What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

• Stay in Big 12 and Make OK and TX Wait Until 2025

Votes: 154 46.4%
  • Find Another Conference to Jump To Immediately

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • Expand and Try to Stabilize Big 12 Long Term

Votes: 42 12.7%

• Total voters

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
You could get rid of E/W and do a podded system of...

ISU / UC / UCF / WVU
four Texas schools
BYU / KU / KSU / OSU

Play the rest of your pod every year = 3 games
Play three of the teams in the opposite pods each year = 6 games
Basically a full round-robin but you miss two teams (not in your pod) per year
This would guarantee everybody has (at least) one Texas road game per year

Put the two best teams in the CCG -- no divisions.

Basketball...? Well, why not a double round-robin of 22 games?

I don't really see why this is more attractive than divisions with 2 & 2 Texas schools, which can also guarantee one game in Texas every year at a minimum. With 9 conference games in a 12 team league you are playing everyone very fast. Even with a protected crossover, you won't go more than one year without playing any given school; i.e. if you are not playing a school in a certain year, you played them last year and you will be playing them again next year.

I really like the idea of going big with 22 conference hoops games. Why not? Throw in Iowa and a preseason tournament, a couple tune ups at the start, and a couple other interesting power-conference games, and you are at 30. I don't want to see us play Prairie View A&M seven times in November and December anymore.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I don't really see why this is more attractive than divisions with 2 & 2 Texas schools, which can also guarantee one game in Texas every year at a minimum. With 9 conference games in a 12 team league you are playing everyone very fast. Even with a protected crossover, you won't go more than one year without playing any given school; i.e. if you are not playing a school in a certain year, you played them last year and you will be playing them again next year.

I really like the idea of going big with 22 conference hoops games. Why not? Throw in Iowa and a preseason tournament, a couple tune ups at the start, and a couple other interesting power-conference games, and you are at 30. I don't want to see us play Prairie View A&M seven times in November and December anymore.
Eliminating divisons is one thing the Big Xii has done right. There is no going back!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Eliminating divisons is one thing the Big Xii has done right. There is no going back!

Here here. "One true champion" is our thing.

I know football drives the bus, but that would be an excellent basketball conference...

LEGIT NATIONAL TITLE CONTENDERS
---
Baylor -- just won one!
Kansas
Houston (#2 seed last year)

SOLID PROGRAMS
---
BYU (#6 seed last year)
Oklahoma State (#4 seed last year)
Texas Tech (#6 seed last year)
West Virginia (#3 seed last year)

DOWN ON THEIR LUCK RIGHT NOW (BUT HAVE BEEN GOOD RECENTLY)
---
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas State

OKAY THESE GUYS SUCK
---
Central Florida
TCU (last made the dance in 2018 as a #6 seed)

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
If no new Big 12 schools get invited to a power conference would this be our next best option? Play each other and also set up a Big 12/ SEC challenge like in basketball. It would give each of us 2 non conference games against SEC schools. For the most part, this would be better than playing AAC schools that are proposed to be added in conference expansion. The SEC schools would only have to play one non conference game against us. An incentive for the SEC to do this would be for us to ease up some on penalizing OU and UT leaving the conference early.

Or maybe an alteration to this plan?

• Agree
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'm in KC and hearing from my KU friends that they're heading to the big10. Gonna be announced in the next couple weeks. Anyone else hearing this?

• Dumb
Reactions: Lineup

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
All Big12 members should forfeit their games against Oklahoma and Texas. Each school would lose revenue for 2 games, but Oklahoma and Texas would lose revenue for all but the game against each other and the then they can rematch in the championship game.
I know this isn’t realistic, but f*ck Oklahoma and Texas.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Lots of whispers...getting louder each day...that the B1G is going hard after USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington....and that those schools are going to make the jump. If that happens, our position starts to clarify rapidly. In such an event, the only logical step is for the remnants of the Pac and Big 12 to merge...and perhaps add a team or two to get to 16.

Something like this:

California PodMountain Pod
CalUtah
Washingon StateColorado
Oregon StateArizona
StanfordArizona State
Lone Star PodGreat Plains Pod
Texas TechIowa State
TCUKansas State
BaylorCincinnati
Oklahoma StateKansas
If it’s about market size, why would they take both USC and UCLA? That’s 2 schools with just 1 market area. Why wouldn’t they go after Arizona State to gain the Phoenix market?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If it’s about market size, why would they take both USC and UCLA? That’s 2 schools with just 1 market area. Why wouldn’t they go after Arizona State to gain the Phoenix market?
Because no one knows if the old market size model will be the one we are using 5 to 10 years from now. Most of the people that follow this stuff believe we are moving from that type of market to a new ala carte type of system where no conference networks are on basic cable and this material will be streamed or on a sports pac that you purchase separately. If that occurs then the major importance becomes the size of the fan base, and one of the best way to measure that is attendence, not metro areas close by or the number of people in your state or how many teams from the conference are already in the conference.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The program that really adds any potential value right now is BYU football. I say start there and see what we can negotiate with Fox/Amazon/Hulu. Go back to calling it the Big 8 for awhile.

The next add should be Memphis if FedEx is still willing to $pon$or. They have some basketball prestige & a decent football venue.

UNLV should get a look in the future with their shiny new football stadium. The Las Vegas Bowl is gonna blow up.

And Colorado State could be a nice land grant addition some day if they can get their football program turned around.

Last edited:

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Because no one knows if the old market size model will be the one we are using 5 to 10 years from now. Most of the people that follow this stuff believe we are moving from that type of market to a new ala carte type of system where no conference networks are on basic cable and this material will be streamed or on a sports pac that you purchase separately. If that occurs then the major importance becomes the size of the fan base, and one of the best way to measure that is attendence, not metro areas close by or the number of people in your state or how many teams from the conference are already in the conference.
That makes sense, kind of. However, market size is a huge factor in determining potential viewership. If Arizona State is doing well, the entire Phoenix market hears about it from local media sources promoting it. If Iowa state is doing well, the entire Des Moines market hears about it and promotes it. Just because Iowa state has better attendance numbers than Arizona state, the potential viewership for Arizona state is still 7X larger.

I live in Phoenix and have personally seen the dramatically increased viewership for both Suns and Cardinals games due to increased success. Winning and success draws viewers and the number of potential viewers is certainly influenced by population size.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Here are the premier teams left outside of the BIG and SEC...Clemson, Florida State, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and Notre Dame. However, Clemson and Florida State are tied up in the ACC GOR until 2034. So, five teams that could move to the BIG and/or SEC. That will prove to be interesting...numbers-wise, as 20 seems to be a balance point. If that is the point, then five more schools need to be added in, in addition to the above. Or not...simply flinging more spaghetti on the wall.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

ASU is not AAU. However, UA is ASU and would also give them the Phoenix market.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Here are the premier teams left outside of the BIG and SEC...Clemson, Florida State, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and Notre Dame. However, Clemson and Florida State are tied up in the ACC GOR until 2034. So, five teams that could move to the BIG and/or SEC. That will prove to be interesting...numbers-wise, as 20 seems to be a balance point. If that is the point, then five more schools need to be added in, in addition to the above. Or not...simply flinging more spaghetti on the wall.
“Premier” in what way? Funny who does and does not count as premier.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Personally I would wait to see what happens with the other conferences and would definitely not look outside of current P5 teams. No reason to bolster other teams value like we did with TCU a decade ago.

My hope is that the legal threats by the Big 12 against ESPN worked to get deal in place and ESPN's cooperation at getting every Big 12 team into a current P5 conference. The Big 12 office seemed to drop their public legal action strategy fairly quickly. There was great potential for some very long term expensive court battles over damages would further bankrupt ESPN. I think it would be relatively easy to prove ESPN initiated this whole mess, and Texas and Oklahoma violated the current Big 12 contract. Just my hope in a settlement.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All Big12 members should forfeit their games against Oklahoma and Texas. Each school would lose revenue for 2 games, but Oklahoma and Texas would lose revenue for all but the game against each other and the then they can rematch in the championship game.
I know this isn’t realistic, but f*ck Oklahoma and Texas.

In a year when the other teams need to show their clout, you think they should forfeit the games that would be huge attention getting wins?