When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 18.0%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.8%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 373 51.4%

• Total voters

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think in 1-5 years. Right now, we are waiting for more options to hit the market. We are going to need to buy a car in the next year or two, which will probably be a hybrid of some kind. After that, I think there will be more options available on the market to choose from.

Reactions: Cyclad

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I debated between 6-10 and 10+.

The cost will have to come down quite a bit before I do it, and if the cost of electric vehicles makes gas powered vehicles cheaper, I might keep sticking with it.

Essentially, I will always go for the cheapest mode of transportation. When electric gets to the point, I'll get to that point with electric.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We don’t buy new, and I don’t really care for much of the current stuff out there so that pushes out at least 5-6 years. My wife hates change and it would most likely be her vehicle so that adds another layer

Reactions: agentbear

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
For 100% electric? I put 6-10 as I think we are at least that far off from truly meeting my expectations for a fully electric vehicle. We are also at least 5 years if not longer away from needing to replace a vehicle so we are not longer in the market. I wanted a hybrid when I was purchasing early this year but there just was not anything that checked the boxes I needed/wanted in a hybrid SUV.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My wife commutes a short enough distance where having an electric would be convenient for what she does, but the vehicle she drives is A) paid for and B) has plenty of life in it.

My brother lives in St Paul and bought a Chevy Bolt. He uses it for driving around the area when he doesn't have to haul his whole family. He has a gas SUV for hauling the kids and taking road trips. Seems to work well for them.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I’m planning for my next vehicle to be the Ford Lightening.
I want to drive my current car for about 5 more years and then I’d like to make the switch.

Hoping in next 5 years, with basically all major auto manufacturers producing EVs, we’ll see some solid improvements.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I will wait until there is something affordable in the used market. There are a lot of new models out there right now and a lot of them are going to be lemons, just because it is all new manufacturing processes and new battery manufacturing. In 5-10 years we will know who is getting it right.

Currently my wife has a Prius V that is getting 40 MPG. I wish Toyota would have kept making the V, lots of room. Not a great riding car, but it is very economical. I just bought a 2008 Prius as my beater car. I can't seem to get it over 45 MPG, but the cold windy weather doesn't help.

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I debated this year, but I went with a hybrid instead. When we retire, I'll probably have one vehicle be electric for day to day stuff, but I'm going to need the grid to get much more established before I consider an electric vehicle for road trips.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I put 1-5. My wife just got a new car, I don't really care about the car I drive, and I want to install solar panels first before getting the car to make operating it functionally free.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I'm really enjoying not having car payments now. Wife has a Prius, I have a Highlander. We have three young boys so we will always need a family hauler. We have been kicking around getting an e-bike that can haul a couple kids/cargo if I get a local job (currently stay at home dad). I can use that most of the year and when weather turns bad, I'd just use the Highlander. Therefore, I put 10+ years for an all electric. If we trade in either her or my car, we will go Hybrid over pure electric.

Reactions: isutrevman

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I’m planning for my next vehicle to be the Ford Lightening.
I want to drive my current car for about 5 more years and then I’d like to make the switch.

Hoping in next 5 years, with basically all major auto manufacturers producing EVs, we’ll see some solid improvements.
Those Ford Lightening's are having a bumpy start. I would give them a couple years to work out some of the issues.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
We wanted a plug in hybrid but they just weren't available. So we got a regular hybrid and the gas mileage is really nice. We will have that car for 10+ years. My car is paid off and only has 70k miles so will wait until we pay off the hybrid is paid off. And by then I hope to get 1 full electric car for daily use and then use the hybrid for road trips.

• Agree
Reactions: BandAlum

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
i drive 60 miles roughly round trip to work every day so it could be nice from that standpoint but cost has to come way down.

plus its alot of interstate driving and i hate driving tiny ass cars on the interstate because if i ever get in an accident ill be ground beef.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I voted 6-10.
My current vehicle is 15+ years old, and I've had it paid off for 11 years. I would be very open to the next one being fully electric, but if I need to buy in 5 years or less the value calculation part of my brain would push me to getting another ICE or possibly hybrid.

Reactions: BACyclone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I'll be in the market for a new car within the next year. Been looking at the CR-V Hybrid and that's likely what I'll end up getting, but I'm curious about the new Honda Prologue. I would be willing to wait 2 years if the Prologue has the features I need and can move to a 100% EV.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron