Who is/was your favorite Cyclone?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Busch made All American teams in both football and baseball. Pretty impressive.

Not sure if you remember, but he made the infamous decision to play for the Dodgers as a replacement player during the 1994 players' strike. He was then called up to the big leagues after the dispute was resolved and the veteran players froze him out. I remember Brett Butler specifically being a real jerk to Mike afterwards. For example, he hit a home run and no players met him to congratulate him.

He has been a manager in the minor leagues (independent Northern League) for a while.

schaumburg baby!

Mike is a pretty nice guy too.

Ha-Keem Abdel-Khaliq would be mine.

Last edited:

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Here's a great video of Chris Taylor throwing Ric Flair around like a rag doll. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G69Kkb0VGE]YouTube - Ric Flair vs Chris Taylor (AWA 1974)[/ame]

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Ellis Hobbs, Seneca Wallace, Lane Danielson, Todd Blythe, Jason Berryman, Tyson Smith, Darius Darks.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Gotta go with Ellis in football. Before him it was Keith Sims just for one amazing block I saw him make as a kid. I have no idea who we were playing or if we even won, but I remember sitting in the endzone with my dad and seeing Sims absolutely blow some defender up.

In basketball it's a close race between Mike Nurse and Dedric. With Tinsley a not to distant 3rd.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Fred Hoiberg hands down. I have always loved Cyclone basketball, and catch several games at Hilton per year. When I was a kid I attended his basketball camp (after he was in the NBA), and he even got Reggie Miller to come to Ames and sign autographs for the campers. I also attended other basketball camps when I was even younger and he was still a Cyclone, and I have several photographs of myself with him, autographed of course.

And my favorite Fred Hoiberg story is from when I was in elementary school. In our TAG program each kid in the program had to write to one local "celebrity" to see if they would respond. You would send them a list of questions, and hopefully they would respond. I still have Fred's responses. His favorite food at the time? Pickles. And on top of that he sent me a hardcover ISU basketball yearbook signed by both him and Johnny Orr. I took that to several games over the years and got it autographed by all the old greats after games. Loren Meyer, Julius Michalik, Hurl Beechum, Paul Shirley, Dedric Willoughby, Kelvin Cato, Marcus Fizer, Jamaal Tinsley, Tim Floyd, etc.

I was just amazed that not only did he respond, but sent the yearbook as well. He is definitely a great role model, and a rarity in a sport that these days is consumed by selfishness.

johnnytsunami

Jun 28, 2010
85388218.jpg

basketball13

Aug 12, 2008
My favorite Cyclone to watch was Seneca Wallace, but Todd Blythe still gives me nightmares from watching him destroy my Aggies on Kyle Field:eek:

nate42smith

Oct 23, 2008
I was just thinking how much I am going to miss ARob after this year, he is the silent leader of this team and he will be missed. He is probable my favorite Clone of all time as he has been a stud and unlike some good players, has kept his mouth shut and puts it all on the field.

BIG V...Victor Alexander

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
A lot of great Cyclones on this thread. I'm glad to see Ellis Hobbs getting some votes out there. I'm going to add a couple names to the list: Michael Wagner, who threw one of the best blocks I've ever seen on Seneca's big play, and Pete Taylor, the voice of the Cyclones for many years. Oh, and Dan McCarney for breaking the bowl drought.

cyclonedcm

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Rick Howe was my favorite Cyclone. He was an under-sized defensive tackle who gave his all. He was a walk-on and earned a scholarship and started for three years.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Rick Howe was my favorite Cyclone. He was an under-sized defensive tackle who gave his all. He was a walk-on and earned a scholarship and started for three years.

Rick Howe was a great guy, went to high school with his son. WHo is also a great kid and played at ISU.

But my favorite would have to be David Zabriskie. Very undersized HWT who had more determination to win than any wrestler I have ever watched. Was undersized in almost every match and still became a 3 time all american and a national champ. The type of heart you saw in the kid you just dont see everyday.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
football-bret meyer basketball-craig brackins (rashon clark an honorable mention)
obviously i'm too young to have actually seen any of the greats in person