What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

What Should the Remaining Big 12 Schools Do?

• Stay in Big 12 and Make OK and TX Wait Until 2025

Votes: 154 46.4%
  • Find Another Conference to Jump To Immediately

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • Expand and Try to Stabilize Big 12 Long Term

Votes: 42 12.7%

• Total voters

May 7, 2020
I like the idea of waiting it out until 2025 to stick it to OK and TX. Or forcing them to pay the buyout. The downside is if we don't have a plan in place soon, it could hurt recruiting. Uncertainty is never a good thing.
If we had the option to join the Big 10 right away, that's a no brainer.
If we could add the right schools, the Big 12 could be a viable option.

Reactions: chadly82

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
If we get an invite to the big 10 we can’t leave unless the conference dissolves. Sounds like they want to keep the conference together in the meantime. Not great.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Make them wait till 2025. This provides the most amount of money and still be considered "in a power conference". In my opinion, what's going to happen in the Big we will incorporate the good G5 schools and replace the AAC as the best "G5" conference.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think all 8 schools are doing the same thing. On their own, they want an invite to another P4 league. Together, they’re trying to convince everyone to stick together (which is the best case scenario for any school that doesn’t get a P4 invite).

If any of the P4 leagues want you, then you move very fast and you do what OU and UT did - apply for membership beginning 7/1/2025. You aren’t breaking any contracts yet and you’ll wait and see if the league folds earlier and you can go when OU and UT do.

I would be shocked if any of the 8 schools weren’t using this game plan right now. Work hard to see if you can get another spot, and also try to keep the conference as stable as you can while you work.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just a reminder, TV rights negotiations start about 18 months before the end of the previous deal. Assuming the 8 remaining players do not want membership uncertainty to be the overriding theme at that time, the decision to disband or recommit with fresh additions will come by that time. I'm guessing late 2023.

The PAC and B1G will also be negotiating in the same general time frame, so any moves to those conferences will be able to be incorporated into those media rights deals.

I still believe there will be some teams moving to several different conferences where the financial hit will be negligible or minor, but for a couple teams the move will be catastrophic and a threat to the survival of their athletics programs as we know it.

Just sign me up for Group A.

Reactions: t-noah

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
For the time being, they need to say that the plan is to “stay together until 2025”. Make OU/Texas pay up to leave earlier, because you know there is no way they can wait that long. Once they pay up, then the remaining teams can dissolve the conference and move on.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not sure if anyone has thought of this yet, so I'll throw it out:

Iowa State absorbs Kansas State, Baylor, WVU, Texas Tech, Kansas and TCU and they become satellite campuses of Iowa State. We take on and add those players we want to keep from each respective program and cast out the rest. Now covering a massive geographic area, we are much more of a draw for the SEC and we are quickly asked to join, where our new super team will commence kicking the **** out of Texas, as tradition would dictate.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Lots of whispers...getting louder each day...that the B1G is going hard after USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington....and that those schools are going to make the jump. If that happens, our position starts to clarify rapidly. In such an event, the only logical step is for the remnants of the Pac and Big 12 to merge...and perhaps add a team or two to get to 16.

Something like this:

California PodMountain Pod
CalUtah
Washingon StateColorado
Oregon StateArizona
StanfordArizona State
Lone Star PodGreat Plains Pod
Texas TechIowa State
TCUKansas State
BaylorCincinnati
Oklahoma StateKansas

Latest posts