What to do with 18mo Old During Winter Break?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
In all seriousness, if you are coming back from out of state and you don't get back often, you might have a hard time getting your kid away from your parents. That's how my folks and my in-laws are when we visit, and we live close and visit often.

If that's the case, I'd say take advantage of it and go out with your wife, especially during the afternoon over nap time or after they're in bed. Then you don't have to worry about anyone playing/feeding/changing them as much but you've got someone you trust to pay attention.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I will echo the mall. My kids love the "mall park'. Lots of other good ideas too already. Does DSM have a childrens museum now? Those are fun. 18mos is a tad on the young side but some things to do.

I have the same problem from time to time, except with 3 young ones. My mom wants us to visit her in AZ and I keep telling her no freaking way. Aside from the logistics of flying with all the young ones and the stuff they need, her house is the farthest from kids friendly there is and shes not particularly a hands on G ma!

Good luck and have fun!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
When I'm looking to kill time with the kiddo I hit up Petsmart or Petco - you can easily kill a half hour looking at all the animals. Most libraries also have kids areas that are good for getting out of the house.

Mine likes going to Menards too - but that's mostly because of the play-area they have, and its kinda cold for that.

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
There is a new Monkey Joes that just opened up in WDM, they have several bouncy houses that the little one would love. Reasonable prices to. Plus they have a lounge area with a big screen for the dads.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
Hey thanks all for the responses, very helpful. I'm sure we'll use a bunch of them.