of injuries last year and Ford was on the way ouit. I think Miller is more impressive and I think he will do wonders at Indiana. Underwood will do fine in Illinois but I don't think he will do as well.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Indiana for sure. Archie is big time.

Illinois- Underwood can coach, but can he recruit? It's even harder with a 1-yr stint on his record.

Mizzou- Not convinced they can be a bball school again. Cuonzo can recruit but does not have a track record of winning in March. He's the next Lorenzo Romar IMO.

OSU - woof.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Pretty much on board with many others here.
1. Indiana
2. Illinois
3. Missouri
4. Oklahoma State
--> I think Illinois did fine snagging Underwood, since I'm not sure they would've been able to get Miller anyway.

I wonder if any P5 can/will scoop up Chris Mack this offseason?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think all of them can work, depending on what the expectations are.

Travis Ford managed to get to 5 tournaments in Stillwater. Ok St always has talent and apparently the guy was picked by the President/BoR, not Holder.

Maybe Miller can get IU to where his brother has Zona.

Underwood is a mystery imo. Ok St was going to be a lot better regardless. Can he recruit to the level needed to appease the Illinois fans? He's following a disaster, so that will help.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think all of them can work, depending on what the expectations are.

A key factor. That's why it might be unfair to judge the hires straight-up. Martin doesn't seem like a fantastic hire, but all Missouri needs(for now) is to be not-completely-horrible, so this coaching move makes sense to get to that level, at least. Still appears Mizzou is committed to a football-first focus, otherwise they'd try for some kind of (relative) home-run.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Mizzou needs to deal with "buyers remorse". If they fail to resurrect their basketball they are going to struggle big time.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Okie State

Bigger question for Martin at Missouri is does he get Porter without hiring his father?? And I question his ability to rapidly turn around a program that has been mired in the mud for several years. He has one year with Porter...does he get enough momentum to get some stability? Love the Indiana hire...

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
Okie State

Bigger question for Martin at Missouri is does he get Porter without hiring his father?? And I question his ability to rapidly turn around a program that has been mired in the mud for several years. He has one year with Porter...does he get enough momentum to get some stability? Love the Indiana hire...
There is more than one Porter and one would figure they'll get more recruits. Martin has recruited well everywhere. After Anderson they'll celebrate Martin's previous levels of success.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
There is more than one Porter and one would figure they'll get more recruits. Martin has recruited well everywhere. After Anderson they'll celebrate Martin's previous levels of success.
While I do agree that Martin is an upgrade from Anderson, I don't see him getting past the middle of the pack SEC. His previous records at both Tennessee and Cal didn't show any rapid improvement (and both were starting at a middle of the pack position). Maybe he will turn around Missouri...he will have a key part in Porter and the fan base is just looking for an excuse to get behind the team.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Martin was good at both UT and Cal. Look at the records.

He finished 24-13/11-7 and the Sweet 16 his final year in K'town and 21-13/10-8 his final at Cal. I'm not sure where this narrative that he can't coach comes from but it's not accurate. The question is valid to ask if he'll stay long enough to build something special.

In my eyes, he got run by nasty fans from UT. And he likely found Cal's campus culture and the surrounding Bay Area not particularly appealing. I've lived there myself after being raised in Iowa. Could not wait to leave the place.

I look for him to do fine in COMO.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri
OSU

Miller was the 'jewel' of this year's coaching carousel. I think he'll do great at IU. Then again, I thought Crean was a fantastic hire for them...good thing I'm not an AD.

I think Underwood is a good coach. Some players made huge strides under him and the team played their butts off every game. That said, we did have an 0-6 streak to start the Big 12 season and finished 0-5 to end it. As a few others have said, any coach would have done better this season than Ford did because of getting Evans and Forte back. Underwood will do fine there.

Missouri - OSU has been down, but holy crap, Missouri has been a real dumpster fire. Can only go up?

OSU - While Mizzou can only go up, we definitely can get worse. I'm not excited about the hire, but I'm not crawling to the edge of a cliff either. There was a groundswell of support for Gottlieb, but I didn't like the fact he had zero college coaching experience. At least he would have had instant fan support. I'm in a wait and see mode with Boynton. Here's hoping he crushes it.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

Help Support Us

Become a patron