What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Not sure if this is a dig at the Iowa men's team or not.

She's a great women's player. She is the women's version of Pete Maravich. But, let's get real here. She wouldn't even get a shot off in a men's game if the opponent didn't want her to. She would be the smallest, slowest and weakest player on the floor. By far. Imagine your run of the mill 6-3 male d-1 point guard flying around the court against women teams.
I agree with your post 99.9%,

However, in my opinion Nancy Lieberman would be the women's version of Pistol Pete.

Clark, while a great player, isn't close to Lieberman.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
They are unless someone leaves after the NCAA's. Somebody might. Folks taking 5th years like Czinano and now Martin and Marshall sort of complicate the recruiting. Other than bringing in Molly Davis as a reserve guard, Bluder hasn't exacting hit the portal. Iowa will also be carrying their injured 2023 recruit on the roster. She's not likely to ever be able to play but they are honoring their scholarship to her after the tragic car accident. They could get a medical waiver for that scholarship but that would require her to "retire" and give up on her dream to play again.

I just think this stuff tends to work itself out if you really want it too, there's usually some attrition and I imagine they could kinda gently nudge some folks who are unlikely to ever played out the door if they really wanted to ("you are welcome to stay but if you want to play it likely won't happen here" or something to that effect). Season is still going so they haven't had post season meetings and all that, I would be surprised if there aren't a couple transfers out to a lower level from the bench players. Usually kids want to play and they have a bunch who likely aren't going to anytime soon. But you are correct that they haven't been huge portal shoppers to this point so they might just try to make it work with the girls they have and hope for some internal development from the young ones like Gyamfi

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CybertGil

Mar 29, 2023
Generational talent is just not true. The player from Oregon was a more efficient version of her and that wasn’t long ago.

CC's player efficiency rating through her junior year is 37.5. Ionescu's PER for her career was 33.5.

Ionescu had a better assist to turnover ratio, but CC makes up for it because she is better scorer. Part of that CC's higher volume from 3 which increases her points per attempt, but she's also a significantly better shooter inside the arc than Ionescu was, giving her both a higher true FG% and a higher eFG%.

If she wanted to switch jerseys, I'd contribute to that NIL fund. I would take her exactly as she is and I would love it. I feel the same way about most of their stars that I've disliked.

Reactions: tavrncy

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
No idea what Bluder will do- but with the Final 4 and Clark exposure and the bulk of the team coming back next year, she should be able to have the pick of the Transfer Portal. Go find a post or three to replace Warnock and Czinano - players who can run the floor and finish off passes but don't need the ball in their hands. That really shouldn't be a problem in this day and age.
If the 2023-2024 season were to start today, she would have no spots on her roster for transfers because they will be maxed on scholarships. So, unless she loses a couple of players from the current team, she isn't going to the portal for players.

Monday’s news, coupled with Iowa Coach Lisa Bluder’s subsequent confirmation that McKenna Warnock will conclude her career after this season to pursue dental school, means that Iowa will operate at the 15-scholarship limit next season.

Reactions: agentbear

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

However, in my opinion Nancy Lieberman would be the women's version of Pistol Pete.

Never heard of her. Honestly. When did she play?

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Yeah, the selfish take is what people think that only see the highlights of her shooting logo 3's. She is probably the most gifted passer I can remember seeing in the women's game. Granted I haven't really ever been tuned into the women's game
The Louisville game was the first game I tuned in and actively watched. Her passing abilities are insane. Some of the cross court passes she was zipping around were incredible.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

The eras debate is so tricky in any sport and worse in women's. Lieberman played right after Title IX and before the NCAA was even sponsoring women's sports. There were tons of high schools that didn't have girls sports let alone colleges and universities.

It's the Babe Ruth/Negro Leagues argument that is almost impossible to have a 'right' answer to.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have absolutely no ill will towards Caitlin. She's an incredible player and I like her passion. I don't think her "antics" are anything over the top and honestly we see it in the men's game all the time and don't bat an eye. Am I actively rooting for her? Not necessarily. But I don't dislike her and don't hold strong opinions about her having success.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
The Louisville game was the first game I tuned in and actively watched. Her passing abilities are insane. Some of the cross court passes she was zipping around were incredible.

Yeah some of those live dribble passes she throws to the opposite corner on an absolute rope are stuff you just almost never see in women's basketball outside of a handful of WNBA players. And even in men's basketball it's relatively rare. Really think she's one of the handful of best passers on earth full stop. It's definitely her best skill which is saying something with the shooting

Reactions: agentbear

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The eras debate is so tricky in any sport and worse in women's. Lieberman played right after Title IX and before the NCAA was even sponsoring women's sports. There were tons of high schools that didn't have girls sports let alone colleges and universities.

It's the Babe Ruth/Negro Leagues argument that is almost impossible to have a 'right' answer to.
Maybe.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Should have clarified if you like a similar style of play to myself. If you're into the trash talking / throwing your hands up every time their is a foul call, then sure, you can be a fan. I'm entertained by her style of play, but I'll never root for her.
I believe acting classes are a requirement to be an Iowa basketball player. It probably is a 5 credit course, pass-fail.;)

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Nah. MBB is called so differently from WBB, defenders are allowed to be way more physical than in WBB, she'd never be able to adapt, plus she's barely 6' tall, her shots would be getting blocked left and right.
She might get one shot off, but after that she would have to shoot from the other free throw line, Have you watched the physicality of the men's game? How much of a pounding do you think she could take?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
She's like 2nd all time in assists at Iowa.

Clark gets lots of attention for her scoring, but against South Carolina, I think her assists will be more important.

If Clark gets 40 points and 10 assists, Hoks lose.

If Clark gets 20 points and 20 assists, Hoks have a chance.

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron