What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In one of the best episodes ever of the Title IX podcast, Steph and Alisa have a great debate about Caitlin Clark. Should we met at least generally supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports? Or must we not care about her because of our dislike for the Hoks? Epic discussion on the podcast.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
In one of the best episodes ever of the Title IX podcast, Steph and Alisa have a great debate about Caitlin Clark. Should we met at least generally supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports? Or must we not care about her because of our dislike for the Hoks? Epic discussion on the podcast.

She is good for womens sports on the margin. I will say, it would be tough to be a teammate of hers, because she’s taking like 70% of the teams shots.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was in the Twin Cities last Saturday and went to the Iowa women's Big 10 tournament game. I entered the Target Center as a member of Team Steph. I thought it would be cool to see Caitlin Clark in person on a really big stage in an important game. Who knows, she might do something really extraordinary and I could see it. And tickets were General Admission, so it was easy to find a really good single seat.

By the time the game was over, I had switched to Team Alisa, mostly because of the fans. There were around 10,000 people there and probably 9,000 were Hok fans. They even referred to it as "Carver North" because of all the (Eastern) Iowa fans that came up. As if going to the Twin Cities once is the same as what Iowa State fans do to earn the name "Hilton South" for the Sprint/T-Mobile Center.

Very shortly after arriving, I was surprised at how similar the EIU WBB fans were to EIU wrestling fans. You know the way that they scream for a stalling call every time an opponent takes a breath? It was like that every time there was any contact with a Hok player or any time there was a close call by the refs. My favorite was when they would scream at the refs when a Maryland player would occasionally use a chicken wing on a drive to the hoop. As if Caitlin Clark doesn't do it 30 times a game!

Sorry Steph, but I have defected to Team Alisa!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

I don't really pay attention to women's basketball. I watch ISU in the tournament. I see Clark highlights on the news. She's a good shooter and seems to plays like a guy. That's about it.

Last edited:

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Luka Garza was a great player who busted his butt to get to where he was too. Overcame a 9 pound stomach cyst and was pretty much self made. He was good for basketball too but i wasnt going to cheer for him because he is a hawk. Thats part of the rivalry. I dont make the rules.

We have a pretty good player on our own team if we are looking to cheer on a woman player. No she doesnt get the notoriety but our fans showing up every night to watch those girls furthers womens basketball too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A great player and a generational talent, but I'm tired of the media SLOBBERING all over every time.

I don't live in Iowa and unless I catch the BTN I hardly ever see anything about her.

Was home last weekend though and it was big fish/small pond city.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Watched the Big 10 final last weekend. First time my wife has ever watched her play, she's not a sports fan and as neutral as they come, just sitting there watching the game and all the sudden my wife says, they are up 40 and all she does is complain I can't stand her. First time I have ever heard her say something like that about any athlete so I decided it wasn't just me and my cardinal and gold glasses on.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Looks like I should have included an option for those of you who don't care because you don't care about women's basketball. However, I think Steph would challenge you to at least recognize that Clark seems to be having a net positive affect for women's sports. You don't have to like the Hoks or women's sports to be on Team Steph.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Looks like I should have included an option for those of you who don't care because you don't care about women's basketball. However, I think Steph would challenge you to at least recognize that Clark seems to be having a net positive affect for women's sports. You don't have to like the Hoks or women's sports to be on Team Steph.

What are these net positive affects and how are they measured?

Reactions: cyking

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What are these net positive affects and how are they measured?

Have you listened to the discussion on the podcast?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My opinion of "good for the sport" varies from what gets thrown around.

I have a hard time saying a player is good for the sport just by being a good player. Are they a good teammate? Do they try to better their teammates at the expense of personal glory? Do they play fairly? Do they work harder than their talent? Do they whine when things don't go their way? Are they charitable outside of the sport? Do they interact well with fans?

People like Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Jack Johnson, Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters were good for their respective sport by bringing diversity to the game.

Athletes that set up charities and programs to help the sick or unprivileged are good for the sport. Athletes that donate their time to causes without ulterior motives are good for the sport.

Athletes that are good or great are still good or great athletes. They are great for their respective fanbases, but that's where it stops for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.