What's growing? The garden thread.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
50 tomato plants have been in the ground for around 2 weeks. 40 pepper plants also and 3 rows of onions. Also 18 rhubarb plants that are about ready to start harvesting. Two hills of pickles and three cauliflower plants put in last week. My garden size is around 25' x 21' so I try and maximize spacing. I have of eight of the pepper plants in planter boxes. I bought a bale of prairie hay to spread out over it to help weed control and retain moisture. I will probably wait a couple more days to spread it out to help let the soil temps increase. Might hit my tomato plants with a little calcium fertilizer. I did sprinkle some Epsom salt in each hole I dug. I also added piece of banana peel to the bottom. I added Epsom salt last year and my plants really took off and produced! I'll wait and see what the banana peel does. Will also hit the plants with copper fungicide maybe this week or next.

What does the Epsom salt do to help your plants? Does it act as a fertilizer?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
50 tomato plants have been in the ground for around 2 weeks. 40 pepper plants also and 3 rows of onions. Also 18 rhubarb plants that are about ready to start harvesting. Two hills of pickles and three cauliflower plants put in last week. My garden size is around 25' x 21' so I try and maximize spacing. I have of eight of the pepper plants in planter boxes. I bought a bale of prairie hay to spread out over it to help weed control and retain moisture. I will probably wait a couple more days to spread it out to help let the soil temps increase. Might hit my tomato plants with a little calcium fertilizer. I did sprinkle some Epsom salt in each hole I dug. I also added piece of banana peel to the bottom. I added Epsom salt last year and my plants really took off and produced! I'll wait and see what the banana peel does. Will also hit the plants with copper fungicide maybe this week or next.

Holy ****. Do you own your own produce stand?

• Haha
Reactions: cycloner29

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

1. What do you do with all the peppers and maters?!
2. What is the purpose of the additives you mention? I've heard matches in with peppers before
3. What area are you in that you have plants in the ground for 2 weeks now?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
29's must be a prepper... o_O :eek:

Holy ****. Do you own your own produce stand?

It's strickly a salsa garden. Some years tomatoes produce like crazy and other years not so much. I will plant some cilantro and try to time it right for it to be ready when the tomatoes are ripe. The only thing I don't grow is garlic.

We will give some produce out to our friends and neighbors. Wife also make spaghetti sauce and I will make red pepper relish. I make bread and butter jalapeño slices and will sweet pickle them, great on burgers and brats! I get a lot of compliments. Using a turkey fryer helps with blanching the tomatoes. Another cool thing I learned from a friend was when canning, put them in the dishwasher to seal. Been doing this trick for a few years now and every jar has sealed.

I plan on seeding Diakon radishes around the garden in August. These will grow down and help with get rid of soil compaction. They will rot over winter in the ground and will help as fertilizer in the spring.

I mean growing up on a farm, and minor in agronomy at ISU never hurt either! ;)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Supplies magnesium to the plant. They uptake a lot relatively speaking compared to other plants. It really only does anything if your deficient though.
Barnlime can work magic too.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's strickly a salsa garden. Some years tomatoes produce like crazy and other years not so much. I will plant some cilantro and try to time it right for it to be ready when the tomatoes are ripe. The only thing I don't grow is garlic.

We will give some produce out to our friends and neighbors. Wife also make spaghetti sauce and I will make red pepper relish. I make bread and butter jalapeño slices and will sweet pickle them, great on burgers and brats! I get a lot of compliments. Using a turkey fryer helps with blanching the tomatoes. Another cool thing I learned from a friend was when canning, put them in the dishwasher to seal. Been doing this trick for a few years now and every jar has sealed.

I plan on seeding Diakon radishes around the garden in August. These will grow down and help with get rid of soil compaction. They will rot over winter in the ground and will help as fertilizer in the spring.

Hold up explain the dishwasher bit please. Also requesting spaghetti sauce recipe. Got 2 opalka yesterday to try sauce this yr but I'm afraid of canning so this intrigues me.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
50 tomato plants, holy smokes! I can usually get 50 quarts from 4 plants or so. For those of you who like green beans try the jade variety. They're sweet almost like a snap pea and the seeds don't get huge when the pods get big. Plus they're not fuzzy.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hold up explain the dishwasher bit please. Also requesting spaghetti sauce recipe. Got 2 opalka yesterday to try sauce this yr but I'm afraid of canning so this intrigues me.

The dishwasher is so easy and fast. Just run it on the hottest temp, no soap, run it on like the pot and pan cycle, sani rinse cycle and then heated dry. We usually put everything in the top rack. Just let the dishwasher do it's thing and your jars are sealed. Once done we set them on the counter and give them time to cool. You will start hearing the popping sound that tells you they are seal. I've had a few over the years that if don't pop but I just touch the lid and the pop down. Have yet to have a spoiled jar due it not sealing. Pretty fast, safe, and efficient method. Since everything has been boiled, and we can right away, the chances of bacteria. We also sterilize the jars, lids and rings before hand. Just telling you how we do it.

Reactions: cowgirl836

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So, we just moved to a new place last year, and it has a fenced off roughly 20x50 garden. It's a weedy mess, we haven't done anything with it. There is some rhubarb leftover in there, and god knows what else.

We are not big gardeners, though both have some experience. We want to put something in there, but not sure what to do. Already get more tomatoes and zucc from our parents than we can eat. We have a general plan to till it up and plant SOMETHING in there. Maybe even do some of it with just wildflowers for the bees and butterflies.

Suggestions?? What would you do? TIA.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So, we just moved to a new place last year, and it has a fenced off roughly 20x50 garden. It's a weedy mess, we haven't done anything with it. There is some rhubarb leftover in there, and god knows what else.

We are not big gardeners, though both have some experience. We want to put something in there, but not sure what to do. Already get more tomatoes and zucc from our parents than we can eat. We have a general plan to till it up and plant SOMETHING in there. Maybe even do some of it with just wildflowers for the bees and butterflies.

Depends what you like. Raspberries were pretty easy to start. What do you eat a lot of? Greens, snap peas/shelling peas, green beans, carrots, peppers, corn. I always do zinnias in mine for the colors, cutting flowers and bringing in pollinators.

Reactions: CascadeClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Depends what you like. Raspberries were pretty easy to start. What do you eat a lot of? Greens, snap peas/shelling peas, green beans, carrots, peppers, corn. I always do zinnias in mine for the colors, cutting flowers and bringing in pollinators.
What’s the key to doing snap peas? Might try them this year for the first time.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

No, no, no on the dishwasher. I judge food and nutrition, primarily for 4-H at county fairs and this is one of those "sounds good, but really is bad" ideas. The water in a dishwasher is not hot enough to kill all the microorganisms that can find their way into food that's being processed. If it was hot enough, it would be too hot to use for anything else in your kitchen.
Here are two links provided by ISU's AnswerLine from University of Missouri Extension and Penn State to help.
https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/gh1451
https://extension.psu.edu/canners-and-canning-methods-that-are-not-recommended

And I know that you haven't died (yet) because of this, but why chance it?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The dishwasher is so easy and fast. Just run it on the hottest temp, no soap, run it on like the pot and pan cycle, sani rinse cycle and then heated dry. We usually put everything in the top rack. Just let the dishwasher do it's thing and your jars are sealed. Once done we set them on the counter and give them time to cool. You will start hearing the popping sound that tells you they are seal. I've had a few over the years that if don't pop but I just touch the lid and the pop down. Have yet to have a spoiled jar due it not sealing. Pretty fast, safe, and efficient method. Since everything has been boiled, and we can right away, the chances of bacteria. We also sterilize the jars, lids and rings before hand. Just telling you how we do it.

Very helpful, thank you!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Tomato’s are a tough plant and can withstand a lot if you’re a newer gardener.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
NO again! You can't seal them with finger pressure. Remember the microorganisms that can kill you aren't visible with the naked eye.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
What’s the key to doing snap peas? Might try them this year for the first time.

We didn't stake the first 2 yrs, that was poor choice. So give them something to climb. Trellis, cage. We put two wood stakes like...2.5 ft tall? At end of each row and just tied string to each end, could do wire. Did 3 levels like 6 in apart. Easy to grow for us though and the kid loved them.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We didn't stake the first 2 yrs, that was poor choice. So give them something to climb. Trellis, cage. We put two wood stakes like...2.5 ft tall? At end of each row and just tied string to each end, could do wire. Did 3 levels like 6 in apart. Easy to grow for us though and the kid loved them.
Sweet. Thanks. I think I’m gonna try them in place of one of the zucchini’s I normally do. I was going to last year but couldn’t find any at the normal places I buy plants.

Help Support Us

Become a patron