What is the Life Expetancy of HIlton?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When Gene Smith was AD, the residents of Ames voted down a hotel/motel tax increase that would have -- at least in part -- paid for renovations/upgrades to Hilton. This was still when Hilton was hosting a bunch of concerts, so the proposal made sense. Unfortunately, people saw "increased tax" and flipped out. Had they stopped to think, they would have realized that the people actually paying that extra tax wouldn't have even been Ames residents.

Stuff like this, and the aborted mall, are what **** me off about Ames.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Stuff like this, and the aborted mall, are what **** me off about Ames.
So...
why couldn't ISU just fund it themselves? I mean, it's their building. Off the top of my head: Iowa City didn't help fund the Carver-Hawkeye Arena remodeling...the city of West Lafayette didn't help Purdue do the recent expansion of Mackey Arena.

mbbone

Jan 4, 2010
It might also be possible to eliminate some of the vomitories, especially on the end sections and filling in with seats. All that would depend on fire-safety requirements.

I believe this person, because he used "vomitories" in a sentence.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Articles from 1999. At the risk of taking a turn toward the Cave, I'm not surprised that Herman Quirmbach was a vocal dissenter.

Hilton expansion plan hits obstacles - Iowa State Daily: Home

Hilton expansion plans outlined - Iowa State Daily: Home

Ames hotel/motel tax defeated by large margin

You just brought back really bad memories of Econ 101 in about 2005. Guy cancelled a class on Thursday for personal reasons and rescheduled on Saturday morning of parents weekend and told us to bring our parents to class. Can't imagine to many went to that class.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So...
why couldn't ISU just fund it themselves? I mean, it's their building. Off the top of my head: Iowa City didn't help fund the Carver-Hawkeye Arena remodeling...the city of West Lafayette didn't help Purdue do the recent expansion of Mackey Arena.

Because ISU has limited funds?

And the Ames economy benefits a lot from anything that brings more people to town. restaurants are always busy on gamedays, it would have been a good investment for ames to kick in on back then, especially with a hotel tax that ames residents dont pay anyways.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You just brought back really bad memories of Econ 101 in about 2005. Guy cancelled a class on Thursday for personal reasons and rescheduled on Saturday morning of parents weekend and told us to bring our parents to class. Can't imagine to many went to that class.

I dont think anyone that had econ 101 with him had a good experience. I had him my freshman year, fall of 03, was the worst professor i had my entire time at ISU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't really feel like most the stuff put in 7 years ago is really close to needing an upgrade at all. The ribbon board, video board and sound system still seem to work very well and are completely adequate. The seats may be a different story. I always considered them replacing the seat cushions as a temporary fix before a more major overhaul of everything later to come in the future. The seats in general are super outdated and I'd like to see the complete seating structure replaced eventually.

I would agree with you on this. Our video board and sound system have held up better than the one prior did so although its been just as long i dont think we need anything new there yet.

And yeah, the seats could definitely use an upgrade, the last fix was definitely more of a half measure (though much appreciated over the old orange seats)

At some point itd also be nice to see some lighting upgrades so that the lights can be quickly blocked out for effects.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Because ISU has limited funds?

And the Ames economy benefits a lot from anything that brings more people to town. restaurants are always busy on gamedays, it would have been a good investment for ames to kick in on back then, especially with a hotel tax that ames residents dont pay anyways.
Oh, I voted for that hotel/motel tax increase; just seems to me the defeat of that shouldn't have stopped the Hilton renovation in its tracks...we have a lot more TV money coming in now and in the future. Other universities (with "limited funds" also) seem to find a way. A renovation to Hilton should be an ISU priority. Again, it's their building.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
And as a previous poster said, now Wells Fargo is the go to for promoters. I remember hearing back in the day (when I got a tour of hilton as a student) Hilton was managed by a major promotor. So, all the management of tickets, staffing, etc wasn't handled by ISU. Those promoters booked shows for all their venues (and it was the same company that managed Madison Square Garden), so when a band signed a contract for 25 venues, the promoter made their money, even if Hilton didn't hold its own weight (because three sold out shows at the Garden made up for it, etc).

I do miss having big name shows come through, but until our athletics staff doesn't have the capacity to do a lot of major shows (contacts, etc).
One time an act cancelled at Hilton and a youthful John Denver subbed just by his lonesome. Very good show.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Honestly, with some of the structural problems the building was having in the 70's and 80's, I'm a little surprised it has lasted this long. At that time, the outer walls in the upper levels were already separating a bit. Enough so that there was a problem with snow blowing in on some of the seats in the upper balcony. Obviously, they got those problems fixed.

You can't get 5000 more seats in there unless you went to really narrow seats, and given the increasing girth of the average American, that does not seem like a viable option. You could add some seats on the parquet level by taking out the wall at the top of the sections and narrowing the inner concourse level. You could gain at least one row, and maybe 2 there.

You could add some seats to the balcony by using somewhat more narrow seats, and narrowing the aisles in between. It might also be possible to eliminate some of the vomitories, especially on the end sections and filling in with seats. All that would depend on fire-safety requirements.

One of the original plans called for suites behind the side sections of the parquet only, and re-configuring the access to the balcony sections. There were only like 8 suites planned, iirc.

No matter what, unless you completely gut the building and start over on the inside, you are not going to increase the capacity much past 16 or 17 thousand maximum. With what that would cost, it would be probably as cost-effective to try and build a new arena.

BTW.....the story about the bathrooms being forgotten originally may have been true. It was a story that went around when the building first opened, and was even used as part of the tour guide information in the early years.

That's crazy if true.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I dont think anyone that had econ 101 with him had a good experience. I had him my freshman year, fall of 03, was the worst professor i had my entire time at ISU.

I had probably the 2 worst professors while at ISU- Quirmbach and Dean Anderson. Anderson taught EXSP 360 (Sociology of Sport and Exercise)- dude came right out in the first class and said quite bluntly 60 percent of you will fail my class..... at the end of the semester, I was one of them....

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I live in a 90 year old house that is in fantastic shape and has been remodeled several times. When you think about the longevity of some of the traditional football stadiums around the country, I can't imagine why they won't be able to get a few more decades out of Hilton. It's not as if it was build in a way that would limit your seating to something far below demand.

Keep updating it and making cosmetic improvements and we should get at least 20+ more years out of it, IMO.

From what I understand. Hilton was made with reinforced concrete which disintegrates no matter how well it is maintained. It has something to do with interaction with atmosphere and temperature extremes.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
"GET ABOVE CARVER CAPACITY AT ALL COSTS" - Someone, probably

****** post.

Let's be real...us ISU fans have no problem calling basketball superiority despite a smaller arena. Your seating doesn't really scare us in basketball. In football, yes.