Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Probably the reason he isn't dead yet is that tomatoes have higher acid content. :eek:
Tomatoes and high(er) acid foods can safely be processed using the boiling water method or pressure canner, and adding bottle lemon juice or citric acid (food grade) to ensure a safe level of acidity. I understand what you're saying, but acidity itself doesn't protect against botulism, etc.

Reactions: Kinch

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
By buried fence, do you mean extending surface fence deeper underground or did you lay some sort of mesh? We have mole issues some years and none other years.
Obligatory

bh187-austin-powers.gif

• Haha
Reactions: carvers4math

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Tomatoes and high(er) acid foods can safely be processed using the boiling water method or pressure canner, and adding bottle lemon juice or citric acid (food grade) to ensure a safe level of acidity. I understand what you're saying, but acidity itself doesn't protect against botulism, etc.

Oh yeah, I wasn't advocating for the dishwasher method!

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
So, we just moved to a new place last year, and it has a fenced off roughly 20x50 garden. It's a weedy mess, we haven't done anything with it. There is some rhubarb leftover in there, and god knows what else.

We are not big gardeners, though both have some experience. We want to put something in there, but not sure what to do. Already get more tomatoes and zucc from our parents than we can eat. We have a general plan to till it up and plant SOMETHING in there. Maybe even do some of it with just wildflowers for the bees and butterflies.

Suggestions?? What would you do? TIA.

Have you considered allowing others to use the garden and you just take a cut of the produce? Some may love to have a garden space that large but do not. Something to consider.

I always make room in my small garden for sunflowers. The right variety can attract a lot of wildlife and not much you need to do once planting is done.

If all else fails try pumpkins or gourds. A pumpkin/gourd patch will kill any weed and it might be fun to give pumpkins/gourds to your neighbors.

But what does this Dyersville kid know?

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Very cool to see this thread still going. My garden about doubled in size again and I'm going to try harder to succession plant with probably green beans this year to keep it in production all season. I'm trying to avoid buying any plants and started all my plants from seed in my basement. I might even try to do some Fall broccoli to see how that works in my zone. Always experimenting. Always learning.

Currently harvesting: Asparagus, Radishes, Lettuce

Perennials: Blackberries, strawberries, one lonely tiny rasberry that managed to survive transplant from mother-in-law's garden last year, planted a granny smith and honeycrisp apple tree earlier this spring.

In the ground: about 15 garlic plants, about 20 carrots came up, about 40 onions mix of red and sweet yellow, 25 sauce tomatoes mix of Roma and San Marzano, 14 slicing tomato plants, 4 cherry tomatoes, 20 bell peppers, 4 jalapenos, 4 eggplants, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 patty-pan squash, 5 acorn squash, 3 varieties of potatoes in a 3 ft. diameter potato tower, 28 broccoli, 5 cauliflower, 6 brussel sprouts, 3 cabbages, beets, white turnips. about 200 sweetcorn planted and they just started germinating

Plant starts not yet in the ground: 5 kambocha squash, 5 butternut squash, 10 sweet potato slips, 3 cucumbers

Herbs: ( thyme, mint, sage) (perennials) , basil, cilantro, rosemary

Not yet seeded but will direct sow: 6 watermelon hills, various green beans of both pole and bush variety.

Undecided: Pink-eyed peas, Italian dry bean

Flowers: Marigolds, Mammoth Sunflowers

Failures: English peas. I struggle to get them finished before the heat zaps them each year. I'm successful about 1 out of 3 years and really just grow them for the kids to snack on in the garden. This year they didn't germinate well because it was still too cold, and so I ate some shoots and pulled them. I need to start them early under a mini-tunnel to get enough heat for germination and not too much moisture and then take the tunnel off.

Lots of stuff is new this year so I expect more failures but that's part of the fun. I also likely lost the zucchini today as it went from like 55 to 90 degrees in about 2 days. Those summer squashes need to get good and established before the heat hits them. The good new is you can start a zucchini about anytime between now and August.

Where do you live that you have produce already and tomatoes in the ground?

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
I highly, HIGHLY, recommend using a summer cover crop after your garlic harvest this year. I have successfully used sudangrass, buckwheat, and phacelia. Anytime you have a gap in your garden is where a cover crop can get going. Buckwheat and phacelia will bring in pollinators/beneficial insects and the sudangrass will add a crazy amount of organic matter to the soil.

Couple of caveats though. The buckwheat will reseed and bring deer, the sudangrass will need to be periodically mowed/cut, and phacelia is not super competitive against weeds.

I like using Midwest Cover Crop Council's decision tool to see when you can seed the cover crops.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
By buried fence, do you mean extending surface fence deeper underground or did you lay some sort of mesh? We have mole issues some years and none other years.
1/4" hardware cloth wire fence about 6" to 8" deep for voles. Soaker hose around that when it dries out...they won't dig in wet soil. Not sure it would stop moles as they go deeper.

Reactions: carvers4math

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Let's talk rabbits for a minute. Besides fencing what does everybody use to repel these garden destroyers. They tunnel under my fence all the time, and it's hard to keep them out.

This stuff works great on our flowers. They get destroyed if I forget to put it on.

liquid-fence-animal-repellents-hg-71126-2-64_1000.jpg

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
1/4" hardware cloth wire fence about 6" to 8" deep for voles. Soaker hose around that when it dries out...they won't dig in wet soil. Not sure it would stop moles as they go deeper.
Yeah I was figuring nothing deep enough for those bastards

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

…. and to think all the things we ate and drank growing up. I’m surprised any of us are alive today. I mean butchering our own livestock and poultry. Drinking from a creek and a well. Unpasteurized milk from our cows. Think of things that are in your fridge that can give you botulism/food poisoning or from a restaurant, food truck/stand, etc.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Rhubarb is ready so I made my first batch of rhubarb crunch this afternoon. Recipe calls for a cup of sugar, but I like the tartness of the rhubarb. Been setting for an hour so it is still warm. Going to make some strawberry/rhubarb compote tomorrow to put on pancakes or French toast.

E01B5084-BC00-4547-9540-01D2F6305AAD.jpeg

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Got some asparagus I’ve been eating the last few days but I’m eagerly awaiting my kohlrabi. Anyone else grow kohlrabi?
Have kohlrabi most years but didn’t get it in this year. Have been eating some ditch asparagus I picked when I went to the cemetery on Mother’s Day.