Which do you think will happen first?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Or maybe he's successful and stays? Not every coach wants to coach in the NBA. There's "college coaches" out there, and Prohm seems like one of them.

Right? Of all of these actually successful coaches, one retired, two went to coach in the NBA and one got fired for a drinking problem. It's not like we have a bunch of coaches leaving for better NCAA teams.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If he's successful enough for a "better" job to want him, then there won't be many if any better jobs available. Plus he'd have to restart building his team, and he would have less job stability with tougher AD's and donors to please. It's not like the poor Iowa State of old. We can afford to pay a good coach now.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Right? Of all of these actually successful coaches, one retired, two went to coach in the NBA and one got fired for a drinking problem. It's not like we have a bunch of coaches leaving for better NCAA teams.

Why be so negative about it? Maybe he will stay maybe he wont. Maybe this is his dream job. Maybe he falls in love with Ames and ISU. If he wins this could be one of the top jobs in the country.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Most people here that are being smart-arses in replying to the thread are just sensitive babies who cannot deal with reality...You are no better than delusional Iowa fans who think they should win football N/C's year after year!

If you cannot see the point of this thread, you are just not as smart as I thought most ISU fans are.

Bottom line...if CSP is too successful, he is gone. We will have to start over again. Starting over again is risky. ISU is just a stepping stone for EVERYONE, even Ames and Golden Boy CFH used it as a stepping stone.

If CSP fails, he will bring us back to the Mc-Doormat years until AD Pollard pulls the cord and kicks him off the plane.

Sure I am worrying about something that I have no control over, but I know you all are thinking of the next cross roads the program will have to cross.

Welcome to the ignore jungle.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Tell me a time where a coach stayed when he was successful here in Ames? I can maybe say Harold Nichols. No football coach stayed when he was successful here. Shoot, it dates as far back as Pop Warner not staying here. Coach Maury John died here.....Gable would not coach here. Sanderson left....CFH left.

Valid points here, but regarding Gable, saying he wouldn't coach here.... is that only after he was intrenched at Iowa?

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Don't get me wrong...I want CSP to be successful, lead the program to the Sweet 16 and beyond this coming year. Most can understand a step back after this coming year due to the transition and losing all-time great ISU players. Most can even a handle 2 or even 3 year step back after CFH's players leave. I hope he builds the program in his vision and becomes competitive with his own players and stays a long time. But history has given us an idea how things will work out. It is just not likely to happen in the fairy tale book ways we want.

Floyd was successful with Orr's leftovers (yes, CFH was an Orr leftover) and made a run with his first set of JUCO recruits, but then rumors began and he could not get recruits to Ames, and his wife made him leave Ames.

LE was successful with Floyd's recruits, and LE could not recruit at all and never was successful after Tinsley's run.

Mc-Doormat could get recruits to Ames, but he could not coach out of a 3 wall room and we all know the back stories here.

CFH comes in revives the program brings it to the heights never been reached before, and leaves to coach in the NBA.
So this is the 5th time happening in the past 21 years, that averages about once every 4 years. We will see what happens, but history gives us a glimpse into what lies ahead.

The score: 2-2.....2 coaches have been so successful at ISU they leave for the NBA (same team which is even more astounding)

2 coaches failing at being able to sustain success after things were set up for them......

The result for CSP will be the tie breaker....Which way will his legacy fall?

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Floyd was successful with Orr's leftovers (yes, CFH was an Orr leftover) and made a run with his first set of JUCO recruits, but then rumors began and he could not get recruits to Ames, and his wife made him leave Ames.

LE was successful with Floyd's recruits, and LE could not recruit at all and never was successful after Tinsley's run.

Just more proof that not everyone should get a public forum to voice their opinion...you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

How could Eustachy be successful with Floyd's recruits if Floyd couldn't get players to Ames afters rumors began to swirl?

You realize Fizer, Nurse, Rancik, and Hinrich (who was committed to the Clones) were after Floyd's first set of juco's, right?

Also, Rancik and Shirley were the only Floyd recruits on Eustachy's second Big 12 title team. Tinsley, Horton, Sullivan, Power, and Pearson were all Larry's guys. He also landed Haluska, Vroman, and Homan after that. Stinson and Blalock were set to play for Larry too before he got fired.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Sure Clone_12...Call me whatever you want...Bottom line...Floyd did not have any long term success....LE did not have any long term success....and McDoormat was clueless....This is what happens to programs that cannot hold on coaches long term...you get flashes in the pans every now and then, and you will get duds.

Will CSP be a flash in the pan, or will he be a dud? Who knows...

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Just more proof that not everyone should get a public forum to voice their opinion...you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

How could Eustachy be successful with Floyd's recruits if Floyd couldn't get players to Ames afters rumors began to swirl?

You realize Fizer, Nurse, Rancik, and Hinrich (who was committed to the Clones) were after Floyd's first set of juco's, right?

Also, Rancik and Shirley were the only Floyd recruits on Eustachy's second Big 12 title team. Tinsley, Horton, Sullivan, Power, and Pearson were all Larry's guys. He also landed Haluska, Vroman, and Homan after that. Stinson and Blalock were set to play for Larry too before he got fired.

And I might add that LE is doing just fine with his own players at CSU

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Sure Clone_12...Call me whatever you want...Bottom line...Floyd did not have any long term success....LE did not have any long term success....and McDoormat was clueless....This is what happens to programs that cannot hold on coaches long term...you get flashes in the pans every now and then, and you will get duds.

Will CSP be a flash in the pan, or will he be a dud? Who knows...

Or will he be a long tenured successful coach?

You are so ******* sure he won't be good for the program no matter what. Anyone that wants to look at your history of posts and can read all of them without vomiting in their mouth will see you are just a bitter, sour 'fan'. We could have hired Coach K and you would have skewered that choice because he only has 5-10 years left of coaching.

Might CSP not work out exactly as we want? Probably. That is the world at the top of college athletics. It is also what makes it so sweet when it does work (see the last 5 years).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Man, I'm a pessimist. But there are some people on this board who should be on suicide watch...

PsychicsRUs

Apr 3, 2015
Many of you will think this is a jerk post, but just deal with it. But I bet many of you are thinking this....

Which will happen first?

Coach Prohm (needed to look up how to spell his name, do we have an abbreviation?) is so successful at ISU during his tenure he gets hired away to a 'bigger and better' programs, gets an 'offer he cannot refuse' or he gets offered 'his dream job?'

Or

Coach Prohm is successful his first year at ISU, but slowly tails off in years 2, 3, and 4 attendance falls, programs falls back into obscurity and ISU must find away to get rid of him?

As ISU fans we all know, if we cannot keep CFH, there is no one ISU can keep. We are a rent a coach program until the coach fails and we have to fire him, or he is so successful other schools and programs will just pick us apart.

Note:
Girls programs do not count in this line of thinking...Coach Fennelly can stay forever as well and VB Coach Johnson-Lynch. They are not revenue generating programs.

I think you did not list the most likely scenario. The failures will start this year. We might break 500 in conference play.

PsychicsRUs

Apr 3, 2015
I thought the definition of public was everyone being able to voice an opinion. Maybe I need a new dictionary.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron