What's missing?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
There have been several things that we thought this summer we would have on this team that we haven't had. Of the ones listed below, what would you want the most?

1. A under control and well-behaved Mike Taylor
2. A healthy Wes Johnson
3. A healthy Rashon Clark
4. A healthy Jiri Hubalek
5. A non-screwed over Lucca Staiger
6. Content and happy Marcus Brister and Clayton Vette

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Taylor, easy, for me at least. Johnson, Clark, and Hubalek will come around, and Taylor is the only one on that list who we KNOW was an impact player.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I would take either 1 or 5.
Wes, Clark, and Jiri, are all pretty good, considering they aren't 100%. They can still play, but we still need a good guard.
So, I would take Mike Taylor who doesn't turn the ball over. We all know he can shoot the ball, so with him not turning it over, he would be great to have.
I would love Lucca too, but he hasn't proven himself yet.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
I would also take 1 and 5 because when taylor was on, he was really on!!. From seeing what Lucca has done in practice, i'd also take him because he is a lights out shooter. The three in the middle are good players even when they're not at 100% so 1 and 5 was pretty easy to pick

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And Lucca will remain my avatar, until the day he sets foot on the Hilton floor during a game. Then it will change to a picture of me with tears of joy streaming down my face. Then shortly after that it will be SpongeBob Squarepants or something.

Hey man, Wie Lieben Lucca, but he still hasn't played a game yet.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Mike T----no doubt about it! He was a great player! Yes, he turned the ball over a lot, but people have to realize is he was not a PG, he was a SG who was forced to play PG because we had no other options. Mike T was our leading scorer and brought a lot of energy to the floor. While Lucca did play well in the summer league and in practices, that doesn't mean anything until he shows it in a game! And for his sake, I sure hope he turns out to be as good as everyone has hyped him up to be!

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Question is if Taylor was still on the team, would he still be starting at PG? I say yes....

If you think the answer is no, that means BP at point, Taylor at shooting guards and likely Brackins coming off the bench.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Question is if Taylor was still on the team, would he still be starting at PG? I say yes....

If you think the answer is no, that means BP at point, Taylor at shooting guards and likely Brackins coming off the bench.

He would be starting at the point, no question in my mind.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would take Mike. To show the perfect example of what he could have been to our team, look at the Minnesota game last year. He was under control, shooting lights-out, and running the game effectively - all the signs of a good guard.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Taylor decided for himself not to be on this team. Let's move on folks. Unless your bringing in 4 and 5 * studs it's going to take time, which some of you don't want to have with coach Mac and this team.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
There have been several things that we thought this summer we would have on this team that we haven't had. Of the ones listed below, what would you want the most?

1. A under control and well-behaved Mike Taylor
2. A healthy Wes Johnson
3. A healthy Rashon Clark
4. A healthy Jiri Hubalek
5. A non-screwed over Lucca Staiger
6. Content and happy Marcus Brister and Clayton Vette

Think back to even before the summer....
What about retaining Dodie Dunson. What about retaining Ross Marsden? What about retaining Corey McIntosh? Degand? Taggart? Theo Davis? Tasheed Carr as a senior this year? We've lost a lot in the last few years.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Think back to even before the summer....
What about retaining Dodie Dunson. What about retaining Ross Marsden? What about retaining Corey McIntosh? Degand? Taggart? Theo Davis? Tasheed Carr as a senior this year? We've lost a lot in the last few years.

We've lost a lot of people, but their contributions would have been a crapshoot. Taggart is playing fairly well but it took Pitino to get it out of him. As for the rest: Dunson had too much stacked against him on the academic side, Marsden peaked and he knew it, Mcintosh is good.... in DII, Degand looked alright before he got hurt, and Davis is a non-factor for Gonzaga. Carr I'll give you for sure. He obviously had potential.

That's a mixed bag at best. We're a mixed bag too, but at least it's starting to become McDermott's mixed bag.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
#1, very easy...a free lucca would be great, but I don't necessarily know if him playing this year means more victories. Taylor could at least create his shot and possibly be a game changer.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Personally, the games are more enjoyable to watch this year because Taylor is gone. I don't scream at the TV like I did when he had 10 turnovers in a game. He didn't have a lot of success against tall guards and would not have been an unknown this year. I bet he would average 10 - 12 points per game. Factor in turnovers and we are better off ths year.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Out of any of those, I would have to say Lucca. Mike is gone, a decesion he made by his stupid mistakes and nothing that the team or Coach Mac could've controlled.
Injuries suck, but they always happen, just not always at the best time, and in our case, with some of our best players. But Lucca, this is a situation that screws everyone over, and the main party involved tried to do everything they could to not get in this exact situation.