What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

• Stay in Big 12 and Make OK and TX Wait Until 2025

Votes: 154 46.4%
  • Find Another Conference to Jump To Immediately

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • Expand and Try to Stabilize Big 12 Long Term

Votes: 42 12.7%

• Total voters

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I still don't get the attraction that the B1G would have to KU at all? Is just being good at basketball enough?

Legend12

May 9, 2008
Personally I would wait to see what happens with the other conferences and would definitely not look outside of current P5 teams. No reason to bolster other teams value like we did with TCU a decade ago.

My hope is that the legal threats by the Big 12 against ESPN worked to get deal in place and ESPN's cooperation at getting every Big 12 team into a current P5 conference. The Big 12 office seemed to drop their public legal action strategy fairly quickly. There was great potential for some very long term expensive court battles over damages would further bankrupt ESPN. I think it would be relatively easy to prove ESPN initiated this whole mess, and Texas and Oklahoma violated the current Big 12 contract. Just my hope in a settlement.

ESPN is bankrupt?

lmao

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I still don't get the attraction that the B1G would have to KU at all? Is just being good at basketball enough?

Completely agree. KU fans wave the "We are blueblood in bball card"...Then the KU fan base got sent back to reality in the recent Dodds article that showed that KU football actually brings in more revenue than KU bball...lol.. I actually found this surprising as well.

Given that...KU football is truly atrocious. Adding NDSU would be a far better pull for the BIG and far more competetive. That stadium at KU is laughable.

Who knows.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Completely agree. KU fans wave the "We are blueblood in bball card"...Then the KU fan base got sent back to reality in the recent Dodds article that showed that KU football actually brings in more revenue than KU bball...lol.. I actually found this surprising as well.

Given that...KU football is truly atrocious. Adding NDSU would be a far better pull for the BIG and far more competetive. That stadium at KU is laughable.

Who knows.

B1G ain't bringing in NDSU.

• Agree
Reactions: drmwevr08

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That makes sense, kind of. However, market size is a huge factor in determining potential viewership. If Arizona State is doing well, the entire Phoenix market hears about it from local media sources promoting it. If Iowa state is doing well, the entire Des Moines market hears about it and promotes it. Just because Iowa state has better attendance numbers than Arizona state, the potential viewership for Arizona state is still 7X larger.

I live in Phoenix and have personally seen the dramatically increased viewership for both Suns and Cardinals games due to increased success. Winning and success draws viewers and the number of potential viewers is certainly influenced by population size.

What you are saying is true, its better to be good in a large metro area than a smaller one. But you also have to remember that with 3 pro teams in the Phoenix area they are also going to draw fans dollars from ASU. There are only so many dollars going around from fans and the Phoenix area is splitting them a lot of different ways. Here in Iowa there are NO pro teams in any sport, just high minor league, so there tends to be more fans that go to ISU or Iowa than say UA or ASU.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
What you are saying is true, its better to be good in a large metro area than a smaller one. But you also have to remember that with 3 pro teams in the Phoenix area they are also going to draw fans dollars from ASU. There are only so many dollars going around from fans and the Phoenix area is splitting them a lot of different ways. Here in Iowa there are NO pro teams in any sport, just high minor league, so there tends to be more fans that go to ISU or Iowa than say UA or ASU.
Nobody gives a **** about the Cardinals in Phoenix. It's the worst NFL city in the league. The Diamondbacks could leave town and nobody would notice. The Suns do have pretty decent support. It's a transplant city.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

Who knows.
Kansas gets more money from their football rights than their basketball. Let that sink in to let you know how much basketball doesn't matter. AAU though, that is some big money.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

Who knows.

Even KU's "blueblood in bball card" is pretty tarnished. Despite having spent $3 million trying to defend themselves from the NCAA's investigation of their men's basketball program, KU has been charged with 5 Level I violations, including lack of institutional control and head coach responsibility. It doesn't get any more serious than that. Punishment will be announced within the next year by the NCAA's newly formed Independent Accountability Resolution Process (IARP) Panel.

While the NCAA has had a long history of weak punishments to high profile institutions who are guilty of rule violations, I believe this case will be different and the hammer will come down on KU men's basketball. KU didn't do themselves any favors by recently signing Bill Self to a "lifetime" contract and sticking it in the NCAA's face.

The Big 10 presidents and AD's are well aware of all this. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt they'll be excited about adding to their family a famously dirty basketball program that's about to receive enormous sanctions, not to mention the worst football program in the nation.

Reactions: ruflosn

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Nobody gives a **** about the Cardinals in Phoenix. It's the worst NFL city in the league. The Diamondbacks could leave town and nobody would notice. The Suns do have pretty decent support. It's a transplant city.
I could care less, I am not making the case that any of the teams in Phoenix draw well, but in metro of 7X larger than ISU, somehow ISU is outdrawing ASU by about 5,000 fans if not more per game and has for the past 5 to 7 years.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Actually the Cardinals average about 64,000 a game, not bad, tend to be ranked in 22-25 for attendence. Not great but more fans that ASU are drawing by about 10,000 to 15,000 a game.

• Informative
Reactions: Tornado man

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku football pulls in more money than basketball only because of the B12 GOR. Otherwise, Ku basketball has higher revenue than football and tons more contributions. The Dodd numbers simply don't reflect reality. But they do show how financials can be manipulated to tell a story.

• Creative
Reactions: CyCrazy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Now, the people voting for ISU to stay in the Big 12/make UT and OU stay for 4 more seasons: do you think that would actually happen or just thinking ideally?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Now, the people voting for ISU to stay in the Big 12/make UT and OU stay for 4 more seasons: do you think that would actually happen or just thinking ideally?
SEC and ESPN wants OU and UT to join ASAP, they are locked by the contract for 18 more months, which gets us to Jan 2022, they will leave after the spring seasons of 2022 and pay the payout. Under the contract ESPN that started this whole mess will be required to pay the remaining money to the conference until it ends in 2024. They may not like it, but I really cannot see them going to court to break the contract, doing so would be difficult and then it sends a poor message to the other leagues, which I am sure that ESPN would like to bid on those leagues in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I see CFB as a product onto itself. Dilute it too much and it loses it's overall value and contracts start to go down. Not have enough members and it's value is not enough. UNI is as important to the whole equation as ISU, if not for any other reason, but a local opportunity which garners higher interest. If the other conferences stand pat and limit CFP to one per conference, SEC implodes and conferences more geographically align again. All is well except for the few disgruntled ones which 'may' be CFP qualified. But, the product as a 'whole' is healthier and stands to do better. Imagine that playoff. Nationwide interest on a grand scale.