Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska and their athletic department cant squeeze a dime out of him. He is quite the philanthropist in many other areas but not to his alma mater's athletic department. So don't feel bad if our richest alums don't pony up the funds to get this done.

I dont have a problem with it. He doesnt even share w/ his family. If they arent fans and dont care about football/sports then I dont see a reason for them to donate. In all honesty, there are much better things to do w/ your money. Me on the other hand, My name would be all over the facilities.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I dont have a problem with it. He doesnt even share w/ his family. If they arent fans and dont care about football/sports then I dont see a reason for them to donate. In all honesty, there are much better things to do w/ your money. Me on the other hand, My name would be all over the facilities.

Not to derail the thread, but Buffet does share money with his family. He pays for all of their education, and I'm sure he would take care of them if they ran into tough situations. But he does not setup a trust fund for any of his family which is unusual for people of his wealth.

Also, I don't think you can criticize Buffet for being a philanthropist and not donating to an athletic department. Donating to an athletic department is not exactly the most charitable contribution even if you can write it off on your taxes.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska

Wow poor dude, no matter what vast fortunes he amasses he'll have to admit he went to Nebraska. I guess you can feel sorry for a billionaire.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Not to derail the thread, but Buffet does share money with his family. He pays for all of their education, and I'm sure he would take care of them if they ran into tough situations. But he does not setup a trust fund for any of his family which is unusual for people of his wealth.

Also, I don't think you can criticize Buffet for being a philanthropist and not donating to an athletic department. Donating to an athletic department is not exactly the most charitable contribution even if you can write it off on your taxes.
I was never criticizing him for not donating to UNL, but merely pointing out the fact that those with supreme power with money don't necessaraly care about donating to their alma mater's athletic department.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I just want to let everyone know that if I have the good fortune to become one of our billionaire alums, athletics donations to ISU will be on the top of my list. Screw world hunger and curing diseases, we're putting Jerry World to shame.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Wow poor dude, no matter what vast fortunes he amasses he'll have to admit he went to Nebraska. I guess you can feel sorry for a billionaire.

He originally went to Columbia and finished up his last year at UNL. I agree though and he should be ashamed of himself.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
You know, the poster who mentioned tuition.....got me thinking...some of you students should get on GSB. Similar to things like Lied Rec, the Health Center, etc, student fees have been used to pay for capitol projects.

Now, as JP said on KXNO, the SEZ would have to be more than just seats...if it were seen as a true entry to campus, I think GSB could used to support it. There could be a welcome center in there used for non-game days, etc.

Think about it. $5 a semester, per student, for say 15 years really would add up. :)

Adding a Cy's Locker Room into this would be good too. It seems to work at other schools, IIRC Wisconsin has Bucky's Locker Room at field level and can even see the field from inside the store.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Adding a Cy's Locker Room into this would be good too. It seems to work at other schools, IIRC Wisconsin has Bucky's Locker Room at field level and can even see the field from inside the store.

Yeah, i saw similar at Florida State, theyve got a big shop/welcome center that leads right into the stadium.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
You know, the poster who mentioned tuition.....got me thinking...some of you students should get on GSB. Similar to things like Lied Rec, the Health Center, etc, student fees have been used to pay for capitol projects.

Now, as JP said on KXNO, the SEZ would have to be more than just seats...if it were seen as a true entry to campus, I think GSB could used to support it. There could be a welcome center in there used for non-game days, etc.

Think about it. $5 a semester, per student, for say 15 years really would add up. :)

yeah, cause we're already paying >$200 bucks a semester to fund the rec renovations (comes to >$300 total for rec fees)