What does ISU do with LJ?

What should LJ's punishment be?

• Out against KU - He was just being aggressive

Votes: 112 39.0%
  • Out against KU plus unspecified team sanctions (ala Bass)

Votes: 104 36.2%
  • Suspended for 1 game after KU

Votes: 38 13.2%
  • Suspended for 2 or more games after KU

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Don't let the door hit ya in the rear

Votes: 17 5.9%

• Total voters

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I would put this in the game thread, but this is really a topic that goes beyond just the UNLV game.

I don't think LJ is a bad person. I think he's a very talented player. But he has GOT to learn how to play football instead of just hitting, and he's going to have to learn his lesson when it comes to personal fouls.

That cheap shot in the endzone is inexcusable. It goes well beyond being aggressive. It's a lack of respect for the opposition, the game of football, the ISU football team, and Iowa State University.

He embarrassed our entire program and university with that play, and he hurt his team.

I honestly don't think it's too far to kick him off the team, but I think giving him a chance to lean from his mistakes is important too. After all, he's a young kid who has a lot to learn beyond just about the game of football.

That being said, what do you guys think?

Reactions: MidwestZest

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well clearly he's done tonight and can't play next week, by rule.

IMO, at minimum, he should miss the following game. I'm not one that thinks he did anything malicious last week - but tonight certainly does not help his case.

Need to make sure he understands what he did tonight was not intolerable and make an example of him for the rest of the team.

The BS stops now...no more excuses of "aggressive play" or whatever.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
I agree with you. Kicking him off the team is an option that should be seriously considered.

I think that is an emotional decision to make right now though, espeically with the game unfolding as it is. I think a more cool-headed decision would be to continue to play him, but let him know if he slips up one more time he'll either be kicked off the team or benched for the rest of the season at least.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, I assumed we had an authoritarian coach who coached disciplined football yet it appears with all these personal fouls that it isn't a very tight ship. If players aren't taking their head coach seriously, I don't know what's left.

Reactions: Wesley

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
It goes beyond that play, IMO.

We have two more PF's in the first quarter. I had to leave the bar and haven't been able to watch since the end of the first - so I can only presume that we have perhaps two more.

This PF situation is epidemic. Only a handful have been face-mask or the bs helmet to helmet call last week. Vast majority have been "I'm tougher than you". It's down right embarrassing. And I'm concered with the coaches inability to stop it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Kicking him off the team should be strongly considered. I voted for the suspension plus unidentified sanctions, but would certainly include an explanation to him of exactly what will cause him to be kicked off the team, and that there is maybe one strike before that happens.

Or just give him KFs number, since they love dirty guys out there.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Kicking him off the team should be strongly considered. I voted for the suspension plus unidentified sanctions, but would certainly include an explanation to him of exactly what will cause him to be kicked off the team, and that there is maybe one strike before that happens.

Or just give him KFs number, since they love dirty guys out there.

Jeesh - not sure I would do that to my worst enemy.....

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm not voting, I don't know him, I don't know his explanation, it's not my job, and I'm not Gene Chizik. It's his job, and I trust he'll do what he needs to do to get through to the kid.

Reactions: cyingreen

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Keep him out a couple games, run him until he wishes he was kicked off the team, then hope he can come back a changed man.

hilbs31

Apr 1, 2006
Yeah, sure. Kick him off the team for losing his cool a couple of times in a football game. The recruits will be lining up to get to Ames.

Good thinking.

Reactions: jperickson23

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I'm not voting, I don't know him, I don't know his explanation, it's not my job, and I'm not Gene Chizik. It's his job, and I trust he'll do what he needs to do to get through to the kid.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
No idea what is going on with him. From everything I have read about him, he seems like a good kid. but I certainly won't imagine that I know better than the coaches. I trust they will do the right thing.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
I agree with you. Kicking him off the team is an option that should be seriously considered.

I think that is an emotional decision to make right now though, espeically with the game unfolding as it is. I think a more cool-headed decision would be to continue to play him, but let him know if he slips up one more time he'll either be kicked off the team or benched for the rest of the season at least.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Coach him. He's young. He didn't rob somebody at gunpoint, it's football. Coach him. That's why you're making so much money. Coach him.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Kicking him off the team would be possibly the worst idea ever. Coach him. How can one expect to recruit if you're kicking people off the team for losing their cool in the moment?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Bench him that is just uncalled for. He is killing the team and not helping them, but others with those uncalled for as well. I am sick and tired of this ISU team killing themselves with selfish penalties. The coaches need to REALLY address this problem if it stops we give ourselves more opportunities of winning.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Having him watch our backup let the winning pass go right over his head... along with watching KU toss the ball around on us while his butt is on the sideline should be enough.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Kicking him off is a bit extreme. I am sure he will pay for what he did. Missing a few extra games would be proper.

C

Cyclone42

I voted for "suspend for one game after KU". However, let's see how the KU game goes without him. If we do well without him, make that very clear to him, that we are better by subtraction where he is concerned, that his fouls cost us more than his aggressive play. Then bump him to third-string. In other words, play him, but only in emergencies. The humiliation alone of being third-string would shape him up, I think.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron