What would it take?

What needs to happen to save GMac's job?

• Nothing. His job should be safe.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • Beat KSU (Top 25 team on the road)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Win game in Big XII Tournament (likely Texas)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Make Big XII Tournament Semifinals

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • Be invited to the NIT

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Deep NIT run

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Win Big XII Tournament (lose 1st round NCAA's)

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • Win a game in the NCAA Tournament

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Make Sweet 16

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Make Final Four

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Win the whole ******* thing

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Nothing. He should be fired regardless.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Fire this guy. We won't win another game this season either.

This is what I don't understand. I agree with most everyone on here, but what I have trouble with is are we better off if we fire him? I don't know. I can't answer that. And the obvious answer of "We can't be worse", is completely false. We can be a lot worse. I do not want to end up like Iowa and having our fan base fire a coach could make us end up like Iowa. Keeping Mac, I don't see that.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
And I will ask again, HOW is the program stable?

I'm sure it is more stable than when Mac came in and everybody left. But that trend has continued each of the years that he has been here.

But that to me doesn't mean that it's stable. And with the lack of success, where is the hope?

Exactly. That was my point. I agree 100%.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
No...The program wasn't stable when Mac took the job and some people want to revert back after getting some stability. Just doesn't make sense.

So you are saying that we have some stability right now? That is hilarious. We lost two players from the team during the season, one to Germany, and another one of the many guys that McD has brought in there that just can't play at this level. We will loose at least 1 more player from the team this offseason that we shouldn't and you call that stable? How exactly? Again, I realize that every morning you probably wipe yourself down with a pair of McDs game worn slacks but now your comments are just getting crazy.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
So you are saying that we have some stability right now? That is hilarious. We lost two players from the team during the season, one to Germany, and another one of the many guys that McD has brought in there that just can't play at this level. We will loose at least 1 more player from the team this offseason that we shouldn't and you call that stable? How exactly? Again, I realize that every morning you probably wipe yourself down with a pair of McDs game worn slacks but now your comments are just getting crazy.

As crazy as I am...I always speak the truth.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
This is what I don't understand. I agree with most everyone on here, but what I have trouble with is are we better off if we fire him? I don't know. I can't answer that. And the obvious answer of "We can't be worse", is completely false. We can be a lot worse. I do not want to end up like Iowa and having our fan base fire a coach could make us end up like Iowa. Keeping Mac, I don't see that.

I would argue that keeping McD will make us more like Iowa than making a change will. Fans will continue not to show up and we will continue to be the laughing stock of the conference.

Toasted40

Feb 23, 2010
Wilkins is very talented 3 year Juco...I can live with 5.

Very few "freshman" thrive in any system.

You can't guarrantee winning next year, so when do they win?

It's been four years now. We are deep enough into the system that we can play all of these close games. OK, when do the wins come?

Freshmen may not "thrive" but they should be able to contribute at this level. And when I say contribute, I mean in a positive way.

This athletic department can't afford to lose all of the revenue that this program will be losing next year in ticket sales.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

It's been four years now. We are deep enough into the system that we can play all of these close games. OK, when do the wins come?

Freshmen may not "thrive" but they should be able to contribute at this level. And when I say contribute, I mean in a positive way.

This athletic department can't afford to lose all of the revenue that this program will be losing next year in ticket sales.

What can you guarantee me?

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I didn't realize it was my job to answer questions about the program...

I never said it was. I meant answer questions about your points that you state are the "facts" but can't and won't back them up. You are funny. If you are "close to the program" I can see why McD has drug us down to the bottom of the league.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Stability issues are created through coaching turnover; not player turnover.

I disagree. Certain types of player turnover (defection, transfers, getting kicked off) causes instability. Players like Brackins going pro do not, however.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I never said it was. I meant answer questions about your points that you state are the "facts" but can't and won't back them up. You are funny. If you are "close to the program" I can see why McD has drug us down to the bottom of the league.

When I first read this, I thought it said "drug use down to the bottom of the league" and thought it was a good thing.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

I'm just an ISU fan...I tell it like I see it. My apologies if you don't agree.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I would argue that keeping McD will make us more like Iowa than making a change will. Fans will continue not to show up and we will continue to be the laughing stock of the conference.

Would keeping him one more year really make us the laughing stock of the conference? Really? I know I'll still be going to as many games as I can next year no matter who is the coach. I think most fans feel the same way.

Please explain how keeping him will make us more like Iowa? If anything letting him go makes us look exactly like Iowa. Next thing you know, Mac is winning games at some mid-major again and everyone will be scratching their heads like the Hawkeyes are right now. I'm not saying that Mac is the answer, I'm just not convinced letting him go is the answer.

Starting over from scratch pretty much guarantees a few years of mediocre basketball if not more. Realistically, we can't make that splashy hire that can turn a program around in a year or 2, but we do have a foundation there that hopefully can take us to the next level. Recruiting isn't a one year thing, it takes years to develop and it seems we have the inroads for that now. Will it pan out? Who knows? But it's better than starting from scratch IMO.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I disagree. Certain types of player turnover (defection, transfers, getting kicked off) causes instability. Players like Brackins going pro do not, however.

Mid-season player turnover causes instability in the short term, i.e. the current season. Coaching turnover causes instability in the long term.

Toasted40

Feb 23, 2010
As crazy as I am...I always speak the truth.

Actually, you speak an opinion. It may be what you believe in your heart. But when others disagree with you, and all you can speak in is innuendos, and snide comments. It doesn't come off as "truth"

Please don't be offended. I am simply asking questions. I too think that Greg will be back next year, and it will be a tough sale to a lot of the fanbase. You can put a voice to a reason to keep him.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
When I first read this, I thought it said "drug use down to the bottom of the league" and thought it was a good thing.

Good stuff. Heck, drug use may be the best reason to explain some of the recruits that the staff has brought into the program.

But really, let's get back to the spirit of this post. I voted that there is nothing McD could do now not to be fired, even though that's really my heart talking and not my head. Obviously if he goes out and wins the Big 12 tourney he would stay around for next year, even though the odd of that happen are about the same as kg-cyclone not kissing his poster-sized action of shot of McD coaching on the sidelines before he goes to bed at night.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

I think this is a foregone conclusion. No one knows if that is gonna happen. It may still happen with a new hire.

Help Support Us

Become a patron