Who made the best hire?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Illinois with Underwood
oSu with Boynton
Indiana with Miller
Missouri with Martin

I'm going with Counzo. He's back home. Has the state to himself. Has won at other P5 places. Will have strong fanbase support from the get-go. And starts with a one&done recruit.

Second for me is Miller. Off a good tree. But IU is a tough trip, presently. I'd not be surprised if he succeeds or fails given the blue blood nature of that place.

Underwood is returning to a state where he assisted but that doesn't count, does it? He'll struggle getting Chicago kids to C-U.

And finally, Boynton. Puzzling. I have no clue who he is other than Brad's assistant. Players seem to like. But losing those two guards will challenge his start.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Miller - is a known recruiter and good X's and O's coach had consistent success putting Dayton on the map. Has the family name that will get recruits attention. Young and has a good chance to be a fixture at Bloomington for years.

Underwood - Won at all his stops though only one year at the P5 level. Does have some experience coaching in Illinois (western) to help get into the Chicago AAU scene. Already jumped two programs in 3 years what if a blue blood comes calling or there is difficulty will he jump again? 3 million a year for him seem high with his resume to date.

Martin - Mizzou great rep as a recruiter in a state that produces a lot of talent especially in St. Louis. Not to mention already getting the #1 player in the Nation to commit in a week. Hasn't really translated to wins at Tennessee or Cal lot of questions about his actual coaching ability.

Boyton - Total unknown as a head coach, rep as a good recruiter and could allow OSU to keep next years roster in tact and recruits stay committed avoiding a total rebuild. Appears from the outside that the AD isn't prioritizing the B-Ball program and doesn't rally the fan base to games.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd flip Illinois and Indiana just because of what Underwood did this year. It's nothing short of impressive. Miller has been incredibly solid at Dayton though.

I think Miller has a little stronger track record and is staying in an area he has a lot of recruiting ties.

But, yeah, Underwood had a great year too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Illinois with Underwood
oSu with Boynton
Indiana with Miller
Missouri with Martin

I'm going with Counzo. He's back home. Has the state to himself. Has won at other P5 places. Will have strong fanbase support from the get-go. And starts with a one&done recruit.

Second for me is Miller. Off a good tree. But IU is a tough trip, presently. I'd not be surprised if he succeeds or fails given the blue blood nature of that place.

Underwood is returning to a state where he assisted but that doesn't count, does it? He'll struggle getting Chicago kids to C-U.

And finally, Boynton. Puzzling. I have no clue who he is other than Brad's assistant. Players seem to like. But losing those two guards will challenge his start.

I second your rankings. I was tempted to go with Miller #1, but Martin getting Porter Jr to follow him and playing in the SEC means he can win right away and compete in the upper-third of the conference. The Big 10 had so many young rosters this year, and those teams may not lose a lot of players to the draft.

I caught Seth Greenberg on Mike & Mike this morning who said that Indiana just hired a clone of Tom Crean = high-energy guy that wins consistently at the mid-major level and can recruit well. I think that's a spot-on analysis. I still think he's a better hire than Alford, but I think the expectations don't match the realities at IU. I could see the Hoosiers making the Elite 8 next year and then missing the tourney completely a few years from now.

Underwood at Illinois is a great hire, but it's going to be interesting to see which players leave the other schools in the Big 10. That conference may actually be the most competitive next season. Underwood inherited a pretty decent roster at OSU - I don't know if that's the case at Illinois.

I know nothing about Boynton, so he ranks 4th.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Indiana. And its not even close.

They paid Archie Miller who is regarded as one of the best up and coming coaches in the nation. And they got him for about $4 million per year.

Illinois paid Underwood $3.2 mil. He may turn out to be a great coach but he only has 1 year of big boy basketball experience. And Missouri paid Martin about the same. Martin has 2 NCAA tournaments in 9 years - and one of those was a play-in game where they beat two double digit seeds to go to the Sweet 16.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I second your rankings. I was tempted to go with Miller #1, but Martin getting Porter Jr to follow him and playing in the SEC means he can win right away and compete in the upper-third of the conference. The Big 10 had so many young rosters this year, and those teams may not lose a lot of players to the draft.

I caught Seth Greenberg on Mike & Mike this morning who said that Indiana just hired a clone of Tom Crean = high-energy guy that wins consistently at the mid-major level and can recruit well. I think that's a spot-on analysis. I still think he's a better hire than Alford, but I think the expectations don't match the realities at IU. I could see the Hoosiers making the Elite 8 next year and then missing the tourney completely a few years from now.

Underwood at Illinois is a great hire, but it's going to be interesting to see which players leave the other schools in the Big 10. That conference may actually be the most competitive next season. Underwood inherited a pretty decent roster at OSU - I don't know if that's the case at Illinois.

I know nothing about Boynton, so he ranks 4th.

Except pretty much everyone who has ever come in contact with Crean thinks he's a huge a-hole and I've never seen/heard that about Miller.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'd flip Illinois and Indiana just because of what Underwood did this year. It's nothing short of impressive. Miller has been incredibly solid at Dayton though.

I think underwood did fine but I bet forever would have had similar results.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Illinois

Indiana
Mizzou

OSU

Underwood is a very good coach and what he did with OSU this year was impressive especially when you consider he saw enough of dumpster fire there to get the heck out.

I think Miller will have similar results to Crean

I am not a Cuonzo fan at all. I don't think there is a good fan base there. Best bet for Cuonzo is the get in the tourney and he bolts again.

I think Boynton is a 'lets hire someone and try to figure this **** out long term'.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Okie st admin should get credit for not listening to fans who don't come to games for not hiring who they wanted.

Reactions: 3GenClone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Illinois

Indiana
Mizzou

OSU

Underwood is a very good coach and what he did with OSU this year was impressive especially when you consider he saw enough of dumpster fire there to get the heck out.

I think Miller will have similar results to Crean

I am not a Cuonzo fan at all. I don't think there is a good fan base there. Best bet for Cuonzo is the get in the tourney and he bolts again.

I think Boynton is a 'lets hire someone and try to figure this **** out long term'.

Inevitable. He will be gone by 2020, onto another school where he will get a pay raise to help rebuild even though he doesn't really do anything extraordinary at his current job. Check his job history as a head coach. The loyalty will expire after year three.

Archie Miller to Indiana gets my vote. I was hoping he would take a look at coming to ISU a couple years ago but he was obviously holding out for an elite job.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Wow, just looked at the at the Oklahoma State Hire. That is horrible. I thought they could have done better. Did they really miss out on all of their choices to the point where they just went with one of their assistants?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Wow, just looked at the at the Oklahoma State Hire. That is horrible. I thought they could have done better. Did they really miss out on all of their choices to the point where they just went with one of their assistants?
The A.D. evidently wanted to hire Doug. But he got voted down by the committee there. Would that have looked better, Gottlieb?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe Underwood had his success at SFA and this year at OSU largely because of Boynton?

That's possible. But the guy interviewed for the head coaching position after Underwood left SFA and they passed on him. But we'll find out soon enough.