What's missing?

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Thank you! My point exactly. I wonder if you will get as much negative rep for these comment as I have for mine...probably not, everyone on this site seems more apt to kiss your rear (just an observation).

It might be the WAY you say things...That can make a difference.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Nice group...however, I would take Barry Stevens over Willoughby. And no Jeff Hornacek?

I am too young to really remember those two, I barely remember Hornacek and Grayer, which is the real reason here. I think Hornacek was a great player in college, but really blossomed in the NBA.

Had Willoughby been healthy his entire senior season, watch out. When he was hot, there has never been a better player in a Cyclone uniform. Some games he was being compared to Jordan.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you to an extent. However, this is his fourth year playing college basketball and he does more than struggle to put it all together in my opinion. I think at this point we can really begin making solid assumptions about how well he is going to play in the future. He's still shooting less than 40% from the field and he is a post player. He's averaging 2.9/2.3. I just don't think there is a switch to be flipped at this point or it already would have happened. I went back through all of the games he's played, and I only found TWO where he scored in double figures. He's played in over 80 games.

I'm still waiting for the light to come on for AT, but actually have hope for significant improvement next year for several reasons. He may have played in 80 + games, but it has only been for around 11-12 minutes per game. Extrapolate that to 30 + mins as a regular (assumes fouls can be better managed) and the numbers are a more respectable 9/7 or thereabout. I expect the game to slowdown for AT when he spends more time on the court by default next year. He will benefit from the tendency of officials to let starters get more of a break on fouls than the guy off the bench gets. It's also encouraging to hear reports that he is a very good practice player which leaves hope for future improvement with more playing time.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I am too young to really remember those two, I barely remember Hornacek and Grayer, which is the real reason here. I think Hornacek was a great player in college, but really blossomed in the NBA.

Had Willoughby been healthy his entire senior season, watch out. When he was hot, there has never been a better player in a Cyclone uniform. Some games he was being compared to Jordan.

Willoughby was a nice player but anyone comparing him to Jordan was way off base with that comparison.

I saw Willoughby play and, unlike Jordan, he really couldn't "get his own". In fact, the ISU offense was really set up to have Willoughby running off of screens by 2 or 3 of our other players for him to get his open looks at his jump shot. And, again, unlike Jordan, Willoughby was really not much of a penetrator.

Hornacek was a great player at ISU!