Who is/was your favorite Cyclone?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
OT:

I would pick Mike Busch in baseball. I think he also was a good football player. I've always thought that they should have kept baseball. Maybe with the extra TV money, JP will...

Busch was great at both baseball and football. Vantiger was a finalist for the "golden spikes" award back in the day. I thought it was great when Busch was in the Dodger organization.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Busch was great at both baseball and football. Vantiger was a finalist for the "golden spikes" award back in the day. I thought it was great when Busch was in the Dodger organization.

I followed him for quite a while, along with other former Clone players. I always thought he would go the football route, but maybe pro baseball was better.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Football: Bret Oberg Hoops: Hoiberg Wrestling: Steve Hamilton and Dan Troupe ( Troupe got more *** than any 190-pounder in history) Baseball: Tom Vantiger. these are my faves that I saw in person and were enrolled when I was.
Troupe did work the ladies as hard as he worked on the mat.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Football: Bret Oberg Hoops: Hoiberg Wrestling: Steve Hamilton and Dan Troupe ( Troupe got more *** than any 190-pounder in history) Baseball: Tom Vantiger. these are my faves that I saw in person and were enrolled when I was.

Eric Voelker > Dan

ALL DAY LONG
and then some

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Football -- Matt Blair. Not only a great player as a "Monster Back" at ISU, but a great NFL linebacker as well. IMO he should have been elected to the NFL HOF a long time ago. Before LT, MB was considered the prototypical weak side linebacker for a number of years. MB could blitz the QB, defend the run, and cover almost any running back, or receiver in pass defense. A major reason why the Vikes rarely used nickel and dime packages back in their heyday.

Read this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331184-crazy-canton-cuts-matt-blair#

MBB -- Freddy, the Mayor! A hometown kid (I grew up in Ames during the sixties and seventies) that did good. Cool as cucumber in pressure situations.

Wrestling -- Chris Taylor, the most mobile 300+ pound man I've ever seen in my life. Chris had excellent technique despite everyone saying his weight was the reason he won so many matches; his Olympic bronze medal is proof of that.

WBB -- Aus.

Hockey -- Eric Hudson, goalie; is able to hold more than his own in a hockey fight. Once held a U-Michigan-Dearborn player in a headlock for the duration of a ten minute brouhaha -- it was awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mook

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Football: Ellis Hobbs III
MBB: Hoiberg (Greatest Cyclone Ever)
WBB: Erica Haugen (gotta show some love to the roomie)
T/F: Toss up either my boy Andy "i can jump 7 feet and you cant" Kohler or my other boy Kyle "krip" Rippey
Wrestling: Backes will always be a favorite of mine but I think big Z may have surpassed him.

Hawkfan44

Dec 13, 2008
Ennis Haywood! I got a chance to meet him at Trice and told him what a great back I thought he was! He was appreciative of that from a guy wearing Hawk gear! Love that guy! Sorry but in my eyes nobody compares! Good luck guys!

Reactions: The Mook

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I could also go back to David Archer a while ago. I remember listening to the Clones beating Iowa with him at QB as a kid on AM radio, helping my dad on the farm. Enis was a great player, too. Too long between him and the next 1000 yard back at ISU.

Archer should have made my Underrated team.

I guess he'll have to be on the Easily Overlooked squad.

Re: some mentions of Brackins — although it'll be typical to unfairly link him with the program's stagnation, I've always liked him. Intelligent, even-keeled, really wanted to do well. I don't follow the NBA nearly as much as CBB, but in this case I hope he could have an extensive career, just because he's a good guy.

As for my favorites, taking into account more than "best-of" -- I may have to think about that. My list will definitely include Angie Welle and Jeff Hornacek.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Matt Blair. I still remember a hit he made on a Arkansas running back down in(Fatville)

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
I thought Busch would try the football route also. anyway, a very good 2-sport star

Busch made All American teams in both football and baseball. Pretty impressive.

Not sure if you remember, but he made the infamous decision to play for the Dodgers as a replacement player during the 1994 players' strike. He was then called up to the big leagues after the dispute was resolved and the veteran players froze him out. I remember Brett Butler specifically being a real jerk to Mike afterwards. For example, he hit a home run and no players met him to congratulate him.

He has been a manager in the minor leagues (independent Northern League) for a while.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Football - Lane Danielsen because he could take massive hits over the middle and always popped right back up. Tim Dobbins too, what a motor.

Basketball - Mike Nurse because he had a knack for draining back-breaking threes. It was awesome to watch him crush the other teams hopes.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
All these are great and I enjoyed all those guys. My personal favorite would be Dedric Willoughby.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
No love for Jake Sullivan? Dude played with torn ACLs, didn't he? Love Hobbs as well. Austin Flynn was a team player- gave up quarterback to help the team at receiver. How often does that happen? (Phillip Bates- cough, cough...)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Football: Ennis Haywood, Seneca Wallace, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Leaders, Austin Flynn, Troy Davis, Tim Dobbins, Alvin Bowen

Basketball: Dedric Willoughby, Jacy Holloway, Kelvin Cato, Curtis Stinson, Kantrail Horton, Jared Homan

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't think I've seen anyone say Marcus Fizer yet. He was the man!! Can't go wrong with Troy Davis either.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron