When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 18.0%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.8%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 373 51.4%

• Total voters

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is why I look at the actual reviews, like the one that shows this in a real world scenario.

View attachment 125969

But you are correct, when I've driven my wifes MY, I've never gotten 300+ miles of range. It may have something to do with me driving 80+ mph. I also don't get 20mpg in my Kia compared to the 25mpg sticker.

I'm guessing for actual city gridlock block to block driving it's definitely over 300. The thing is nobody ever needs 300 mile range for that kind of driving.

Last week I had to drive my PHEV 30 miles round trip all block to block in LA because they highways were hell. It took me 90 minutes and Im only supposed to get 18 miles EV range but I still had a charge when I got back and the hybrid engine never kicked in. The EV range was nearly double listed for that horrible 90 minutes/30 miles.

Reactions: NWICY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I usually drive my daily driver for around 10 years and each time it comes to buy a year old "new" car I have sticker shock. Das Audi is a 2015 so will be having the sticker shock in a few years and I'll have the daunting task of trying to find a hybrid or EC which will be an adjustment. Might mean leaving the Audi family which I've been in since 2000 or so. The current Audi is the only automatic I've ever owned so I've been pretty old school but not locked into old tech.
I went 8 years between buying new vehicles and I know exactly what you mean. Buying the same model/trim of what I had was going to be a $15k jump.

Reactions: MeowingCows

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I usually drive my daily driver for around 10 years and each time it comes to buy a year old "new" car I have sticker shock. Das Audi is a 2015 so will be having the sticker shock in a few years and I'll have the daunting task of trying to find a hybrid or EC which will be an adjustment. Might mean leaving the Audi family which I've been in since 2000 or so. The current Audi is the only automatic I've ever owned so I've been pretty old school but not locked into old tech.
Just saw this

Audi is committed to its plan to launch its final model equipped with an internal-combustion engine in 2026

"The final model will stay in production until 2033, after which Audi will become a fully electric brand. That date isn't fixed, though. Döllner said Audi has some flexibility in case market conditions change"

Reactions: BoxsterCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just saw this

Audi is committed to its plan to launch its final model equipped with an internal-combustion engine in 2026

"The final model will stay in production until 2033, after which Audi will become a fully electric brand. That date isn't fixed, though. Döllner said Audi has some flexibility in case market conditions change"

Will be interesting to see where they go. They carry a crazy huge stable of autos with lots of sedans A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8 (goes against the grain of other manufacturers to an extent) and SUV's Q3, Q5, Q7 and Q8 plus their E-tron models and a couple of sports cars.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Will be interesting to see where they go. They carry a crazy huge stable of autos with lots of sedans A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8 (goes against the grain of other manufacturers to an extent) and SUV's Q3, Q5, Q7 and Q8 plus their E-tron models and a couple of sports cars.
Audi seems like a brand that has owners that would be more comfortable moving to an EV, than a brand like Dodge.

This is 100% unproven, just my unqualified observations.

It's also interesting to me how companies either seem to be just converting their current models to EV's or creating brand new models. BMW seems big into converting their current models into EV's, where someone like KIA seems to be building out new models that are pure EV's from the start.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@BoxsterCy, you could probably make an exception and buy two of the same model over time to replace Das Audi.

LOL. I have enough old cars ('87 924S, '02 Boxster, '15 A5) and will be looking to trim the oldest this summer. Now that I've finally owned and driven one of those new fangled automatic transmission cars I guess I'll be ready for an electric, or at least a hybrid in 2026. Whatever I get has to be a cool exterior and have a premium sound system, the stuff that's way more important than range and charge times. ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Audi seems like a brand that has owners that would be more comfortable moving to an EV, than a brand like Dodge.

This is 100% unproven, just my unqualified observations.

It's also interesting to me how companies either seem to be just converting their current models to EV's or creating brand new models. BMW seems big into converting their current models into EV's, where someone like KIA seems to be building out new models that are pure EV's from the start.

It will be interesting so it play out. The Twin Cities is big Audi market. I think partially due to their Quattro all-wheel drive building a nitch to grow on here decades ago before they luxury class autos. I am also keeping my eye on Volvo. Never owned a Volvo but they are going all-electric a couple of year faster than Audi and are another brand with a bit of Minnesota flavor to them.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sounds like around a 10% loss with the Cybertruck, I would guess very similar. Payload or adding a camper is a huge mpg killer on ICE trucks. And why a lot of truck owners add a bed cover. Also Jeep wranglers and gladiators are gas hogs because of their boxy front end. Aerodynamics is huge in fuel efficiency.

So 10% seems pretty normal to me. Heck, my car loses around 20% mpg driving Iowa winters.
Weight is critical to mpg when getting up to speed, but Aerodynamics drives mpg once AT speed. Especially at higher speeds, since drag force is squared in proportion to speed. My little sedan is about 15% more mpg at 55mph vs 65mph.
Wrt the truck beds, base drag is not your friend!

Source: "The Bible- Lan & Roskam! Airplane performance"
(Thats a super obscure reference for aeros of a certain age)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Weight is critical to mpg when getting up to speed, but Aerodynamics drives mpg once AT speed. Especially at higher speeds, since drag force is squared in proportion to speed. My little sedan is about 15% more mpg at 55mph vs 65mph.
Wrt the truck beds, base drag is not your friend!

Source: "The Bible- Lan & Roskam! Airplane performance"
(Thats a super obscure reference for aeros of a certain age)
Boy I saw this last weekend with my Kia Telluride. On the way to cedar rapids, I had the cruise set at 80mph and I got 26mpg. On the way home, 80mph and I got an all time low of 18.2mpg. It must have the aerodynamics of a wall. To be fair, to keep up with the wind and 80mpg speeds, it was shifting out of 8th gear. When it got 26mpg, it never left strayed from 8th.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Boy I saw this last weekend with my Kia Telluride. On the way to cedar rapids, I had the cruise set at 80mph and I got 26mpg. On the way home, 80mph and I got an all time low of 18.2mpg. It must have the aerodynamics of a wall. To be fair, to keep up with the wind and 80mpg speeds, it was shifting out of 8th gear. When it got 26mpg, it never left strayed from 8th.
I was getting 14.5 mpg driving home from Cedar Rapids a few weeks ago driving into a really stiff wind. Wasn't driving super fast either, had my cruise set at 75 I think. That's what I get for driving something that's as aerodynamic as a brick.

Reactions: dmclone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
  • Wow
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Tried out the full self driving todayon a trip downtown. 99% great but it stumbled with one exit. The exit off of 235 to 80/35, it got very confused and ended up taking the university exit. It never put us in danger and I took over. As soon as I took over, it asks you to tell why you interrupted. I doubt anything will change if I tried it again, there were no cars preventing it from moving over. 40 minutes of driving with one interruption isn't to bad, but at this point you do have to pay attention

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I can absolutely see Stellantis killing off brands in the next 10 years. In North American anyway Jeep and Ram are making them all their money.
I was at a dealership this week looking at a used car and my salesman told me that they were told a couple weeks ago that they could not sell any RAM trucks until new window stickers arrived. When they did the MSRP was supposedly dropped by $7500.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY