What's growing? The garden thread.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So, we just moved to a new place last year, and it has a fenced off roughly 20x50 garden. It's a weedy mess, we haven't done anything with it. There is some rhubarb leftover in there, and god knows what else.

We are not big gardeners, though both have some experience. We want to put something in there, but not sure what to do. Already get more tomatoes and zucc from our parents than we can eat. We have a general plan to till it up and plant SOMETHING in there. Maybe even do some of it with just wildflowers for the bees and butterflies.

Suggestions?? What would you do? TIA.
You could also Do sweet corn and watch your plot get destroyed by deer and coons.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Hold up explain the dishwasher bit please. Also requesting spaghetti sauce recipe. Got 2 opalka yesterday to try sauce this yr but I'm afraid of canning so this intrigues me.

We really like the Mrs Wages spaghetti mix for simplicity and taste. They sell it at menards among a bunch of other places. We do a lot of that and the chili base. With the chili base we just add beans and meat and the chili is done.

Reactions: cowgirl836

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as volunteer cilantro? We usually just have a few pots of it on the front porch so it’s easy to run out and cut when making dinner. Haven’t bought any yet but in the flower garden below the porch, we have a few bunches that look like it. Haven’t gone down to smell it to be sure as we have a fence that has to be pretty high to keep the dog from eating the toxic flowers, he’s young and dumb.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as volunteer cilantro? We usually just have a few pots of it on the front porch so it’s easy to run out and cut when making dinner. Haven’t bought any yet but in the flower garden below the porch, we have a few bunches that look like it. Haven’t gone down to smell it to be sure as we have a fence that has to be pretty high to keep the dog from eating the toxic flowers, he’s young and dumb.

They’re an annual but can drop seeds and come up the next spring.

Reactions: carvers4math

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sweet. Thanks. I think I’m gonna try them in place of one of the zucchini’s I normally do. I was going to last year but couldn’t find any at the normal places I buy plants.

usually get as seeds, they don't transplant well in my experience

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
@JM4CY

This is a good variety if you see it locally:

Plant now. Avoid watering over the top of plant and late in evening to suppress powdery mildew development.
Appreciate that. I’m super anal about watering and avoid at all costs watering on plants. I only alow a small group of people to come water my garden if I’m gone for a week or something in the summer because I go to all the work of babying the thing and I don’t want it to come back to a diseased messed I at that point can’t do anything about because it’s spread to much (which has happened).

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Cilantro is a weed. It is definitely a volunteer. The seeds are very capable of growing the next year too if you let it go to seed.

Reactions: carvers4math

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Very cool to see this thread still going. My garden about doubled in size again and I'm going to try harder to succession plant with probably green beans this year to keep it in production all season. I'm trying to avoid buying any plants and started all my plants from seed in my basement. I might even try to do some Fall broccoli to see how that works in my zone. Always experimenting. Always learning.

Currently harvesting: Asparagus, Radishes, Lettuce

Perennials: Blackberries, strawberries, one lonely tiny rasberry that managed to survive transplant from mother-in-law's garden last year, planted a granny smith and honeycrisp apple tree earlier this spring.

In the ground: about 15 garlic plants, about 20 carrots came up, about 40 onions mix of red and sweet yellow, 25 sauce tomatoes mix of Roma and San Marzano, 14 slicing tomato plants, 4 cherry tomatoes, 20 bell peppers, 4 jalapenos, 4 eggplants, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 patty-pan squash, 5 acorn squash, 3 varieties of potatoes in a 3 ft. diameter potato tower, 28 broccoli, 5 cauliflower, 6 brussel sprouts, 3 cabbages, beets, white turnips. about 200 sweetcorn planted and they just started germinating

Plant starts not yet in the ground: 5 kambocha squash, 5 butternut squash, 10 sweet potato slips, 3 cucumbers

Herbs: ( thyme, mint, sage) (perennials) , basil, cilantro, rosemary

Not yet seeded but will direct sow: 6 watermelon hills, various green beans of both pole and bush variety.

Undecided: Pink-eyed peas, Italian dry bean

Flowers: Marigolds, Mammoth Sunflowers

Failures: English peas. I struggle to get them finished before the heat zaps them each year. I'm successful about 1 out of 3 years and really just grow them for the kids to snack on in the garden. This year they didn't germinate well because it was still too cold, and so I ate some shoots and pulled them. I need to start them early under a mini-tunnel to get enough heat for germination and not too much moisture and then take the tunnel off.

Lots of stuff is new this year so I expect more failures but that's part of the fun. I also likely lost the zucchini today as it went from like 55 to 90 degrees in about 2 days. Those summer squashes need to get good and established before the heat hits them. The good new is you can start a zucchini about anytime between now and August.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You could also Do sweet corn and watch your plot get destroyed by deer and coons.
Lol, sweet corn is a maybe!
The fence is a good 8ft high, and no raccoons or rabbits around here- we have foxes down the hollow, neighbors have seen the kits playing on edge of the woods. We've heard them and had one up by our house once.

We do have deer tho, and a big fat tom turkey and his 3 lady friends...

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Lol, sweet corn is a maybe!
The fence is a good 8ft high, and no raccoons or rabbits around here- we have foxes down the hollow, neighbors have seen the kits playing on edge of the woods. We've heard them and had one up by our house once.

We do have deer tho, and a big fat tom turkey and his 3 lady friends...
Coons are sneaky bast*rds. You may not have issues with that high barrier. However, if you posted later this summer saying you walked out to your plot one morning and saw a trash panda sitting on the inside of your fence with a full belly, no corn left in there and smoking a cigarette while winking at you, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Let's talk rabbits for a minute. Besides fencing what does everybody use to repel these garden destroyers. They tunnel under my fence all the time, and it's hard to keep them out.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Not really a garden question but hey, my hummingbird feeder is in my flower garden so thought I would ask. Has anyone seen any yet? We just put our feeder out about a week ago a couple of weeks later than normal in southern Iowa due to the weather. I thought I saw one in neighbor’s flowers so thought they should be visiting our feeder soon, but doesn’t look like it.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Not really a garden question but hey, my hummingbird feeder is in my flower garden so thought I would ask. Has anyone seen any yet? We just put our feeder out about a week ago a couple of weeks later than normal in southern Iowa due to the weather. I thought I saw one in neighbor’s flowers so thought they should be visiting our feeder soon, but doesn’t look like it.
Have not seen any hummers in SW WI yet. Orioles and grossbeaks just came back three days ago. Sandhill crane chick hatched Sunday.
We didn't have any bluebirds last year so we hope that changes.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Have not seen any hummers in SW WI yet. Orioles and grossbeaks just came back three days ago. Sandhill crane chick hatched Sunday.
Thanks! Pretty sure I saw a pair of bluebirds at our feeder but also didn’t see them last year, and we have a lot of orioles and goldfinches this year. Have two feeders and some suet, but the suet is by feeder in the back and have a feeder in the front too. So we get the prettier song birds in the front as the bigger aggressive birds hang around the suet.

Having to refill twice a day, I think some people aren’t feeding due to bird flu, but I saw something from a natural resources department in another state saying go ahead and fill your feeders, the chance of transmission at a feeder being low supposedly. So when I let the dog out in the morning, I see a flight of birds hauling it towards our yard.

I think our dog has scared off our rabbit population but he is on high alert for squirrels trying to get to bird feeders. He now hates them more than the neighborhood pack of stray cats.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Saw a hummingbird Saturday actually here just NE of Madison! Need to refill my feeders, love showing the 3 yr old the birds and he loves watching for them.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
No, no, no on the dishwasher. I judge food and nutrition, primarily for 4-H at county fairs and this is one of those "sounds good, but really is bad" ideas. The water in a dishwasher is not hot enough to kill all the microorganisms that can find their way into food that's being processed. If it was hot enough, it would be too hot to use for anything else in your kitchen.
Here are two links provided by ISU's AnswerLine from University of Missouri Extension and Penn State to help.
https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/gh1451
https://extension.psu.edu/canners-and-canning-methods-that-are-not-recommended

And I know that you haven't died (yet) because of this, but why chance it?

Probably the reason he isn't dead yet is that tomatoes have higher acid content. :eek: