What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

• Stay in Big 12 and Make OK and TX Wait Until 2025

Votes: 154 46.4%
  • Find Another Conference to Jump To Immediately

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • Expand and Try to Stabilize Big 12 Long Term

Votes: 42 12.7%

• Total voters

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think it’s more the idea of forcing UT/OU’s hand. Do a buyout, or stay until 2025.

I don't believe doing the buyout is at issue here, the contract language on that is plain and multiple sources have said they are ready and willing to pay that. Taking their media rights/TV value with them when they go, instead of 2026, is what they really want and need. Without that they bring nothing of added value to the new SEC deal.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku football pulls in more money than basketball only because of the B12 GOR. Otherwise, Ku basketball has higher revenue than football and tons more contributions. The Dodd numbers simply don't reflect reality. But they do show how financials can be manipulated to tell a story.

Ku Ticket Sales

Basketball $14,864,827
Football $4,893,410

Source: NCAA membership report

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
What constitutes 'staying together' for the BIG 12? Do we have to stay together completely unchanged in order to get the full TX/OU buyout? Can one, two, three teams leave early and the BIG 12 still gets a 'pro-rated' buyout? Can the BIG 12 add 2-4 teams early (before '25) and still get the buyout?
Heard that the league could drop to as few as 4 teams, but the catch is the other 4 that left would have to pay a buyout, almost equivalent to the OU/UT buyout, which is 80 mm plus. How many remaining 8 could afford that? So they almost have to stick together or else OU/UT/ESPN get off the hook and it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of ESPN's plan, the league folding so no buyout.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Heard that the league could drop to as few as 4 teams, but the catch is the other 4 that left would have to pay a buyout, almost equivalent to the OU/UT buyout, which is 80 mm plus. How many remaining 8 could afford that? So they almost have to stick together or else OU/UT/ESPN get off the hook and it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of ESPN's plan, the league folding so no buyout.
With all the 'devaluation', how on earth can they be on the spot for $80 mil. No way, that amount stands in court. Or, at the very least, OU/TX pick up a percent of that bill since they're the reason for the devaluation.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Nobody gives a **** about the Cardinals in Phoenix. It's the worst NFL city in the league. The Diamondbacks could leave town and nobody would notice. The Suns do have pretty decent support. It's a transplant city.

Is Phoenix full of transplants? I assume so. I'm visualizing a lot of NFC/AFC north fans in Phoenix.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Is Phoenix full of transplants? I assume so. I'm visualizing a lot of NFC/AFC north fans in Phoenix.
Yes it's full of people from the Midwest especially. The Cards have a better following then they did 20 years ago but it's still among the worst in the NFL. Sundays in Kansas City are way different than Sunday's in Phoenix. If you didn't see the enormous baseball stadium downtown every time you drove through you'd forget the Diamondbacks were even there.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Yes a lot of people from elsewhere but I dispute that nobody cares. Its a big place now, you don't have to see it for it to be there. This is why people put teams in big markets. Not everyone has to care and it still works. See if the Cards start winning this year.

Now I'm going to have to see why this even came up...

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
That makes sense, kind of. However, market size is a huge factor in determining potential viewership. If Arizona State is doing well, the entire Phoenix market hears about it from local media sources promoting it. If Iowa state is doing well, the entire Des Moines market hears about it and promotes it. Just because Iowa state has better attendance numbers than Arizona state, the potential viewership for Arizona state is still 7X larger.

I live in Phoenix and have personally seen the dramatically increased viewership for both Suns and Cardinals games due to increased success. Winning and success draws viewers and the number of potential viewers is certainly influenced by population size.
What may end up more important, if the grads care, is that ASU has grown to around a billion students. They are putting more potential fans out there than literally anyone. What's tough to note is how much they will spend to watch later.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah